20ms startup time
Built-in flash
New universal hot shoe
Battery life for over 400 shots
Magnesium alloy body
Front and rear dials
Level Gauge and gridlines
HDR, Panorama, Picture effects

It's the magic combination of viewfinder, twin dials and Sony's remarkable new manual focusing system that does it for me. Forget Sony's poor selection of E-mount lenses and just get the M-mount adapter and a pocket-full of primes...

08-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Will be interesting to see samples and field reports from this camera, for sure.

Jason
08-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
Banned

NEX-7
24,3 Exmor HD sensor
100-16.000 ISO
1200 zone metering
1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 (28Mbit/s) video recording
3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder (Active Matrix-OLED with RGB pattern from Samsung)
3inch 921k TruBlack LCD display (touchscreen)
10 fps
20ms startup time
Built-in flash
New universal hot shoe
Battery life for over 400 shots
Magnesium alloy body
Level Gauge and gridline
HDR, Panorama, Picture effexts
NEX-7 feel surprisingly light (at the same time solid).
Body only will be priced between $1000 and $1100.
The NEX-7 will be available in Europe and US around the 7th-10th of November.
Sony A77
Body only will be priced at $1000
Body + 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM Kit will be priced between $1600 and $1800.

NEX-7
Body only will be priced between $1000 and $1100.

NEX lenses
Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 will be priced between $900 and $1000.
Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 will be priced between $300 and $350.
Sony 55-210mm OSS Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 will be priced between $250 and $300.

sonyalpharumors | Home

08-21-2011, 05:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say there is a poor selection of E mount lenses right now. There are more and more being released by Sony and third party manufactures every few months. Keep in mind, this E mount system has only been on the market a little over a year. I think by 2012, you will see the current choices doubled. Meanwhile, what is happening on the M4/3 front?

Jason

08-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Forget Sony's poor selection of E-mount lenses and just get the M-mount adapter and a pocket-full of primes...
Virtually 90% of every lens ever made can now fit the NEX cameras via the plethora of adapters available.

However you don't even need the NEX 7 to use the (potentially) fantastic new MF focus system (if it works as advertised) ! As via firmware the much cheaper but very impressive Nex 3, 5 and Nex C3 can all use this feature - perfect for all your PK & M42 lenses !

Peaking
One of the most interesting new features on the C3 is the addition of "Peaking" when a manual focus lens on an adaptor is mounted. The peaking controls are found on the Setup menu, and include the choice of edge colour (Red, White and Yellow), and level of sensitivity, (Off / Low / Medium and High). Peaking, if you're unfamiliar with it from the video world, shows a shimmering outline on the parts of the image that are in sharpest focus.

Also, as an aid to focusing with non-AF lenses, when a lens adaptor is attached the bottom soft key automatically changes to MF Assist, and screen magnifications to assist focusing of 7.5X and 15X are available. This combined with Peaking provides the best focus assist capability that I've yet seen on a new generation camera.
08-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The peaking feature sounds way cool. The new sensor should be an improvement over any APS-C in sensitivity, so probably improved DR too. Sony continues to push the envelope in sensor design, and everyone has to follow. Good stuff!

My beef with Sony cameras in the past has been horrible GUI interfaces. Pentax has superb photography-oriented controls, Sony more like a digital TV set.
08-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

And don't forget the rumored LA-EA2 adapter which allows phase detection AF with old A-series lens.

08-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
My beef with Sony cameras in the past has been horrible GUI interfaces. Pentax has superb photography-oriented controls, Sony more like a digital TV set.
Sony seems a bit schizophrenic with their control interface - the top-end models (A700/A850/A900) are excellent, 'no bull' photographers tools - the K-5 and A900 have the best ergonomics I've ever used.

But then you get to their entry level stuff/NEX and it's a flat out disaster...

In regard to focus 'peaking' - definitely a cool feature, but I can guarantee that it'll feature on every mirrorless camera released from now on.
08-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #9

Wow that NEX 7 is really nice. The double Edials and more buttons added means less menu diving (better UI?). The universal flash mount is much welcome. Although, I hope it has full manual video. I'm waiting on the arrival of my NEX 3 and ebay m42/eos adapters which has many complaint on its UI, but with new firmware I can customize couple of buttons. Looks like Sony made much needed improvements with the NEX7.
08-22-2011, 03:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

According to Sonyalpharumors, the NEX-7 along with the A77 will feature full manual controls while shooting video. We shall see.

sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR5) The video revolution is coming: A77/NEX-7/VG20 with FullHD 60p and full manual controls!

Jason
08-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Today I went hands on with all of the EVILs ; Samsung, Ricoh, Olympus, Panasonic and of course Sony's NEX C3 (did I miss any ?). Ergonomically they all felt better than the Sony TBH - but spec-wise they lag behind. I asked for and received a PK to E adapter ($30 if I want to buy it - I've seen them at half that though) and put on the Zeiss 85/1.4 ... I have to say that peaking is extremely fast, much faster than for the vast majority of us when MFing, though not as fast as using CIF on a Pentax DSLR.

However I hated the almost total lack of controls on the camera itself, and having to dive into the menu to do anything. You are actually holding a lens and not a camera that is virtually just balancing the lens on the rear. I also found myself firing off bursts when I only wanted single shots.

The shutter is a little noisy but it didn't seem as bad in real life as the YouTube videos I've seen.

Overall I'm torn. I think for a lot of people a Kr for roughly the same price (a little more) would be a better option. However I can see a use and a market for this camera, no question. Adapter - slip on my Leica, Adapter - slip on my Zeiss, Adapter - slip on my Pentax, Adapter - slip on my Canon, or 4/3rds, or Hasselblad or whatever ..... quite incredible actually. You can know choose any lens you want and slip it on the C3.

I'll take a look at the shots and video I took with the C3 tomorrow ! Would I pay for the NEX 7 ( no way - the form factor and UI lose it for me, never mind being the same prive as a K5), would I pay for the much much cheaper C3 - yes I might ......... as an alternative system for all that fine glass out there
08-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What did you think of the Ricoh, Frogfish? I'm pretty excited about Ricoh/Pentax, I'm betting they'll give us a mirrorless K-mount.
08-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

To be fair, the NEX-c3 and the NEX-7 are apples and oranges when it comes to form factor as well as specs (and most probably UI). I say wait until the 7 hits the shelves in October and try again. (Also, comparing to K-5 is also like apples and pine cones...no similarity at all)

Jason
08-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What did you think of the Ricoh, Frogfish? I'm pretty excited about Ricoh/Pentax, I'm betting they'll give us a mirrorless K-mount.
I'm sure they will - they must to be able to compete with the other EVILs. It felt good in the hand but TBH I didn't spend too much time with it as I knew the specs didn't meet my criteria.
08-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
To be fair, the NEX-c3 and the NEX-7 are apples and oranges when it comes to form factor as well as specs (and most probably UI). I say wait until the 7 hits the shelves in October and try again. (Also, comparing to K-5 is also like apples and pine cones...no similarity at all)

Jason
True - but I can't imagine paying the price of a K5 for an EVIL. And there is not much difference in the form factor. If I had to pay that much then I'd rather buy another K5 .... or a used D700.