Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon Clinging to Mirrors Means Opportunity for Sony Cameras

Canon Clinging to Mirrors Means Opportunity for Sony Cameras

QuoteQuote:
Canon Inc. and Nikon Corp., the world’s two biggest makers of high-end cameras, may be missing out on the industry’s biggest technology shift since film rolls became obsolete.

The two Tokyo-based companies use mirrors in all cameras with interchangeable lenses, a technique Sony Corp. is shifting away from. As a result, Canon and Nikon’s combined share of the Japanese market has fallen by 35 percent, while Sony’s share has doubled, according to estimates at research firm BCN Inc...

“Mirrorless cameras are a threat ... If the western geographies follow the same pattern as Asia, then it will be negative for Nikon and Canon.”
When will Ricoh be able to devour Canon?

09-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, I give up... how is a mirroless camera better than a camera with a mirror?
09-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Seriously? It *can* be smaller, lighter, faster, maybe cheaper.
Problems: The technology isn't fully-cooked yet. Maybe soon...
09-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

SO, kinda like a cell phone? Only without the phone?

09-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SO, kinda like a cell phone? Only without the phone?
And with a somewhat larger sensor, like APS-C-size instead of spider-eye-size. Who knows, maybe MILC-makers will figure out they need to add cells to their cameras. Maybe ALL cameras will become phones. Gotta go, my K2 is ringing.
09-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And with a somewhat larger sensor, like APS-C-size instead of spider-eye-size. Who knows, maybe MILC-makers will figure out they need to add cells to their cameras. Maybe ALL cameras will become phones. Gotta go, my K2 is ringing.
Is that K2 Full Frame?

Jason
09-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Why does one have to be better than the other? Can't it just be a personal preference? I find it really amusing that the concept of subjetivity rarely enters into these forum discussions. Reading this stuff is a little like watching a bunch of HS boys standing at the urinals glancing over at the person next to them.

Here's a good question who is a better photographer Robert Frank or Richard Avedon? Who is a better painter Breughel or Van Gogh? Who is a better composer Bach or Beethoven or Schubert? Who is a better trumpet player Miles Davis or Dizzy Gillespie?

Same difference. Some people like Lomo cameras. Good for them if it suits their muse.

If you are asking me personally, I have come around to EVF's. My K5 sits idle while the EP2, G3, and X100 are used daily. And yes, I've pre-ordered a NEX 7. But do I think EVF's are better than OVF's? To be honest that question has never crossed my mind. I just use what I like with the complete understanding that other people may prefer something else.

09-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Actually, in asking why one was better, I was asking for an expression of personal preference... of course if someone just wanted to pick a fight at the urinal, they could pretend there was something wrong with that....

and the answer, smaller, lighter faster.... actually answered my question... and if "better IQ" was in there it might have made me ask another question or two... which also would have been asking for an expression of personal preference... just because I enjoy hearing why people prefer what they do.... after all, in my limited view of things... I might have missed something.. maybe even something important...

if someone actually said they liked a Nex for the same reasons I like my cameras... I might be encouraged to investigate further..

However, I'm a bitch for punishment, and quite capable of carrying 40 pounds of SLR gear on an 11 k hike without it ruining my afternoon, I shoot mostly landscapes... so I have a lot of time to set up, not so concerned about speed... and I'm not really interested in smaller, I have my Pentax Optio W90 for that...Mr. Rio's answer was everything I needed... if you want to send your K-d to a good home, I rescue unwanted dogs and cameras... I know how much you're concerned about your k-5 having a good home where it's truly appreciated. I'll even send you pictures of it enjoying it's new life..
09-17-2011, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also mirrorless camera's will become FAR superior for sports and fast action shooting. imagine being able to snap at say 15-30 frames per second with the same sensor quality that Canikon's have and only shoot at 6-11 fps. no mirror to coordinate or mirror slap to worry about, just turn the sensor on and off, that's all!
09-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Also mirrorless camera's will become FAR superior for sports and fast action shooting. imagine being able to snap at say 15-30 frames per second with the same sensor quality that Canikon's have and only shoot at 6-11 fps. no mirror to coordinate or mirror slap to worry about, just turn the sensor on and off, that's all!
I'm too lazy to research this, so I'll just ask: What are current fps limits for APS-C MILC's? (And is that enough acronyms in one sentence?) Other stuff I'm too lazy to research: What about sensor heating? Does flickering the sensor reduce its power cycle enough to keep it cool? Where's a good reference on this stuff? And why is there air?
09-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think it is kind of ironic that the Japanese are flocking to cheap Chinese cameras.
09-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The upcomming Sony Alpha 77 (mirrorless)is going to be 12FPS and at a decent price point (Alpha 55 is 10FPS) Nikon D700 is 8FPS as is the Canon 7D..not sure about max number of shots.. the K-5 is 7 FPS upto something like 26 RAW shots... has been more than enough for time laps being 3+ seconds of quick action, but if they had a processor/buffer than could shoot till the card was full that would be amazing! after say 10 FPS I'm not sure how much you REALLY need.. but the more the merrier! It would just make the keeper rate on fast action shooting higher... but more pics to go through to delete!
09-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I think it is kind of ironic that the Japanese are flocking to cheap Chinese cameras.
Which Chinese company are we talking about?
09-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I read that many of these little babies are churned out by a few mainland China camera foundries. I know that much Sony production is there; I have the lousy DSC-W7 to prove it. (Major failure rate with models from that specific plant.) So the cams have Japanese corporate names and designs wrapped around their Chinese-produced guts. Welcome to the New World Order, where Made In Japan costs too much.
09-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Sony may not be a Chinese company, but sells a lot of Chinese cameras.