Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 779 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

NEX System Pictures Thread

Some first test snaps with the NEX-5N and various Pentax/Nikon lenses...

(Last one is at ISO 3200)

Overall I like the camera a lot, but I'm pretty unimpressed with the JPEGs w/r/t noise reduction. It's pretty visible even at base ISO. Pretty sure they don't really compare well at all to the JPEGs I can get from my K-5, which uses a similar but older sensor. (That said, it's been ages since I shot JPEGs on the reg with any camera.)

Can't wait for LR3 RAW compatibility.

09-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for those shots. I have been considering the NEX-5N myself. If practical, could you post a shot of the 5N with, say, the FA43 mounted, so I could get an idea of total size of the combo, please?
09-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey, congrats on getting the 5N. I have been thinking about the 5N or 7. Couple of questions -
1. Since you mentioned about the noisy jpegs, what about the raw file? How does that compare to D700's raw file - low and high ISO.
2. Is there any EVF/OVF that you are using with 5N?
3. Can I use the regular ZE mount Zeiss lenses with 5N by use of some adaptor?

thanks,

Abhi
09-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How do you like the interface and controls? I realize it doesn't have as many manual controls like the NEX 7, but I'd like to know if everything's easy to access or if you have to menu dive. I've been more interested in the NEX 5N vs. the 7 because I heard it uses almost the same sensor as the K-5, D7000, and A580.

09-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
Thank you for those shots. I have been considering the NEX-5N myself. If practical, could you post a shot of the 5N with, say, the FA43 mounted, so I could get an idea of total size of the combo, please?
I'll give that a go later this week.

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
hey, congrats on getting the 5N. I have been thinking about the 5N or 7. Couple of questions -
1. Since you mentioned about the noisy jpegs, what about the raw file? How does that compare to D700's raw file - low and high ISO.
2. Is there any EVF/OVF that you are using with 5N?
3. Can I use the regular ZE mount Zeiss lenses with 5N by use of some adaptor?
1. RAWs can only be viewed w/ either the Sony converter (awful) or RawTherapee (not terribly familiar with it and don't have the time to learn at the moment) so I haven't played with them much.
2. There is an EVF but it costs $300+, so no... LCD-only.
3. Yeah, there are adapters available for just about every mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
How do you like the interface and controls? I realize it doesn't have as many manual controls like the NEX 7, but I'd like to know if everything's easy to access or if you have to menu dive. I've been more interested in the NEX 5N vs. the 7 because I heard it uses almost the same sensor as the K-5, D7000, and A580.
It's definitely more menu-divey than a dSLR, but you can reassign some physical controls to customize it to your tastes.
09-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

That woman in picture #1 looks awefully suspicious... you must have been doing some sweet talking between #1 and #3,
09-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Some great shots there! Would you be able to edit the post to show which lenses were used?

09-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pretty sure it was:

Pictures 1-4: 15mm Ltd
Pictures 5-6: 77mm Ltd
Remainder: Nikkor 28/2.8 Ai-s
09-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
Here you go.

09-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And some more JPEGs from the 5N + 43 Ltd (processed slightly in LR), just messing around in the backyard:

09-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you so much for posting that. The picture gives me so much more accurate an impression than looking at measurements.

There is a lot of registration distance to make up!

Thanks for posting the samples too. Clearly the 43 is a wonderful lens no matter what brand camera it gets stuck on!

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Here you go.

09-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it my imagination but the sensor seems to deal with highlights very harshly and suffering from a narrower DR.

The sensor in the K5 and D7000 has far better control imho.

Considering it's supposed to the same sensor but tweaked I find it strange
09-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Is it my imagination but the sensor seems to deal with highlights very harshly and suffering from a narrower DR.

The sensor in the K5 and D7000 has far better control imho.

Considering it's supposed to the same sensor but tweaked I find it strange
What's giving you that impression?
09-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I think the NEX exposes more to the right than the K-5. Which would cause loss of detail in the highlights.

At least the NEX-5 did.

On the other hand, I find the K-5 to be conservative in exposing to the left, often requiring an exposure bump in post processing.

On the third hand, these photos look fine to me.
09-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't really noticed any difference in DR from the K-5.

And remember, these are all post-processed JPEGs. I haven't been working with RAWs yet.