Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 779 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

cool hand luke

Sorry for the title, but it sounds better than "cool hand bimjo".

12-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can usually adjust the infinity stop of NEX/m43 adapters by tightening or loosening the screws on the mount, emacs. Just for future reference.
12-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #123

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
It is unfortunate that many smallish SLR lenses double in size on the NEX, but it is what it is. Maybe if the 3rd party vendors get on the stick and bring out native e-mount lenses things will get better.

Have to wait and see I guess, they all have the specs from Sony.
Just yesterday several 3rd party lenses were announced! Although I'm confused by the Tamron 18-200 it seems like a more expensive, lesser version of the native Sony 18-200--a megazoom that never really interested me personally. The 23mm f1.7 from the horribly named "SLR Magic" shows some promise. They are the same company putting out the 50mm f0.95. A highly compromised lens but I have hopes that the 23mm won't suck.
12-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joelR Quote
Just yesterday several 3rd party lenses were announced! Although I'm confused by the Tamron 18-200 it seems like a more expensive, lesser version of the native Sony 18-200--a megazoom that never really interested me personally. The 23mm f1.7 from the horribly named "SLR Magic" shows some promise. They are the same company putting out the 50mm f0.95. A highly compromised lens but I have hopes that the 23mm won't suck.
Looked at from the view of Tamron, the 18-200 makes perfect sense. Tamron has a clue, but still doesn't grasp that enthusiasts love this camera as much or more than those folks upgrading from a P&S camera. {Generalization follows} Upgraders want a one lens solution, changing lenses is outside their comfort zone. The Tammy will probably be less expensive than the Sony too. Honestly, I expected a E mount version of the 10-24 first, as that's a pretty big hole in the NEX lineup, but I guessed wrong. [shrug]

Eventually there will be more/better lenses available for the NEX system. At first we'll get rehashed DSLR lenses, but then will come the purpose designed winners that will really compliment the cameras. I think Sony gets it, they just have to get there. Unfortunately it won't happen overnight.

12-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #125

Perhaps but at the moment the Tamron is listed as being more expensive then the Sony. Which I understand is a pretty decent lens. Now Tamron of course will quickly drop below that initial MSRP but still seems a little odd I think.
12-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is not the best lens on the NEX system but likely the thinnest on a tight budget. It is a Russian made Industar 69 28mm f/2/8 pancake in M39 mount

1/30 sec, f/2.8, 28mm, iso 3200, -1 Ev, hand-held, straight jpg, PP in LR3

1/13 sec, f/2.8, 28mm, iso 3200, -1 Ev, hand-held, straight jpg, PP in LR3

1/25 sec, f/2.8, 28mm, iso 3200, -1/3 Ev, hand-held, straight jpg, no PP

And the combo

More in this flickr set for Industar 69 28mm f/2.8

On the lens, there is a extra ring and I happen to need to take the extra ring out so that I can use my NEX without issue -- I still don't quite know what the extra ring in the rear is used for. It is likely an adapter between M39 to LTM/L39. On the L39 to NEX adapter, I happen to need to re-adjust the three mounting screws in order to align the lens right with focusing scale.

I bought the lens in ebay for a small fee as in $20 plus $15 shipping fee from Ukraine. I will not highly recommend the lens yet as I have to use it more and report back. And there are other users complaining on infinity focus and requirement of modification. I will report more as I find more about the lens.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-12-2011 at 11:16 AM.
12-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #127
JHD
Veteran Member

Hin,

How are liking the NEX now that you've had more time with it?

12-12-2011, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Hin,

How are liking the NEX now that you've had more time with it?
I don't have a blog post to go over what I like the most about the 5N. In general, I really like it but I have reservations in the negatives that you have to do your own research. There are various shortcomings which I hope to provide more details later on. For now, I give you a list of positives and negatives for brain-storming

The goods:
  • Great sensor with good image quality
  • Outstanding implementation for Peek Focusing and Manual Assist -- a great feature for manual focusing -- it is very refreshing to use and close to make up for the absence of a viewfinder.
  • Very good form factor on the thin body (not including lens) that is not too small but yet small enough to be almost pocketable.
  • Ergonomics is a compromise on the small body but I will consider it a step or two better than the M4/3 and mirrorless that I have played with in Samsung and Olympus. The grip is small but very critical to have for my liking of the NEX system.
  • Good high ISO and overall image quality.
  • The AF in E-mount is pleasantly quiet and this silent AF maybe taken for granted but very cool to AF without the annoying AF motor. You have to use it to believe it.
  • Outstanding tilt-able screen and NEX does it right for shooting like a waist level finder. It works well for low and high angle type of shooting as well as from the hip. It helps in street shooting and offer less intrusion to others.
  • Good feature set in "creative style", "picture effect", 'HDR/DRO' etc.
  • Good assortment of adapters to all sorts of SLR and rangefinder type of lens.

The bads
  • It is expensive for what it is. When you compare a good dSLR like K7, K5, Nikon D7000 or the like, the cost in 5N with EVF can add up easily to get close to the cost of some good dSLR. Cost benefit alone isn't there to justify the purchase.
  • Lack of e-mount lenses and 3rd party native e-mount. Recent trend seem to minimize the concerns with Zeiss 24mm f/1.8, E 50mm f/1.8 and those from Tamron, Sigma, SLRMagic, Samyang etc.
  • Expensive EVF for $300+
  • Absence of hot shoe support -- this is the worst support with Sony in 5N and if you are a strobbist looking for external flash support, you will be better served with Nex 7.
  • Minor annoyance with the Sony long list of menu items -- it takes a photographic memory to remember where things live in the settings. It get better with usage and the soft buttons programmable shortcut do help tremendously
  • AF in dimmer lighting is slower but still acceptable in my use. I wish it faster.
  • Build is reasonable but it does not convey the notion of long lasting durability. The battery and SD card is easy to access and operate but the door lock switch looks not durable. The flash light, micro phone accessory shoe is difficult to mount the provided flash -- I have to use my pinky to screw the flash tight. The trick is to access the flash tightening screw from its back panel.

And I probably miss some of the important points, I will update when I think of them. But before I leave this thread, I want to show you what a Crumpler 2 million dollar bag can hold

Crumpler 2 million bag with Pentax Auto 110 24mm f/2.8
  • Sony nex-5n with 18-55 kit zoom mounted
  • Sony E 16mm f/2.8 pancake to sit next to the nex body
  • Pentax Auto 110 24mm and 18mm in the accessory pouch
  • An extra battery and its small provided flash in accessory pouch

And please like this post for my inputs on the goods and bads on my initial experience on NEX 5N.
Cheer,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-13-2011 at 10:06 AM.
12-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #129
JHD
Veteran Member

I don't intend to replace my DSLR with a mirror less camera, but for me the whole VF thing is overrated and not always entirely useful. I had previously bought the original NEX-5 for street photography. It's flip out LCD is second to none; it inspires me with confidence and allows me to be discreet in a way not possible with a VF. I also find it easier to compose and focus in live view. So I'm glad I don't have to pay more for VF/EVF, which seems more like a handicap than a necessity - unless you still shoot film.

One of the reasons I won't part with my DSLR is because I have too much money tied up in lenses. Even though they can be attached to the NEX, I rather use E mounts on the NEX. They focus in absolute silence and weigh comparatively next to nothing. I currently have the 16mm, 1855 and the 55210. IMO they are all more than adequate, especially the 55210. The 30mm macro and fast 50 are next on my list. In addition to the 24mm Zeiss and new that 3rd party options along with Sony's commitment to the NEX platform, lens options are becoming a non issue.

Two years ago I bought a Metz 48 flash for my DSLR, I have yet to mount it on my camera. I took it out the box and looked at, and then put it back in the box. I just haven't had a need for a flash as of yet; so the absence of hot shoe support is the least of my concerns.

Overall I really like the NEX-5 so I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to the 5n. Even though I bought it for shooting discreet street candids, I find myself addicted to the camera. It's become the camera I reach for more often than the DSLR. on The menu system doesn't bother me, I find it to be very intuitive. My only grievance is the position of the "movie" button. There have been a few instances where I've accidently pressed it with my thumb. Sony should move it a little to the left, to the left, to the left.
12-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Wow, my friend brought his NEX 5N into work. He wants to return it, but I think I've fallen in love. I still feel like I am fighting the interface, but the pictures are great and the Panorama mode is great fun. I am returning my K-5 because it is defective, maybe I will consider one of these.
12-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #131
Veteran Member

@JHD, I am with you on the very useful and tilt-able LCD. I use bi-focal glass and there are times that I will miss the viewfinder. The LCD serves well the purpose above and beyond my expectations prior to purchase. With the peeking focus and MF assist, the NEX LCD is a delight to use but my personal bi-focal vision make it difficult in some cases that need critical focusing.

Very strong sunlight in the afternoon. Even with a LCD hood,
I can't nail focus and have to second guess on the bunny's eye
while manual focus on the bunny

Shot with Pentax Auto 110 70mm f/2.8 plus Soligor 1.7x TC

There are various tricks that I have learned from others in making better use of peeking focus feature as in using creative style in B&W and shoot raw as b&w display can easily show the chosen peeking color. Adjustment to sharpness and contrast also play a role in the peeking focus while the Raw output won't be affected.

As for the odd Video button, I see a discussion where people swear by the success of putting a sticky label that teenagers use to put on cell phone buttons. It gives the texture that one will feel when the button is close to your finger. I will try to look up the information for you.

I am totally hooked on my NEX like you. But for reasons of past and current LBA insanity with my Pentax related lenses, I can't foresee myself dumbing the dSLR for the NEX. There are still many things that I miss in dSLR such as the viewfinder -- your mileage is different than mine because of my bi-focal vision. The NEX really stands out more than a competent compliment to a dSLR and it excels in many areas that the dSLR falls short in especially with its quiet focusing, compactness, stealth street shooting, creative style of quick and simple photography etc.

Last edited by hinman; 12-13-2011 at 10:54 AM.
12-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Wow, my friend brought his NEX 5N into work. He wants to return it, but I think I've fallen in love. I still feel like I am fighting the interface, but the pictures are great and the Panorama mode is great fun. I am returning my K-5 because it is defective, maybe I will consider one of these.
What you experienced with the K5 is not normal, that will be my best guess. It is always greener pasture when you look at the other camp. In my opinion the NEX is a great system but I have reservations with opinion that it can replace the role of a K5 unless your intention is for traveling light and compact.

Thanks!
Hin
12-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Mine was too, but the real thing that convinced me to move to NEX from K-5 is the size of great wide angle lenses for SLRs. I didn't regret it: the leica 18 turned to be much better lens than distagon 21 (sharper, very wide DOF, much lighter, much smaller). The distagon 18 for leica mount is just about as good as leica and costs less than distagon 21. It's a well known fact wide angle lenses for rangefinders are superior over SLR ones. So, if you prefer wide angles like me the NEX is better choice. The NEX-5N is not the best handling camera, but I will choose it + leica 18 over K-5 + distagon 18/21 any day: these CZ lenses are too heavy. Combined with K-5 body they weights >2 times and don't feel well balanced. Manual focusing with NEX is much more accurate than K-5, where it was unusable for me.
12-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
What you experienced with the K5 is not normal, that will be my best guess. It is always greener pasture when you look at the other camp. In my opinion the NEX is a great system but I have reservations with opinion that it can replace the role of a K5 unless your intention is for traveling light and compact.

Thanks!
Hin
Oh I agree. I was really disappointed with my K-5. The AF is way off for some reason. I've had a K100D, K-r, K-7 and a K20D and they all perform better than my particular K-5. I thought about an exchange, but figured, I am happy with the K20D and I can just wait until the next body comes out. My friend is going to let me take the NEX 5N home to shoot some pics of my daughter. If it can keep up with her I will be interested. Being so compact my wife will permit me to bring the camera more often. As far as portraits, with adults, I think the quality is there for available light shots. Can the camera work with an off camera flash?
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Mine was too, but the real thing that convinced me to move to NEX from K-5 is the size of great wide angle lenses for SLRs. I didn't regret it: the leica 18 turned to be much better lens than distagon 21 (sharper, very wide DOF, much lighter, much smaller). The distagon 18 for leica mount is just about as good as leica and costs less than distagon 21. It's a well known fact wide angle lenses for rangefinders are superior over SLR ones. So, if you prefer wide angles like me the NEX is better choice. The NEX-5N is not the best handling camera, but I will choose it + leica 18 over K-5 + distagon 18/21 any day: these CZ lenses are too heavy. Combined with K-5 body they weights >2 times and don't feel well balanced. Manual focusing with NEX is much more accurate than K-5, where it was unusable for me.
You have a bigger budget than me, but I'm finding the much maligned e-mount 16mm isn't so bad. I might be able to swing the Voigtlander 12mm though. Heard anything about that lens?