Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wanted a Nikon...

...D3x to compare with the 645D that's coming in tomorrow. But it turns out that all the Canikon FF bodies are in very short supply at B&H, and they seem to be out of stock everywhere else online too! Does anyone know if these cameras can be rented out anywhere else online?

It seems that as far as pro cameras go, there aren't many options out there that are readily available right now from Canon or Nikon because of the crisis in Japan!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LensRentals.com - Rent a Nikon D3
07-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
$500 for a week- now that's a bit on the steep side!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

AFAIK Adam the Nikon plant hasn't reopened yet, it was destroyed (wiping out the FF DSLR production and the F6 film body as well. That's supposedly why the D800 was delayed until the fall
I though Canon only had issues with a lens plant?
But the bodies may be in short supply due to the lack of Nikon FF
There's always the M9

07-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Apparently Nikon is looking at moving production to Malaysia (as of July 4th article) so it may be a while - which explains the ridiculous used prices on the D700 (which is a glued dual apsc sensor to achieve FF BTW, not the same as the D3 sensors)

Canon has already moved production

After quake, Japanese companies look abroad but not to China's mainland - China.org.cn
07-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Well, thanks for the info! I think that having a D3x to compare to the 645d (we'll be writing an in-depth review just like our k5 vs 7d one) would make for a very interesting read, but I can also see plenty of better uses for $500 on the site! Would there be enough interest for such a comparison?

Adam

07-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Isn't there someone with a D3x you can borrow for a few days?

07-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Unfortunately not- I'm not a Nikon guy It's on it's way, though, and B&H was kind enough to send me a 35mm F1.4 lens for it.

I think that this will make for a very nice review. After all the 645D costs less than $2k more, and I bet the IQ will sit the Nikon down for studio applications.

Adam

07-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
$500 for a week- now that's a bit on the steep side!
Actually compared to what it costs locally in Toronto it seems pretty good - actually given it's the older model not so hot

Both the D3s and D3x are available at the local rentals here (along with the Canons as well)

DSLR Cameras - Pro Rentals at Vistek - Digital Equipment, SLRs Video Cameras - Vistek Toronto Calgary Canada

and the competing guys (day and week)

NIKON D3X D-SLR CAMERA BODY $350.00 $1,050.00 Yes
NIKON D3S D-SLR BODY $225.00 $675.00 Yes

Canon (day/week)

CANON EOS 1DS MARK III D-SLR BODY $350.00 $1,050.00 Yes
CANON EOS 1D MK IV DSLR BODY $225.00 $675.00

I'm guessing the rentals are looking at the investment and how long it will take to recoup and make a profit before they sell the bodies on
07-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It will make for a very interesting comparison. For Studio and Landscape work I think the 645D should win hands down, for low light, high speed though the Nikon should win
07-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Rentals are definitely a great way to make money- lens rentals say they keep the gear for 2 years, and even if they only have it on loan for a fraction of that time, they'll cover the purchase price many times over.

In any case, we're definitely looking forward to conducting this comparison!!

Adam