Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sony NEX 5N ordered with M42, Pentax K DA and Auto 110 adapters

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thanks to everyone in NEX thread's help. I took a short trip to visit a local store with a NEX 5 for try out. It is slower in auto focus but the functionality and the potential with many lenses combination won me over. The focus peeping is a great feature in this camera. And I like the shift focus with the E lens. I have the kit lens 18-55 and 16. The EVF will be a later add-on when I find it necessary. Had I gone into my K5 upgrade, I will have no money for the purchase. I have given up my original plan with K5 plus a p&s with Panasonic LX-5 or Samsung Ex-1. My reason misery with 2nd dead Pentax digital bodies in 12 months has held me up for the K5 which is my ideal choice of upgrade to go to. I am hoping my K20D good return after repair and serve as a combo with my Sony 5N. I may still go after a K7 or K5 upgrade later on.

I will be reporting soon how well the 5N works with pancakes in M42, M39 and small lenses like the Pentax Auto 110.

Pentax auto 110 24mm f/2.8 small lens

Industar 50-2 50mm f/3.5 pancake in M42 mount

Industar 69 28mm f/2.8 pancake in M39 mount

The first picture is mine and I have not gotten my two pancakes form Industar yet. The above pictures link from various sources from images.google.com.

If any of you have experiences with Pentax Auto 110 lenses, please do share the knowledge. I know that all auto 110 lenses will be used wide open as the aperture control stay in the Pentax Auto 110 body but they surely look minimalist when mounted on the N5.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-20-2011 at 08:50 AM.
11-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
JHD
Veteran Member

Congrats. Look forward to your reading impressions and seeing some shots. I plan to buy one too, but first I want to sell my NEX-5 and K-x. Too many cameras.
11-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Congrats. Look forward to your reading impressions and seeing some shots. I plan to buy one too, but first I want to sell my NEX-5 and K-x. Too many cameras.
Thank you for your comment. My RainbowImaging K and M42 adapters just arrived. I wish them thinner like the Leica M mount or the Auto 110 adapter. My camera has not arrived yet and I will hopefully report back as much as I find.

With the K-adapter, I think both my 15 and 43 will double in length. However with the thin body in 5N, the overall still compact to use. But the 5N with kit lens sure look like a beer can on an iPhone.

And thanks to forum member with Nick, I am about to load up auto 110 lens with 18 pan, 24, 20-40, 50 and 70. I know they all meter wide open but I am hopeful for a miniature like setup with 5N. For those eager to look, you can see this link

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-18-2011 at 07:45 PM.
11-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Hin,

I am very interested in seeing or hearing about the results of your 100 lenses on the 5N. I have 3 Auto 110 lenses and was thinking of experimenting with those on the 5N when I buy it soon and was hoping to get your opinion and findings before buying the adapter.

Jason

11-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

5N would be my choice, too.
The focussing on the touch screen seems to be a perfect feature for MF lenses.
11-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Blende8, you are kidding, right? I mean if one can focus MF lenses using either zooming or focus peaking, how could the touch screen focus area selection help? Or does it zoom that area?
11-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
5N would be my choice, too.
Even without the touch screen, the peek focusing with option to show focusing area/region with highlighted red color seem to help. I don't yet have my 5N. It should arrive mid next week and I will report back how well it works. I hear mix feeling on the touch-screen feature on 5N and many people turn it off initially to avoid unintentional switching of setting and function. Last week, when I try a demo on the previous version NEX 5, the peak focusing really shines when I use the kit lens in manual focus mode but I have not tried it on a manual lens. For E-mount lens, they also have the shift focus feature like the DA lens that allows you to manually adjust after focus is obtained by the camera.

And out of all the adapters, the Leica M seems to be among the smallest one. The L39/M39/LTM is also very small. I am not familiar with Leica mounts and I certainly hope my RainbowImaging L39/M39 to NEX will cover what I need. I have ordered the M39 and it is almost half the height of the equivalent in the K or the M42 to NEX adapter.

If you like Voigtlander in Leica M mount, it will be a great match with good performance while having small lens and thinner adapter.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-18-2011 at 08:00 PM.
11-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Hi Hin,

I am very interested in seeing or hearing about the results of your 100 lenses on the 5N. I have 3 Auto 110 lenses and was thinking of experimenting with those on the 5N when I buy it soon and was hoping to get your opinion and findings before buying the adapter.

Jason
I will certainly report back. Most of the adapters that I get come from RainbowImaging which DeadWolfBones recommends in the other thread in NEX Pictures thread.

I will update this thread and my learning blog as soon as I find some shooting opportunity next week when my 5N arrives.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-18-2011 at 07:55 PM.
11-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I will certainly report back. Most of the adapters that I get come from RainbowImaging which DeadWolfBones recommends in the other thread in NEX Pictures thread.

I will update this thread and my learning blog as soon as I find some shooting opportunity next week when my 5N arrives.

Cheers,
Hin

I'd like to get some adapters from them. sadly, they replied only once and didn't get an invoice modification for shipping. I'm a bit annoyed since I had sent them 4 messages requesting for the total and still no update. and yes, I dont like waiting for 3 weeks especially the holidays are right around the corner.
11-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'd like to get some adapters from them. sadly, they replied only once and didn't get an invoice modification for shipping. I'm a bit annoyed since I had sent them 4 messages requesting for the total and still no update. and yes, I dont like waiting for 3 weeks especially the holidays are right around the corner.
I am more lucky than you as I get three separate adapters from them on ebay and all are within 3 to 4 days from payment. They ship quickly after payment for the US buyers.

[update] I picked the Free shipping option in their ebay store for US buyers and hence I don't run into support issues needing me to contact them. Try to see if you can find a phone number to talk to someone in person over the phone. Their Amazon shipment is likely longer for me.

Cheers,
Hin
11-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am more lucky than you as I get three separate adapters from them on ebay and all are within 3 to 4 days from payment. They ship quickly after payment for the US buyers.

[update] I picked the Free shipping option in their ebay store for US buyers and hence I don't run into support issues needing me to contact them. Try to see if you can find a phone number to talk to someone in person over the phone. Their Amazon shipment is likely longer for me.

Cheers,
Hin
my worry is that I would probably receive the items after 3 weeks as far as my experience with HK/CHINA is concerned. the only time that I got faster shipment is 1 week, but that was EMS service. anything that has offered free shipping so far made me wait for about a month.
11-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
my worry is that I would probably receive the items after 3 weeks as far as my experience with HK/CHINA is concerned. the only time that I got faster shipment is 1 week, but that was EMS service. anything that has offered free shipping so far made me wait for about a month.
The store that I listed for RainbowImaging above is based in New York. There are some other ebay sellers that sells adapters labelled with Rainbow Imaging. But the link that DeadWolfBones and I linked above is the actual store based New York. Please check the store link.

Cheers,
Hin
11-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #13
Banned

Rainbowimaging was actually the seller from which I ordered my first M42 adapter through amazon. I just discovered them on ebay and ordered a couple of other adapters - they already shipped one.
11-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Or does it zoom that area?
Yes, it does.
11-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The store that I listed for RainbowImaging above is based in New York. There are some other ebay sellers that sells adapters labelled with Rainbow Imaging. But the link that DeadWolfBones and I linked above is the actual store based New York. Please check the store link.

Cheers,
Hin
I checked eBay and it's the same seller/link that you listed. I bought some item from them but haven't paid it yet because I can't get their final invoice for the shipping modification. I might just buy elsewhere if my patience run out.