Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Nikon/Sony camera/lens manufacturing affected by flooding in Thailand

Global fallout of Thai floods - The Nation

Related:
UPDATE 1-Thai floods mean big loss to Western Digital exports-minister: Scientific American

I expect Pentax would not be affected, unless they depend on component manufacturers with factories in the affected areas.

10-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Holy shite! Sony is out of the dSLR business! Nikon is 90% out (or is it?) and don't expect any more bargain Western Digital drives at CostCo. Eggs in one basket, yow!

QuoteQuote:
Nikon Corp.’s Thailand plant produces low- to mid-range single-lens reflex cameras, which account for 90 percent of the company’s SLR camera production. Sony Corp. manufactures all of its digital SLR cameras in the industrial area of Ayutthaya.
And "Camera factories submerged. No prospect of recovery."
10-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
On Sony, I thought they were already out of the DSLR business But yes, it's pretty bad. At least, Sony produces a lot of other things, but cameras are Nikon's main market.
10-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just gargled for SONY DSLR THAILAND FLOOD and the first hit was sonyalpharumors | Blog | NEX-7 removed from Amazon due "manufactoring concerns"!

QuoteQuote:
It is still difficult to get some info about the effects on the Sony camera production but the bad news today is a unique message from Amazon US ... They removed the NEX-7 preorder option and said that: “Due to manufacturing concerns, availability of select Sony products are currently constrained. Some products may be temporarily unavailable from Amazon.com."
Yeah, submerged factories could lead to production constraints, eh?

10-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A low blow is what Pentax needs now, since they came up with nothing new to sell this year.
10-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Holy shite! Sony is out of the dSLR business! Nikon is 90% out (or is it?) and don't expect any more bargain Western Digital drives at CostCo. Eggs in one basket, yow!

And "Camera factories submerged. No prospect of recovery."
It's been a tough year for Nikon as the FF Plant was destroyed in the Tsunami earlier this year (try and find FF Nikon stock it's been brutal all year)
I had read they were going to move FF to that plant as well. if that's true then Nikon is in serious trouble.
If the Sony plant was responsible for sensors then it's really bad news but i don't believe it was

Too bad about the Nex7 it actually had a lot of promise

Ricoh needs to get out there with some product announcements this is a huge chance for market share (and Canon will be sure to capitalize on it)
10-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Sony postpones product launches:

BBC News - Sony postpones product launches due to Thailand floods

10-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Probably the biggest impact will be the loss of hard drive capacity. Computer prices will rise due to this in all likelihood which is something i can't remember happening (Given they normally drop like a stone within a week of my purchasing one )
10-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Probably the biggest impact will be the loss of hard drive capacity.
Yeah, Western Digital lost a big chunk of their production capability. No more cheap drives a CostCo for awhile.

QuoteQuote:
Computer prices will rise due to this in all likelihood which is something i can't remember happening
I think it was the late 1980's when a Kyocera ceramics plant was destroyed -- in a quake? The plant made cases for microchips. The one plant made MOST OF THE WORLD'S ceramic chip cases. Untiil then, RAM prices had been steadily falling. With the plant gone, prices spiked, and stayed high for a couple years until it was rebuilt, probably delaying the adoption of Windows and helping to kill OS/2. (Flash from the past!) It may have helped kill-off Kyocera's subsidiary Yashica too, but I could be wrong there.

I can't recall any similar major bargain-busters since then, until the Fukushima quake and meltdown a few months ago.

Last edited by RioRico; 10-20-2011 at 03:54 PM.
10-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Forum Member

This is an absolutely incredible opportunity for Pentax/Ricoh to make hay in the dSLR and MILC market segments.

Let's also not forget that Olympus appears to have some critical financial issues that will keep it from bringing much to the table in the near future. Panasonic seems alright, but they also seem unable to produce any m43rds sensors with improved noise and dynamic range performance. Canon seems to be out of new and exciting ideas, but they are still in very good financial shape. As for Samsung, I feel as though their NX system is a bad joke in that it has huge potential, but they are completely failing to deliver on it. Exhibit A is their complete inability to deliver any of the lenses on their 2011 roadmap. Exhibit B is their relentless pimping of the idiotic, over-priced, high-noise, small sensor hell known as the MV800 over the NX200 and new NX lenses.
10-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thethirdcoast Quote
As for Samsung, I feel as though their NX system is a bad joke in that it has huge potential, but they are completely failing to deliver on it. Exhibit A is their complete inability to deliver any of the lenses on their 2011 roadmap.
At least Samsung put lenses on their roadmap...
10-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

This is an absolutely incredible opportunity for Pentax/Ricoh to make hay in the dSLR and MILC market segments.

Let's also not forget that Olympus appears to have some critical financial issues that will keep it from bringing much to the table in the near future. Panasonic seems alright, but they also seem unable to produce any m43rds sensors with improved noise and dynamic range performance. Canon seems to be out of new and exciting ideas, but they are still in very good financial shape. As for Samsung, I feel as though their NX system is a bad joke in that it has huge potential, but they are completely failing to deliver on it. Exhibit A is their complete inability to deliver any of the lenses on their 2011 roadmap. Exhibit B is their relentless pimping of the idiotic, over-priced, high-noise, small sensor hell known as the MV800 over the NX200 and new NX lenses.
it is even worse for Nikon they delayed the D800 over the weekend due to the Thai flood. Even though it's MIJ, parts come from Thailand.
It really is too bad Pentax Ricoh doesn't have FF and Milc ready to go because it looks like the only Major players for the christmas season this year are Canon in SLR and Panasonic in Milc.
Even if they can just get out there with KR K5 and Q in enough quantity on showroom floors Pentax could do quite well. I imagine major chain buyers are in a scramble right now to fill the holes in their Christmas marketing created by Sony and Nikon. Don't know about the rest of the world but in North America the next 2 months are the entire profit for the year at retail (actually December is the profit, November pays the last of the bills)
10-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
At least Samsung put lenses on their roadmap...
Yes, that is true.

My personal preference is for underpromising and overdelivering, which is what I hope Pentax is able to do.

I can't stand overpromising and underdelivering, which is what Samsung has done with their 2011 lens roadmap.
10-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hmmm...I'm hoping the supply chain for Nikon APS-C is severely disrupted as to spur some high used prices because people can't buy new. Then maybe I can sell my D7000 for close to what I paid
10-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, that is true.

My personal preference is for underpromising and overdelivering, which is what I hope Pentax is able to do.

I can't stand overpromising and underdelivering, which is what Samsung has done with their 2011 lens roadmap.
Pentax is currently underpromising and never delivering. That's not exactly better. The only lenses that I can think of in the last 2 yrs (maybe 1.5 yrs) are the good but unspectacular DA35/2.4 and 18-135.