Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Chris, I'm interested to know why you didn't go for the Fujifilm X10. The sensor is about the same size as the Nikon CX sensor, and it has the advantage (for many of us) of having an optical viewfinder. Did you consider it, and, if so, why choose the J1 over the X10? Of course, it doesn't come in pink, but there's always the after-market "Bling" option .
From my NEX-5N thread:
QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately, recently I have suffered permanent damage to my right eye, and as a result I can no longer focus very well with it. Hence viewfinders are problematic for me - which is why I am now switching to using mirrorless cameras.
Anyway, the main reason I didn't look at the X10 is because I don't like Fuji. I don't get the whole "retro" look, the X100 was a very quirky camera (in a bad way), and I don't fancy Fuji's long term survival chances.

11-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
From my NEX-5N thread:

Anyway, the main reason I didn't look at the X10 is because I don't like Fuji. I don't get the whole "retro" look, the X100 was a very quirky camera (in a bad way), and I don't fancy Fuji's long term survival chances.
OK, I can understand why a viewfinder isn't a good option for you - I didn't see your NEX-5N thread.

The "retro look" isn't a big attraction for me either, although "retro functionality" and "retro build quality" are, along with "retro IQ" as distinct from "retro image grain and colouration", if you see what I mean. Still, there's no denying the IQ from the J1, so the N1 might be worth a look if one wants a VF, but I doubt it's a value proposition stacked up against the X10, unless the functionality's of a much higher order.

I couldn't profess to any depth of knowledge of Fuji's prospects for survival, though if X100 sales are anything to go by, they must be in with a reasonable chance.
11-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photos from the weekend (Centennial Park)

11-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #19

What's the reason for choosing J1 over Pentax Q ?

Last edited by jackseh; 11-20-2011 at 02:16 PM.
11-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Chatswood Station 07:54:59

Concentration:

Playing in the rain:

The shipwreck:

buOy:
11-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Unfortunately your iPhone will not give you anywhere the image quality you seek - no where near the shots you have just published.

I do own the iPhone4s and my Sony HX5v trounces it,

The only phone that has truly outstanding IQ when it comes to taking photo's is the Samsung Galaxy S2 - trust me it trounces the iPhone - my son owns the the Samsung

Below is a link to casual grab shots taken with the Samsung from my 16 yr old

Samsung galaxy s2 - a set on Flickr
11-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you own an iphone 4 or an i phone 4s? Because I think the same sensor is in the 4s as is in the Galaxy S II.

12-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The J1 with kit zoom is a great architecture camera - mainly because the camera is small and light, so can get into places where a DSLR will struggle to fit.

Underneath a staircase:

Homage to M.C. Escher:

A Japanese couple walked past me as I was taking photos, and the woman pointed at my camera and said to her companion: "Kawaii ..." - so this photo is a homage to the camera colour:

For some reason this reminds me of a set of a science fiction movie:
04-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haven't used the J1 for a while (spent way too much time with my M mount lenses)

But took it out for a lunchtime walk yesterday and managed to get this:

Also on a neighbour's fence on the way to work:

I like the bokeh in this: