Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Panasonic GF3, Leica 25mm f/1.4 released!

Details:

Last edited by Parallax; 06-30-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Link to personal comercial sits removed
06-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks quite good as a compact backup, but ISO performance appears woeful. I will await fuller testing.
06-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #3

How long will Panasonic continue with their 12 megapixels sensor? It's the same as the one in the G1.
06-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WyldRage Quote
How long will Panasonic continue with their 12 megapixels sensor? It's the same as the one in the G1.
And essentially the same as in every 4/3 DSLR - IE painfully outdated!

Still when you think about the target market for the GF3 it's probably about right.

06-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WyldRage Quote
GF3 is intended for dumb P&S upgraders, for them that sensor is more than enough...
06-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alan Clogwyn Quote
And essentially the same as in every 4/3 DSLR
Panasonic has several different "current" sensors

12mp - several of them including the one in GF2 , 14mp oversized of GH1, 16mp of G3, 18mp oversized of GH2...

the only "essentially the same" features of them is that they all made by Panasonic and they all still lag behind Sony sensors in DR/noise for still images...
06-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Panasonic has several different "current" sensors

12mp - several of them including the one in GF2 , 14mp oversized of GH1, 16mp of G3, 18mp oversized of GH2...

the only "essentially the same" features of them is that they all made by Panasonic and they all still lag behind Sony sensors in DR/noise for still images...
The essentially the same is they all have near identical noise and DR peformance, which could be rated "Could do better".

06-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The essentially the same is they all have near identical noise and DR peformance, which could be rated "Could do better".
No they don't.

The new GH2 and G3 sensors are noticeably improves over the 12mp version.
06-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The essentially the same is they all have near identical noise and DR peformance
actually they don't - just go to DxOMark and compare graphs... there are noticeable differences between several Panasonic sensors
06-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

GF3 is intended for dumb P&S upgraders, for them that sensor is more than enough...
Why are they dumb? My father for example has two law degrees a JD and an LLM had a very prestigious career and has now retired with 7+ figure bank account. He spent the last few years of his working life doing free legal work for a number of churches even though he was a firm believer in evolution and never attended a church. He uses a point and shoot. Are you accusing him of being dumb?

I think you are just immature.
06-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #11

I agree with stanleyk. I know of people who have won competitions with pinhole cameras, so a tool, no matter what it is, is just a tool in the hands of the photographer. I've seen great pictures by many P&S owners, some who are professional shooters.
06-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter

deejjjaaaa, are you selling off those nice lenses to buy this one?
06-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Are you accusing him of being dumb?
I agree with what Deeejjjaaaa said, although the wording was probably off.

I think what he means is that the GF3 is probably aimed at a market that would be considered easy 'up-sellers'. Not dumb, but not enthusiasts and probably not people who live in forums and know the technical ins and outs of every camera on the market. The kind of people to whom a saleperson can say: "Why yes, the LX5 is nice, but the GFS has the same quality as a dSLR!"

That's not to say that it won't be quite capable in the hands of a good photographer, but that's clearly not who Panasonic is aiming it at.
06-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #14
Forum Member

actually they don't - just go to DxOMark and compare graphs... there are noticeable differences between several Panasonic sensors
I did which is why my only digital camera is a GH1 and has been for some time, since I got fed up with the performance of my E520.

(actually I din't use that alone it was a combination of test shot scruitinising and review hunting, as the DXOmark ISO tests don't reflect my real world results, the DYnamic range ones which I find more important seems spot on though)
06-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
deejjjaaaa, are you selling off those nice lenses to buy this one?
I am selling my K mount lenses because I am not that interested in Pentax anymore (at least for now...) - even when I totally agree that Sony sensors are much better than Panasonic sensors for stills (DR/noise-wise, even my old Kx is better than my GH2)... however I just do not feel any urge to use my Pentax gear, that's it... my K-mount lenses are (were, as I sold almost all of them) collecting dust so to say... plus I come to conclusion that 2 primes is all what I need personally... something like normal (4x-5x mm FOV) and something like short portraiture (8x-10x mm FOV) is all what I need... so I got GH2, P20/1.7 and PL45/2.8 to play for now... yes, I wish to get something w/ new Sony APS-C sensor, but NEX bodies are not for me and Sony does not have (so far) primes that I want... so I plan to sell off Pentax gear now and wait until Pentax will come up w/ something that make me interested again (not K5)...

That simple...