Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 176
Can't believe I just did it! (D700)

I finally pulled the trigger and bought a reburb D700.

I love my k5, but I've been doing paid weddings and I want to go to the next level. It's going to be sad saying goodbye to all of my pentax gear, they've served me well. I'm not dissatisfied with Pentax, but I want to go FF, and the whole Ricoh thing makes me nervous.

I have one more wedding Sept. 2nd, then to the marketplace my lenses go =(

Having mixed emotions, excited and a little sad. Gonna miss the size and weight of Pentax but oh well.

08-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian
Zav's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,371
The D700 is an awesome camera! Too bulky to my taste but awesome! Have some very good fun it!
08-06-2011, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,107
Impulsive much? You may want to see just exactly what kind of difference that D700 gets you before selling off your entire system.

Jason
08-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 176
Original Poster
a little impulsive

I've been considering this for quite some time, I just did it a little sooner than I was planning to. I'm sure their both pretty close, I'd give the k5 the edge with DR, and iso 80. But what I want is better AF, and the DOF that can only come with FF. I have money saved and I think the timing is right for me.

08-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Pentikonian's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 780
The D700 and good Nikkor glass is an awesome combination. I think you'll like the results.

I would recommend holding off on selling your Pentax gear for now, if you can afford to do so.

The D700 and good glass is bulky and heavy compared to Pentax.

I'm in the process of selling my Nikon DX gear. I recently purchased a K-5 and DA Limiteds. I still have my D700, a few pieces of good modern glass, and some Ai-S lenses. Don't plan on getting rid of the camera or newer glass.

I finally realized I couldn't get a small form-factor DSLR and small form-factor high-quality primes with Nikon - hence selling the DX stuff and moving to Pentax for APS-C.

Having a small, high-quality camera and lenses (with a smaller & lighter tripod) for travel is a very nice option vs carrying around the D700/ 14-24/ 50/ 70-200VRII/ heavy tripod setup.

Just a thought...
08-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,107
QuoteOriginally posted by alfdog Quote
I've been considering this for quite some time, I just did it a little sooner than I was planning to. I'm sure their both pretty close, I'd give the k5 the edge with DR, and iso 80. But what I want is better AF, and the DOF that can only come with FF. I have money saved and I think the timing is right for me.
The impulsive part was about selling off your Pentax system after only a few days with your new body and lens. I would suggest living with both systems for a while or until you are dead sure you can live without one of them.

Jason
08-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Clicker's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,241
A friend of mine sold his Hassy system for a D700 and a couple lenses when he moved to digital weddings, last time i spoke to him he's still amazed at the images he gets.

Congrats

08-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
K-9
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,971
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
The D700 is an awesome camera! Too bulky to my taste but awesome! Have some very good fun it!
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
The D700 and good glass is bulky and heavy compared to Pentax.
All Pentax DSLR bodies are too small to me, and I have small hands. The D700 seems on the small side to me as well. I feel like I could lose it when I just have my tiny 50mm f 1.8D attached! Light as a feather. Still, I don't care for the D3x and built in grip models. I hope the D800 is bulkier than the D700 and hopefully it stays the same and does not add a built in grip.

What you see through the viewfinder is reason alone to upgrade to FF. It's like opening a tunnel much wider.
08-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Pentikonian's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 780
alfdog - do you have any glass for the D700 yet?


QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
All Pentax DSLR bodies are too small to me, and I have small hands. The D700 seems on the small side to me as well. I feel like I could lose it when I just have my tiny 50mm f 1.8D attached! Light as a feather. Still, I don't care for the D3x and built in grip models. I hope the D800 is bulkier than the D700 and hopefully it stays the same and does not add a built in grip.

What you see through the viewfinder is reason alone to upgrade to FF. It's like opening a tunnel much wider.
I agree with this. The only thing I really dislike about the APS-C cameras are the too-small viewfinders.

As for the rest of the above, everyone is different. How a camera feels is entirely subjective. That's one of the great things about having such a wide selection of cameras - most people can find something they are happy with.

