Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Any S95 / LX5 owners?

I'm thinking about picking up one of the two, leaning towards the Lumix LX-5. Any thoughts on these two? I would like something I can stick into my pocket or carry on bike rides without adding bulk. I have been disappointed with every point n' shoot I've ever used, especially with shutter lag. How do these behave?

Thanks!
Greg

06-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The S95 is a superb little camera. Great user interface, solid build, and excellent IQ for a point and shoot. I looked long and hard at this one and the LX5, and the S95 won out for being more pocketable. The big advantage of the LX5 is that the lens remains fairly fast throughout while the S95 slows down significantly on the "long" end. But if that is not a real problem, I would vote S95.
06-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I debated between these two plus the SX30is at the time and the SX30is won but for pocketability it's the S95 even though i just ordered the LX5 fyi there's an update coming soon for the S95 according to Canon rumours
06-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
Eh yeah I was afraid of that, as soon as I buy a new thing a newer thing comes out. I'll hold off and see what's in store :-) Thanks for your input.
Greg.

06-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #5

I'm thinking about an advanced compact that poketable after a long long weekend in lisbon and wishing I always had a good camra on me all the time, leaning towards the s95 also but I will look more at the lx5 and posibley the nikon p300 though I dont thing thats quite in the same league. If an upgrade to the s95 is comming I would probaly just get the s95 the for hopefuly less. The upgrade would have to do a lot more for me to get the upgrade.
07-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just went with the LX5. I think the things that tipped it for me was the AF and zoom in video mode, which the S95 cannot do, and also the Leica lens technology. and oh, it's also not a Canon
07-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a S90 which has pretty well identical IQ to a S95. I haven't warmed to it to be honest, the IQ might be good for a P&S but to my eyes it's pretty bad to the extent I barely use it. In hindsight I wish I'd sucked it up and bought one of the m4/3s with 20mm prime instead, at least that would be within touching distance of my DSLR gear.

07-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #8

Greg-

If you're not locked into either of these two, you may want to consider an Olympus XZ-1. I was going to pull the trigger on an s95 before I found out about the XZ-1. It's got an f1.8 lens (stops down to 2.5 on zoom, I believe), and is very responsive. Little shutter lag, and w/that lens I rarely use the flash. I'm very pleased! If you're concerned about size, it's a little bigger than an LX 5, but can be taken mobile slung over your shoulder (it rides on my back on bicycle rides). On the motorcycle, it'll go in the tank bag. I posted a review link yesterday a.m.- you may want to check it out.

-Matt
07-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That XY-1 is almost exactly the same spec and size as the LX5, save for the longer/faster lens. I ordered the LX5 from B&H Tuesday evening and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I'd like to check the Olympus out. There is a local camera shop that carries Olympus, so I am going to stop there and check it out this afternoon. If I really like it, I can always send the LX5 back without even opening it. Thanks for the tip.
07-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The S95 is a superb little camera. Great user interface, solid build, and excellent IQ for a point and shoot. I looked long and hard at this one and the LX5, and the S95 won out for being more pocketable. The big advantage of the LX5 is that the lens remains fairly fast throughout while the S95 slows down significantly on the "long" end. But if that is not a real problem, I would vote S95.
I agree except that I found the S95 to be too small and induced camera shake (and I have steady, steady hands). Great indoors, but matched by far cheaper cams outdoors.
07-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I also chose the S95 for being more "pocketable", but have some buyer's remorse since I don't use it too often. Since I made the switch to DSLRs two years ago, it feels weird to use a point and shoot again. One day I put the camera to eye-level and quickly realized there was no view-finder. Force of habit.

Anyhow, the IQ is good for a point and shoot, but if I were to go back and do it all again, I think I'd get the LX5 instead. Mainly because I wish the S95 had a wider lens and a hot shoe.
07-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
If I really like it, I can always send the LX5 back without even opening it. Thanks for the tip.
My pleasure! I won't be getting rid of my K10 anytime soon, but this camera is just so neat... I've been taking it w/me everywhere. I'm thinking of getting the optional electronic viewfinder for times when it's hard to see the OLED display outdoors...
Attached Images

07-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think you made the right choice on the LX5...leave the Oly and embrace your original decision. LX3 and LX5 are the ones the others are trying to beat, but haven't quite done it.

Jason
07-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #14
rhe
Closed Account

We have the LX5 and both my wife and I use it extensively especially when travelling. I have given our previous LX2 to my son who enjoys using it when he travels.

Both the LX5 and the LX2 are very good advanced point & shoot cameras and I would recommend them highly!
07-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I took the XZ-1 out for a spin yesterday and spent about an hour with it. Overall it is a very nice camera, and I can see why you really like it. The woman behind the counter described it as the coolest camera on earth. AF is fast, and the image quality looks to be at least equal to the LX95. However, despite the fact that these two cameras have nearly the same form factor, I decided to stick with the LX5 in the end and here's why.
  • XZ-1 Lens advantage is more reach, while the LX5 is wider at 24mm. For me, I'd prefer the wider lens to the additional length. Also, although the Zuiko lens is f/1.8, the f/2.0 lens on the LX5 is only 1/3 stop slower, so this faster lens does not overcome the wider lens on the LX5 for me.
  • The LX5 has a more flexible movie mode. The XZ-1 saves in M-JPEG only while the LX5 can also record in ACVHD Lite. I plan on ditching my video camera after I make this purchase.
  • The LX5 has a multi-aspect ratio sensor so all of the aspect ratios have about 10mp, whereas the XZ-1 crops the sensor to achieve a different aspect ratio. Not really a problem because I would just do any aspect ratio change in PP in that case, but it is nice not to lose any pixels.
  • The LX5 has a physical switch to change focus mode and I found the XZ-1 to be a little cumbersome to change through the menus. I am not talking about switching between the manual/AF modes, but between the AF and AF Macro modes.
  • There is no AEL/AF button on the XZ-1 which I think will cause a problem with a focus/recompose technique. I tend to do that a lot for snapshots and family pics.
  • The XZ-1 handled very well, but I like the handgrip better on the LX5. Because the lens sticks out anyway, I don't think it detracts from the compactness of it and it feels better in my hands and I feel more secure holding it.

Anyway, YMMV, but I thought it worth stating my reasoning.

Last edited by GregK8; 07-08-2011 at 06:20 PM.