Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One week with a D300

I've mentioned in a few other threads that it looks like I'm slowly making the switch to Nikon. Since I was a teenager in the 70's I've lusted for Nikon. I went with Pentax when I got back into DSLR's because I found a steal on a *istDL and it would get me back into 'serious' photography. I've been up and down the food chain, K10D, K20D and finally a K-x with a couple of Limiteds (FA-31, DA-15) and the standard low end kit (16-45,55-300). I loved the system but I also felt it had limitations. AF wasn't as good, flash system was better on Nikon and the selection of lenses for pentax seems to be getting smaller, not larger as Sigma and Tamron seem to show less support for K-mount. And even though the Ricoh buyout will probably be a good thing, I still had my doubts.

So when I mentioned this to a Nikon friend. He offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on a D300 body. Mint condition with 3 batteries and < 10k clicks for 750 bucks. At that point I decided to make the switch. I picked up a 18-105 off of craigslist (The seller also has a K10D, K-7 and D7000), a used 70-300 from B&H and a SB-600 Usedcameras.com. This gives me a basic kit to get moving, all for less than a K-5 and 18-135. I'm going to pick up a 35 1.8 and a 10-24 in the near future to fill it out on the wide and fast ends.

I've had it for about a week and overall I'm happy with my decision. Although the D300 is a BEAST compared to the K-x, I'm getting used to it and for the most part I like the controls and layout. It's easier to get used to than I expected.

A few notes, and I realize that the K-5 may be much closer than the K-x and K20D features I'm used to:

D300 Advantages.
  1. Much better metering compared to the Pentax bodies. It gets it right much more often. I finally got a correctly metered shot of a woodpecker in my yard. The Pentaxes ALWAYS overexposed..
  2. Faster and more accurate autofocus, The 21 pt system is remarkably smart compared to the pentax systems.
  3. Love the SDM lenses, why can't Pentax make entry level lenses like this? Silent and fast. I can't even hear the focus.
  4. Viewfinder, I can see the information on a sunny day, impossible with the K-x.
  5. Better flash performance and ease of flash setup.
  6. VR, although it's not in the body, I do like being able to see it work in the VF.
Pentax Advantages:
  1. Light Weight, the D300 is even bigger than my K20D IIRC, and the lenses are heavy.
  2. Better high ISO performance, not by much but noticeable.
  3. Lens Compatability with older lenses.
  4. Better review system on playback, you can't zoom in/out with the wheels on the Nikon. Probably the biggest habit to break right now.

I love the pentax prime selection but at their prices I had a lot of money tied up in one or two lenses. I can get decent primes for the Nikon for < 200 bucks. I'd rather have a lens good enough for my skills and enough money to buy others than spend 6-900 bucks for a single prime. Of course Nikon has the expensive lenses but they have some great entry level primes.

But in the long run the performance is what matters. And I think that I"m getting better exposed and consistently sharper photos from the D300. That's what matters most. I've loved my pentax stuff and I may end up keeping the K-x as my backup and backpacking/biking camera but I'm really liking the Nikon.

The other big advantage to pentax is these forums which blow the nikon forums out of the water in interest and good advice. I'll definitely be sticking around anyway if you guys will let me...

07-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ever tried the K5?

Looks like you finally got yourself the system you've always wanted ... good!

Have fun and keep clicking!

Cheers.

JP
07-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The D300 can shoot Ai/Ai-s MF lenses, fwiw.
07-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The D300 can shoot Ai/Ai-s MF lenses, fwiw.
I now just need to learn to identify them at the pawn shop...

07-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I now just need to learn to identify them at the pawn shop...
The most important thing to look for is the "notch" on the aperture ring, as seen here: http://www.nikonlinks.com/images/BillBriggs/lens_ai_ears.JPG (just above the 11)

Pre-Ai lenses don't have this notch and won't meter properly with Nikon dSLRs. They also might damage your mount.

More info here: NikonLinks - Nikon Lens Nomenclature

And there's a great thread on manual focus Nikkor lenses here: Manual Focus Nikon Glass - FM Forums
07-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. That's why I like this place. Even if I sell my K-x I'll keep the I-10 just so I can post over here...
07-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey, no problem.

(Note that when I say "notch" in reference to the photo I linked above I don't mean the aluminum "bunny ears" but rather the raised black ridge.)

07-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I I went with Pentax when I got back into DSLR's because I found a steal on a *istDL and it would get me back into 'serious' photography. I've been up and down the food chain, K10D, K20D and finally a K-x
mee too exactly ...
07-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you have the 70-300 VR its amazingly sharp from wide open up to 250mm

the 18-105 has incredible IQ for it's price as does the 35
07-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have more or less gone the other way from a D200 to a K-r, however the D200 was never mine. There is a noticiable difference in size between the D200/D300 and the K10D/K20D as I bought my wife a K20D six months after I started using the D200 which replaced a D1X which is even larger.

Interesting to note about the exposures being correct more often as I found the D200 to overexpose more than the K10D so perhaps it is more individaul models than a blanket statement. You certainly have access to a wider variety of lenses and flashes with the Nikon system and all the old Nikon ones should work with the D300 but they would not have VR like the Pentax ones would . I did find with the D200 that the 10.5mm lens would trap the mirror and I would have to dismount the lens for it to go down.

Sounds like a thoughtful decision process you went through. If the weight ever gets to much just think that the D300 is smaller and lighter than the D2X which is smaller and lighter than the D3 which I am not sure is smaller and lighter than the D3X.
07-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

FWIW, I also found my D300 to habitually overexpose, while my D700 is usually dead on.
07-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
One more thing that I noticed immediately is that the Nikon does much better with reds and purples than my Pentaxes. Reds were often blown out enough to be hard to correct at any exposure where the Nikon seems to render the reds much better. But the Pentax seems to be better with greens.
07-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot both a K10D and a D200.

I find the D200 nails exposure, while the K10D often under exposes.

FWIW if you find your D200 over exposing, you can dial the exposure meter "back" or "forward" to a base points that suits your style. See menu item B6.
07-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Pentax Advantages:

Better high ISO performance, not by much but noticeable.
Interesting. I'm finding my D300s is a bit better at ISO3200 than my K-7 was.
07-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Interesting. I'm finding my D300s is a bit better at ISO3200 than my K-7 was.
I would expect that but I have a K-x which is considered better than the K-7 and D300 at High ISO.