Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as slr's go I have maintained Pentax as the camera of choice. I picked up various compact cameras over the as light weight carry cameras when the bulk of the slr was too much. They have included a Minolta Hi-matic 35mm, a Fuji autofocus compact 35mm zoom and a range of Fuji bridge cameras. These models include the S5000, the S1000fd and the S1500 my girlfriend bought for me. Smaller point and shoot type include the MX-700 (I still have it and it works) the A607, and the A700 (I still use this one as well).

My first camera I ever had was an old Kodak X-15 126 film camera. As simple as it was, I liked it a lot and that was the reason I carried on with photography using the Pentax system.

I also bought an old Sony Mavica MVC-FD71 off of e-bay to try it out. I like the look of the low res pictures it creates.

04-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

As systems go, well, I started with like Canon FT's, had a brief diversion to Miranda as a kid, and pretty much stayed with the FD mount till sometime in the 80's when I considered jumping somewhere else before making some purchases, (And cause a lot of companies were going plasticky, of which I did not approve: I think Olympus got the most serious consideration, cause Nikon was too pricey, Exposure to great Nikon snobbery really didn't encourage that course, but I'd have been prepared to get over it: Pentax for 35mm, well, it would have had to be at least one LX, and those were unobtanium to my budget. )

...But I ended up staying with Canon FD to this day. Pentax came in when a chance to DSLR appeared, and I've of course added a couple of old film bodies. This, I plan to let ride for a while unless my needs and means change significantly: right now a K-5 for what it costs in a couple of years is the camera to beat if anyone wants me to switch. If I've got a Limited or two by then, that won't be too easy.

But, back in the day, I shot the Pentax 6x7 for MF, and have now gotten hold of some Mamiya: I guess that counts as a switch. Though there was a gap of some years in there. I'm not fully-invested here, though: I don't plan to spend much more on this setup till I know where I'll be, and it's all been on hold since I got this chance to scrape up digital and modernize my skills a little while the economy's been bad for trying to make a few bucks. I've considered switching to a 6x6 and/or Bronica for the sake of finders Mamiya just never made, (45 degree and rotary, respectively, which would be a real help to me,) but I'm kind of in love with the Mamiya 110 lens and they do have some other glass others just don't. I've been leaning toward sticking for the sake of not-switching, in general, though.

If there's one thing I lean conservative about, it's gear. That's OK, though: it generally suits my purse.
04-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I can attest to Nikon and, for that matter, Canon snobbery. However, since my switch to Nikon, I've received plenty from Oly and Pentax folks, too.

I think it depends on if you're a photographer, or a techie. Photographers seem to respect the gear as tools, and judge the product created from the melding of those tools and the vision of the person. Techies don't go beyond the gear/software.*

*there are, of course exceptions.
04-14-2011, 05:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

With regards to "pentax color"

I was also into this statement and when I purchased a Nikon and seeing pics from friends Canon's I personally found it wasn't the case.

For example;

why would the K5 give better color than the D7000 - both share the same sensor?

To the switching brands;

1st = Minolta
2nd = Nikon film
3rd = Contax film
4th = Minolta film
5th = Olympus Digital
6th = Pentax Digital
7th = Nikon Digital

Notice the lack of Pentax!

Up untill 2006 I didn't know they existed!!!

04-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I can attest to Nikon and, for that matter, Canon snobbery. However, since my switch to Nikon, I've received plenty from Oly and Pentax folks, too.

I think it depends on if you're a photographer, or a techie. Photographers seem to respect the gear as tools, and judge the product created from the melding of those tools and the vision of the person. Techies don't go beyond the gear/software.*

*there are, of course exceptions.
Yeah, (Though, *Canon* snobbery? What's the world come to: we were among the underdogs back in the day, and folks should remember where they 'came from.' ) ...though the Nikon snobbery was kind of about *status* in the trades back then, a certain amount of classism, and, well, occasionally an outlet for macho stuff, (Or being a little patronizing about being 'helpful,' but a little tolerance for that meant you could learn a thing or two here and there. I *was,* after all, pretty young. ) ...more than so much about marketing as 'pro stuff' to amateurs and computerey-geekiness and all. We were the poor cousins, though: the assumption would be you aren't making enough *bank* to of course buy certain Nikons, and therefore must suck or something.

