Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another option to consider: I recently bought an old IDs classic to explore FF with. $500 on Clist. Better AF and nicer images, frankly, than I got from a 5D I bought, for more money, to scratch the same itch. Downside: Heavy, poor battery life, small slow buffer. But great for landscape and portrait. Don't plan to ditch my Pentax gear, though.

05-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K5 is Pentax's premier aps-c dslr and should be compared to the likes of the 7D wr auto-focus capability and tunability.

It does not even come close to the serious amateur shooter D7000 in terms of auto-focus capability with regards shooting all genre

Nikon will soon have their latest pro version aps-c dslr and ff.

When this happens the likes of the D700 and D300s will be had for bargains which have easily better af than the K5.

When Canon releases the 5D mk111 it will have the af capability of the 7D and the 5D MK11 will be had for a bargain and having used a 5DMK11 it's af speed via centre point and used with usm lens will easily give the K5 a little spanking;-)

The good thing about this for the Pentax users is that the K5 will have to reduce it's selling price dramatically when the above happens to remain financially competitive and the K5 will become an absolute bargain.

Pentax really needs to up it's game with regards to af and also with better zooms with usm.
05-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #18
Inactive Account

If only I liked Nikon bodies. IMO the buttons feel so wrong and have a strange logic.
Otherwise yes, I totally agree with you dylansalt.
05-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #19
Inactive Account

I have a Pentax K-5 and the sigma 300mm f2.8 and 500mm 4.5 lens. Pentax isn't stupid. It's AF system can not handle a 300mm f2.8 lens period. It is a joke. It AF all over the place at 2.8. Just a plain JOKE. The 500 is ok because of the f4.5. But even then. If you get a small object it is the same as the 300. When the AF system can handle good fast glass it will be avaliable from Hoya. I have said it before. I will never buy another Pentax product except for an ocasional camera body because i have the two lenses. I was just stupid not to research before i bought.
I am heading back to the States in two weeks and will buy my first Canon body and lens. I will give a review of the two. I do not know which will win. But if Canon is as bad as Pentax then they are fooling alot of shooters.