Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Panasonic GX1

Like it? Seems like a logical GF1 upgrade to me.

'Panasonic GX1 Pictures'

10-29-2011, 03:21 AM   #2

It looks like a GF1, yeah. However, there's a lot of people who are disappointed: the rumours pointed to a NEX-7 competitor, something looking like the Panasonic LC1, and they got a NEX-5N competitor.
10-29-2011, 04:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

No built-in VF -> fail.
10-29-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
No built-in VF -> fail.
How many models with built-in EVFs does Panasonic need? Half their line-up already has them :/

I'm stumped by the response to this...

At the user-forums (mu-43 for instance) people seem pretty excited about a genuine GF1 replacement.

At 43rumors everyone is cutting it too shreds

Meh, I like the look of it (although I have a feeling the grip is pre-production...) and love the control layout (direct buttons for everything that matters, two C modes, two Fn buttons, and a on/off switch). If it has the G3 sensor or better I'll probably get one as a compact backup and travel body for my GH2.

I think it's a camera enthusiasts and owners will love, and tech-junkies will rant about

10-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Cameras without a VF may be OK for the average users upgrading from their P&S, but IMO a MILC advertised as "high end" or "pro" is bound to need a VF. And while the external ones may work pretty well in some aspects, I find them fragile and unpractical. Hence my harsh evaluation.
10-29-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mixed feelings on it.
GF1 was a really like able RF style body. Building on it like what the GX1 is doing is not wrong. Just that it brings too little to the table at this time point with competition like NEX7.
Also seems not to have addressed the 3yr call by many enthusiasts for a even more Rf style side positioned evf.

Then again, many report favorable usage of a high resolution oled lcd on nex5 and ep3, such that a evf is not that much a necessity, so GX1 may be on right track.

Those who want a better resolution and iso performance GF1 will like it.

Those who want a gf1 with evf, should get a g3. But at the end, its all about styling and some just hate the 'mini dslr' look of the g3.

Last edited by pinholecam; 10-29-2011 at 05:38 AM.
11-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nobody likes this camera, do they?

11-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I like it. Slightly smaller than the GF1 and certainly would have improved IQ and feature-set. Compared to the GF2 and 3, this camera looks more like a camera again and less like whatever direction Panasonic was going down when they put the GF3 out (very feminine to say the least)

This body paired with the new 14-42 power zoom could make a handy little gem.

Jason
11-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Nobody likes this camera, do they?
The camera hasn't actually been released yet and at the moment we have pretty much no idea what's in it. We don't even know the sensor they've used.

So I'm not sure what people do or don't like
11-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The overwhelming majority that has voiced their opinions seems to hate the fact that there's no internal EVF, and not care about anything else on it.
11-06-2011, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The overwhelming majority that has voiced their opinions seems to hate the fact that there's no internal EVF, and not care about anything else on it.
because having an internal EVF is a big deal to the people in which this level of camera is going to be marketed to. its pretty simple really. if they are disappointed with a big aspect of the camera, very little else matters because thats essentially compromising.
11-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
because having an internal EVF is a big deal to the people in which this level of camera is going to be marketed to. its pretty simple really. if they are disappointed with a big aspect of the camera, very little else matters because thats essentially compromising.
They can get the new tilt evf, or buy a G3
11-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
They can get the new tilt evf, or buy a G3
they can, but neither is this camera with a built in EVF. I'm not really for or against it, as I’m not even interested in owning a mirrorless, I just think the lack of one is a valid reason for being disappointed. I saw a promo video for this camera today, and it looks really good.. quite beautifully designed really.
11-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
they can, but neither is this camera with a built in EVF. I'm not really for or against it, as I’m not even interested in owning a mirrorless, I just think the lack of one is a valid reason for being disappointed. I saw a promo video for this camera today, and it looks really good.. quite beautifully designed really.
My point is that Panasonic has the "small camera with EVF" market covered with the G3 and the "small camera that looks hip and has physical controls" market covered with the GX1. I guess they don't have the "small camera that looks hip, has physical controls, and has an EVF" market covered, but how many ways can you reasonably expect Panasonic to slice the market? And the reality is that most people - especially those moving up from phones and P&S cameras - don't shoot with a VF of any sort, so the GX1 will seem natural to them.

At some point, we've got to admit that we - those that want to bring the camera up to our eye - are the anachronism, not the other way 'round. And one way's not definitively better than the other - they've each got strengths and weaknesses.

Funny, because just the other day I went out to take photos of I motorcycle that I'm currently testing - a Moto Guzzi Norge. It was a bit of a challenge - black bike on a bright day. Have to really push the exposures to get any detail. With the K-5 I struggled to see whether I nailed the exposure, as the rear LCD was getting washed out by the sun. I had the blinkies on, which helped, but still. With the GH2, shooting in this situation was much easier. I have it set up to have the EVF show me what the final exposure will look like, so I can see as I'm composing how the shot will be exposed. Furthermore, I've set the EVF set up to 1-sec review whenever I take a shot. With those aids, I felt confident enough to use the rear LCD in live view and get angles that I would otherwise struggle to get. All in all, I was much more confident shooting with the GH2 in this situation.

11-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Built-in VF or not, what makes this camera special?

I saw something about sensitivity approaching Sony, which is probably (by my guess) closer to rumor than reality. Otherwise, it looks like other µ43 bodies.

BTW, I'm uneducated about the Panasonic camera line. I'm really wonder what the fuss is about when from where I sit it looks like an evolution of one of the basic µ43 body types. Does this camera provide wonderful new features or permit different approaches to photography?

EDIT: To answer my own question: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-sources-explains-why-the-gx1-is-much-better-than-you-think/
Summary:
• sexy looking
• high quality
• better IQ from similar sensor (probably means they cook JPG better than before)

Last edited by Aegon; 11-06-2011 at 09:46 PM.