But, a little good-natured tribalism about silly stuff can be amusing, at least till it gets to the point of 'no fun.' I won't say I wasn't rubbed the wrong way enough times that it wasn't a bit of a dissuading factor in terms of going out of my way to switch there, though. (Not as *much* of a factor as, say, preferring not to retrain on dials that turned the other way if I didn't have to: I was *fast* with the stuff I knew. But a factor. I didn't like most of where Canon was going, regardless, but they were still making the good stuff, mostly, anyway. )

I think Pentaxians do get a little used to someone who doesn't-know what they're doing getting snobby about brand names when they're toting the kit lens or something, so if it's ever uncalled-for, try and take it with a grain of salt.

Brand identification is funny. But I think one can actually take a little bit of pride in the whole 'being different' thing. I place a lot of importance on things the other brands don't stress or do quite as well, and less on some of the 'high-performance' computing and such, ...and one thing I learned from working retail is that sometimes a small difference in specs or emphasis is less important to a lot of people than, 'I can see you just plain *like* this better, and it'll do this job almost as good or pretty good.' (As long as it can, of course: these days if someone was thinking 'sophisticated flash, flash, flash,' Pentax wouldn't be where I'd send them. ) People get better photos overall if they *like* their stuff than if they don't so much and say 'Well, this is 'better,''

And I'm much the same way, even knowing what I need, want, prioritize, and can obtain. Can't wait to get into some of the more-advanced AF, of later models, (and an AF button on the grip,) but in the meantime, I *like* this K20d. I'm very tactile and kinesthetic about my shooting, so how something feels is a big one. Stuff like high FPS (Hec, 4 or 5 *is* high-speed to me,) really high flash synch or really high shutter speeds aren't much of a priority. I'd probably still be scoffing at AF at *all* if my eyes were what they used to be.

I need good glass, notably small primes in some of these less-standard FLs, durable stuff, weatherliness, and handling, mostly. A shutter release I can handhold a few stops under rule-of-thumb with before I even turn on the SR... Can't beat that. (I really hope the K-5 fits me as well. ...I want the best and most precise finder I can lay hands to (On this Pentax does well by comparison, but I would have them truly excel on this point.) and I could probably find a use for about any degree of more- high ISO they can manage.
Seems they're going in the right direction as far as *my* priorities are concerned. If AF and dedicated flash are going to be there, the better they are, the better, of course, but it seems they're at least keeping pace with my budget on these matters. But, hey, the most important part of the flash system to me is the old-fashioned PC port right on the side there.

(Too bad about the currency thing and demand for Limiteds, but I'll get there. )

Which is a long way around saying, if you know what you need and want, then the smart thing to do is go with the brand that provides it. People *are* different in these regards, so 'snobbery' or 'brand loyalty' are kind of secondary. Even if one can have fun being a disparate clan of photographic 'oddballs' about it.
04-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Given the quality I've seen from Zuiko lenses, i nearly switched to Olympus. Then I got my wife one and now I don't have to switch. Plus I think the e5 is probably the last serious dslr oly is going to make and I want to wait until the m4/3 procamera comes out. As much as I love pentax I still haven't seen anything that matches oly's 50mm macro for sharpness or IQ. I would love to get her the 35-100 f/2 but that lens is worth more than my car.
05-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #22

I bought K-x thinking that i will go along with Pentax models for years to come also, but recently i have change my mind. K-x will be my first and last Pentax camera, no idea what the next will be. I'll keep k-x and lenses i have for one more year i guess, but what got me away from Pentax is not the camera itself, which i believe is very good for the money. Simply the other things you need to use with the camera are close to non-existent. I can't try lenses unless i go 500 km, i have to find on another continent a darn AC adapter cable, second hand market is very thin on lenses and the prices are high. Around me i can test and play only with other brands (both cameras and lenses). I only saw a k-r in one year. Pentax reps in Romania, through their online store, have now a big anniversary discount (17%) but guess what, there's close to nothing available (you can get though 18-55, 50-200 ). I just had to get this out, you can "troll" me or whatever if you like. Either way this is my last "negative" post about equipment. Have fun taking photos.