I also like the feel of the D700, but when I am traveling and photography is an "if I have time" activity, it sure is nice to go with a much smaller & lighter, but still very capable, kit. The K-5, for me, is small enough that when using it for longer lengths of time I will use the grip (less strain on the hands - arthritis setting in ) for comfort. For shorter lengths of use, it's fine by itself and makes a nice small package.
08-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 176
Original Poster
I plan on getting the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 VR II for sure. Then 50 1.4g, 85 1.4g, and 14-24... the last three I'm not sure what order I'm going to get. I know the wide zoom is the great, but I don't shoot wide that often.

Size wise when I'm out with friends I don't think the D700 with the 50mm prime will be that much bigger than my K5 with a prime (as far as being intimidating)

I know the 70-200 is a beast, but I've shot for extended periods with the 60-250 + grip just fine. I'm sure it'll be a similar experience except for the focal length.
08-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Pentikonian's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 780
QuoteOriginally posted by alfdog Quote
I plan on getting the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 VR II for sure. Then 50 1.4g, 85 1.4g, and 14-24... the last three I'm not sure what order I'm going to get. I know the wide zoom is the great, but I don't shoot wide that often.

Size wise when I'm out with friends I don't think the D700 with the 50mm prime will be that much bigger than my K5 with a prime (as far as being intimidating)

I know the 70-200 is a beast, but I've shot for extended periods with the 60-250 + grip just fine. I'm sure it'll be a similar experience except for the focal length.
I have the 14-24, 50 f/1.4, and 70-200 VRII. Good glass. Pricey and heavy (except the 50). But good glass.

The 14-24 allows some perspectives not available with other lenses. But it doesn't take filters (except for a fairly expensive Lee setup) and has that bulbous and slightly exposed front lens element. Another ultra-wide option is the 16-35 f/4 - gives you VR, the ability to use normal filters, and is slightly smaller and lighter if any of that is important to you and you don't need to go to 14mm.

The 70-200 VRII takes the new 1.4 and 1.7 teleconverters quite well if you need to go there. Haven't used the new 2.0 yet.

I think you'll be happy. That camera and glass combo can produce some stunning imagery. I'm not planning on letting mine go anytime soon.

Enjoy!
08-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 176
Original Poster
14-24

I've held the 14-24, the thing is a beast, that front element is like a softball. I have a DA 12-24, and the only time I really use it is when I make a dedicated effort/trip to do landscape photography.
08-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,450
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Impulsive much? You may want to see just exactly what kind of difference that D700 gets you before selling off your entire system.

Jason
I don't think he'll be disappointed in the slightest.
08-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Forum Member
kanzlr's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vienna
Posts: 92
The D700 is an amazing camera. When I sold my D200 and got a D700 with FX glass, it blew me away. I now got a K-5 and found that the ergonomics on the K-5 are a bit better, the viewfinder is a bit smaller. Other than that, the differences, except for the obvious difference of FoV are not that big.

Still, the D700 will give you approx 1 stop better noise performance, superb AF and a smaller DoF with say a 24-70/2.8, of course than a 17-50/2.8 at the same FoV, but you know that already

for weddings Nikon makes sense, if for CLS alone.
08-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 176
Original Poster
I do prefer the K5s ergonomics also.

Is the 12mp of the D700 that much of a hindrance compared to the 16mp of the K5?

How do you guys feel about shooting with ISOs higher than 6400 with the D700?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D700 dylansalt Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Other Camera Brands 38 01-16-2024 01:13 AM
Can the K-5 dethrone the D700 ? pcarfan Pentax News and Rumors 114 12-01-2011 07:53 PM
A ? for D700 owners.... Rupert Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Other Camera Brands 3 01-07-2011 09:32 AM
D700 winning me over... JohnBee Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Other Camera Brands 25 04-20-2010 08:54 AM
Some D700 thoughts and examples jsherman999 Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Other Camera Brands 103 04-17-2010 07:36 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top