Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Ok I need to ask... NIF adapter? What's that short for? Not In Focus?
Non-infinity focus. The wide-flange M42-PK adapters are NIF. They push the lens 1mm further away from the sensor. Bye-bye infinity. Hi there, intimacy. The effect can be minor for lenses 180mm and longer, or striking for glass shorter than 60mm. An NIF adapter is great for portraiture because we don't care about infinity.

QuoteQuote:
Hrmm.. more 50s... I was hoping to get out of the fast fifites.. I've got like 6 or so of those now, all with different aperture speeds as well as a few doubles with different coatings. Still, if it lets me in super close perhaps it can push out the manuals.
Let's talk about close-focus distance (CFD). My SuperTak 50/1.4 and 55/1.8 each have a nominal CFD= 45cm. The cheap safe NIF adapter pushes that down to about 27cm. Many 28mm lenses have a nominal CFD= 30cm. On a NIF adapter, that drops to 15cm. Far focus on a 28 drops from infinity down to maybe 1m.

QuoteQuote:
Just as important, did any of the three you just recommended require modding?
The Meyer|Pentacon and Porst are straight M42. The Porst has an A/M switch. The Meyer Orestron | Pentacon Color copies seen lack that switch; the aperture pin must be jammed down in order to work the iris. The CZJ Tessar is Exakta mount -- mod the adapter, not the lens. For close work, don't even bother modding the adapter. NOTE: the 12-iris-blade 1-ring-preset Tessar is one of my absolute favorite lenses, literally always in my bag, tiny and superb. And mine was cheap!

I know -- you'll ask, MOD THE ADAPTER? Like this: Take an Exakta mount lens. Glue an ultra-cheap M39-M42 ring around the bayonet. Grind down (on sandpaper) a cheap M42-PK adapter till the lens reaches infinity focus, if that is important to you. No cutting, no lens damage.

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The 18-250 can be focused at a foot or so over its entire zoom range (which only gets to about 180mm when focused on close subjects). Very versatile.
Yes, it does go close. Its nominal CFD= 45cm but I measure it closer to 25cm. The DA18-55 also focuses closer than its nominal CFD of 25cm -- I measure it as under 15cm. Why are the specs so far off?

Last edited by RioRico; 11-19-2011 at 05:10 AM.
11-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You're a walking lens encyclopedia Rico!!
11-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member

You're a walking lens encyclopedia Rico!!
Sometimes my pages drag in the muck.
11-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, it does go close. Its nominal CFD= 45cm but I measure it closer to 25cm. The DA18-55 also focuses closer than its nominal CFD of 25cm -- I measure it as under 15cm. Why are the specs so far off?
I don't have my kit lens handy, but as I recall it's at least 10cm long. That would put your <15cm inside the lens. I'm pretty sure it doesn't focus that close. So I would guess you're not measuring from the film plane.

So the answer to your question is: They're not off, they're just not measuring the same thing as you. (Well, they probably are off, but not as much as you think.)

11-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I don't have my kit lens handy, but as I recall it's at least 10cm long. That would put your <15cm inside the lens. I'm pretty sure it doesn't focus that close. So I would guess you're not measuring from the film plane.

So the answer to your question is: They're not off, they're just not measuring the same thing as you. (Well, they probably are off, but not as much as you think.)
My DA18-55 measures 7cm long.

Measuring from the film plane adds ~4.5cm, not 10 or 20. But it's a good question: where do the distance marks on a lens measure from? The film plane? The optical center? We mere mortal end-users usually put a ruler between the subject and the lens front to measure distances. I see that some macro lenses show magnification, not distance, for close work. Is there a standard for basing focus measurements?
11-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My understanding has been that the 'official' lens spec (and scale) distances are always from the image (film/sensor) plane (?).
11-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quote of the Day?

Sorry, I'll umm go back to PP...

11-21-2011, 03:47 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I have been known to be wrong.

Measuring from the film plane adds ~4.5cm, not 10 or 20. But it's a good question: where do the distance marks on a lens measure from? The film plane? The optical center? We mere mortal end-users usually put a ruler between the subject and the lens front to measure distances. I see that some macro lenses show magnification, not distance, for close work. Is there a standard for basing focus measurements?
Obviously, as seen by adding my numbers, I assumed you were measuring from the front element. Which would make your measurement 11.5cm short in this case, which fits well with your >10cm error.

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
My understanding has been that the 'official' lens spec (and scale) distances are always from the image (film/sensor) plane (?).
Mine as well. Which fits both with measurements, what they say, and reason (or what passes for it in my case at any rate).
11-21-2011, 03:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Quote of the Day?
Not a brag, obviously.

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Obviously, as seen by adding my numbers, I assumed you were measuring from the front element. Which would make your measurement 11.5cm short in this case, which fits well with your >10cm error.
Oh bother. Now I must re-do a number of measurements.
11-21-2011, 04:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not a brag, obviously.