05-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

There is a good chance I will be Pentax free early next year. Great brand but I just don't enjoy DSLR's. I just got a Fuji X100 and will be going for the GXR next. I'm waiting on Olympus to see what the EP3 has to offer. If I don't like it I will go with the G3. That said if I keep a DSLR it will be Pentax.
06-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

"Switching brands" isn't part of my vocabulary. I buy items, not brands. My SLR's have been Chinon, Olympus, Pentax, Praktica, and others. My TLR's have been Argus, Minolta, Yashica and others. My RF's have been Argus, Canon, Kodak, Olympus, Yashica, and others. My film P&S's have been Canon, Kodak, Minolta, and others. My digital P&S's have been Minolta, Olympus, Sakar, Sony, and others. Et focking cetera.

Yes, I have spent almost as much on 10 PK-mount AF lenses as on the 200 others, so for dSLR's, I'm Pentaxian. But most of my lenses are screwmounts that can be used on almost any modern system -- except Nikon, and I have a few that'll work there too. For a next camera, I'm seriously considering Sony, either the A850 (FF) if I get rich, or a NEX -- which will drive me to new frenzies of cheap LBA, I'm sure. Either will let me use virtually all the lenses I can mount on my K20D.

But I go for the item, not the brand name. If Pentax can out-NEX the NEX, great! If not, too bad.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-10-2011 at 08:06 PM.
06-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #25
Forum Member

Not really sure. I flip flop a fair bit, I grew up with Olympus film cameras, and digital compacts and bridges. When I went DSLR it was first with a Nikon, as I couldn't afford the Oly I wanted. I soon gave that D40 up as it really is a nasty camera, and moved back to my Olympus bridge till I could afford an E520.

Wasn't long before the perfomance of that started to grate, but I really didn't want to loose the Olympus feel I so much like. It was after much deliberation that I eventually plumped for the Panasonic GH1, which I still use and adore. Sure it has faults, like the whole JPEG processing section but it makes up for it in being such a versatile little beast.

I still have an Olympus SLR, an OM2 Spot Program, which is on the back burner having been replaced by my Pentax Super A for everyday film use. I've often considered a Pentax DSLR to take advantage of the same lenses, but in the same vein as Olympus unless you buy the top model the performance isn't all that. (Except the colour - I have never known a system produce such consistent and beautiful colours!)

As it happens I have just bought an ME body, and have just been looking at a Panasonic L1 or L10. I don't think I'll buy one unless it's dirt cheap though.

One thing's fopr sure, I will never buy a Canon or Sony, Nothing they make is vaguely attractive to me. Nikon, well if I HAD to go full frame then it would be with a Nikon, but It wouldn't be enjoyable.

I do wish Pentax, Olympus or Panasonic would break into FF.
06-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Zero times almost switching. My equipment (usually) just works and does what I ask of it.
06-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #27

canon lens adapter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I used Canon SLRs from 1966 to 1974 and Pentax 35mm , 67 and DSLRs (2005 )from 1974 to the present. In Dec 2010 I purchased the Panasonic GH2 and GH1 in Jan. I purchased a Canon K mount lens adapter last fall thinking I was going to get a 60D but purchased the GH2 instead .

does the AF work with the adapter? i would love to have the canon 100-400 but don't want to switch to canon. thanks.
06-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kat1351 Quote
does the AF work with the adapter? i would love to have the canon 100-400 but don't want to switch to canon. thanks.
I think he was talking about the K mount to Canon adapter, i.e. using K mount lenses on a Canon body.

With regards to adapting a 100-400, Birger is working (I think) on an E mount to EF mount adapter that would let you retain autofocus and aperture control when using Canon EF lenses on a Sony E mount (NEX) body. However, I would not expect the autofocus to perform anywhere near as well as the lens does "natively" on a Canon body.

The 100-400 is a heck of a deal though, so if you really want/need that focal length consider just picking up a used 40D body or something similar to use with it.
06-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Personally I find the righteousness of 'little' brand users as annoying and prevalent as the snobbery of the 'big' brand users...

Bear in mind this comes from someone who has used Sony, Pentax, Olympus and Panasonic, and never owned a CaNikon...
06-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

thought of switching once or twice but found the cost too prohibitive (and really, the k5 does more than i need)