Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Sorry, it's already gone.

I wouldn't go as far to say that it's "backward, unfriendly", but be aware of some quirks if you buy one:
- the sensor is quite noisy - at ISO above 1000 requires post processing, ISO above 2000 is not really usable IMHO
- exposure metering can be problematic - found myself using exp compensation more often than on other cameras
- focusing can be a real issue in low light - coupled with noisy sensor the camera can be challenging in those conditions
- the battery drains relatively quickly, and the camera is prone to crashing and corrupted my memory card once - had to switch to a different card (and a new battery) to continue the shoot - luckily I was able to recover most of the contents but lost a few frames
- because the camera has only one dial, exp compensation and ISO adjustment can be fiddly

None of the above are show stoppers, but irritated me enough. Especially given the price of the body.
I agree, a $8,000 camera shouldn't do that...though I don't find my M2 hard to use in low light...in fact I prefer it to an SLR. Maybe the M9's finder isn't as good? That'd be horrible!

10-14-2011, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

It's quite simple:

dSLR = old-fashioned camera
RF = old person's camera
MF = rich person's camera
EVIL/CSC/Mirrorless = modern camera
iPhone = Facebook camera

10-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
...though I don't find my M2 hard to use in low light...in fact I prefer it to an SLR
Depends on the condition. Low light low contrast objects - difficult for any camera, any viewfinder.

But for me, as I mentioned, I had some health issues a few years ago with the result that I have permanently damaged my eyesight, and my right eye in particular is not able to focus at certain focus distances. I still have no problems using the Katz Eye on my K-5, or older Pentax film cameras with split prism (eg. Program A).

But the Leica M9 is unusable unless I wear glasses, and even then it is challenging (gives me a headache after an hour).

My new NEX-5N is a joy to use. Because I don't have to use a viewfinder, I can simply position my (left) eye at the right distance away from the LCD until my eye can focus on it, then I use focus peaking and MF assist.
10-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I agree, a $8,000 camera shouldn't do that...though I don't find my M2 hard to use in low light...in fact I prefer it to an SLR. Maybe the M9's finder isn't as good? That'd be horrible!
the M9’s viewfinder is absolutely not as good as an M2’s, much less an M3’s. but the diehard leica users don’t seem to complain. it has an 0.62x magnification viewfinder. they may not be digital, but ill take the 0.91x of my M3 and the 1.0x of my Bessa over this any day. that 24x36 sensor may be nice to have, but both the m8 an m9 are a bit of a joke for that price. leica could have done better, and should have for way they charge.

10-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Exclusive: Leica Interview – October 2011 - MegaPixel
QuoteQuote:
[...] a Leica with an interchangeable lens should have at least an APS-sized sensor [...] Over time, as technology is improving, optical finders will get less and less important. The X100 finder is a very nice concept and well executed [...] Offering additional functions such as video and live view would extend the usability of the M camera significantly. CMOS is a prerequisite for it, therefore it will be the technology of the future [...] a higher sensitivity of the sensor is an issue and we put a significant amount of effort in improving this [...] we are totally aware that we could aim at a much larger clientele with AF and are currently studying solutions [...]
10-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
he M9’s viewfinder is absolutely not as good as an M2’s, much less an M3’s. but the diehard leica users don’t seem to complain. it has an 0.62x magnification viewfinder. they may not be digital, but ill take the 0.91x of my M3 and the 1.0x of my Bessa over this any day. that 24x36 sensor may be nice to have, but both the m8 an m9 are a bit of a joke for that price. leica could have done better, and should have for way they charge.
I agree, The M8.2 and M9 simply do not have high enough magnification especially for users of superspeed f/1.0~f/0.95 lenses - the RF patches are too small to focus accurately, and nailing the focus at f/0.95 can be hard.

With the classic noctilux 50mm f/1.0 the M3 is a hard act to beat.
10-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I wonder if Leica is just waiting for its film users to die out and forget about the M altogether, so when they replace the mechanical RF with the electronic finder nobody will complain.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the M9’s viewfinder is absolutely not as good as an M2’s, much less an M3’s. but the diehard leica users don’t seem to complain. it has an 0.62x magnification viewfinder. they may not be digital, but ill take the 0.91x of my M3 and the 1.0x of my Bessa over this any day. that 24x36 sensor may be nice to have, but both the m8 an m9 are a bit of a joke for that price. leica could have done better, and should have for way they charge.
That's all kinds of inexcusable. I wonder how the M9 and MP finders compare.

10-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The M9 finder isn't as bad as all that. Leica realizes that most M users now wear glasses and use wider-angle lenses, so reduced the image in the finder. That makes it much easier for us old eyeglass wearers to easily see the 35mm frame. In fact, I even prefer its smaller 50mm frame to my M3, as I can see more outside the frame when composing action shots.
The strength of the M9 is that is it still the ONLY digital that lets me work exactly like with my film cameras, and uses all my lenses with the same perspective. High ISO? If I wasn't using my M9 I'd be using a film camera with maybe 400; and that's a jump from when "high speed" was 125.
I bought my K-5 in spite of all the fancy features. I'd rather have a digital LX.
I'm sure Leica will go with newer, faster sensors for future models. I don't care - I expect to keep using my M9 until it breaks and can't be repaired. I might add a new model if it uses my Leica R (reflex) lenses; but not if it's too fancy.