Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

NEX-5N vs EP-3

Wow......

NEX-5N demolishes EP-3 at high ISOs (even beats 5D Mk II, Nikon D7000) | EOSHD.com

08-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Looks like a bloody good sensor, although a fairly predictable result (given the performance of the other 16mp Sony sensors and the past 12mp Oly/Pana sensors).

I don't get this comment though... High-iso performance of the Pens has always been the weakness, and yet people still buy and love them. I think the 'Olympus flagship' is going to be just fine...

Olympus’s flagship is in trouble. Reports show that at ISO 12,800 the NEX 5N thrashes the EP-3 and moves ahead of even the 5D Mk II, Nikon D7000 and Panasonic GH2 for low light image quality.
08-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing!

For almost a year now, I have been contemplating on "what to buy" in terms of compact, yet customizable hybrid camera that I can carry with me just about anywhere, but the lack of fast 40-50mm primes deterred me from buying anything up to this point... Additionally, good high ISO performance is important to me equally - this 5N "may" actually be the answer, considering new fast 50mm to be out soon as well...

Regards,
D
08-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

But it's a pity that there is no hot shoe and no wireless flash capabilities in NEX-5N.
Apart from available lighting photography, I need to have decent flash capabilities as well.

Actually, even the E-PM1 has wireless flash control with its bundled flash. So I can get flash photo with E-PM1 that looks miles better than that of the NEX-5N.

08-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #5

The Sony NEX line need some pancakes like a Pentax 40mm to be more pocket friendly. I was looking to get an older Pentax 40mm pancakes but the K-NEX adapter thickness makes it not worthwhile.

nosnoop you might want to look at the NEX 7 if you want flash. Or you might want to try to tape (to your NEX flash) an optical trigger to a wireless trigger to fire off your lights remotely.
08-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Can't find the 5d mk II samples on that page.
And it looks like this sony sensor performs like a piece of sh1t at base iso: too much noise. That is the pain with K-5 too.
08-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ltdstar Quote
The Sony NEX line need some pancakes like a Pentax 40mm to be more pocket friendly. I was looking to get an older Pentax 40mm pancakes but the K-NEX adapter thickness makes it not worthwhile.

nosnoop you might want to look at the NEX 7 if you want flash. Or you might want to try to tape (to your NEX flash) an optical trigger to a wireless trigger to fire off your lights remotely.
Wait for NX20. Their pancakes are better than pentax's ones and they promised their newer sensors will be much better. I especially would like to see proper high and uniformly distributed DR, not just the ability to pull the shadows up as on the K-5. At least, the APS-C EXMOR tends to have a weak distribution in highlights and this leads to strong annoying noise in bright areas (the sky suffers from it very much).

08-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Looks like a bloody good sensor, although a fairly predictable result (given the performance of the other 16mp Sony sensors and the past 12mp Oly/Pana sensors).
even 12mp 4 generations old (12mp mkI /Kx/ -> 12mp mkII /Kr/ -> 16mp -> 24mp ) Sony sensor will beat 12mp Panasonic sensor...
08-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Wait for NX20. Their pancakes are better than pentax's ones and they promised their newer sensors will be much better. I especially would like to see proper high and uniformly distributed DR, not just the ability to pull the shadows up as on the K-5. At least, the APS-C EXMOR tends to have a weak distribution in highlights and this leads to strong annoying noise in bright areas (the sky suffers from it very much).

Hysterical

laugh
08-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
That is the pain with K-5 too.
I have to say I haven't experienced this at all when the exposure is correct.