Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fujifilm X10 - my first impressions...

I know Rupert loves his, and there is indeed much to admire about this little camera, it is terrific in many ways! But after few days with it, here are some of my thoughts...

Exceptional built quality
Fit and finish
Compact
Fast Lens
Optical IS
View Finder
Very good AWB
Many customizable options for photo appearance
IQ
Quick focus

Not so much:

Subject isolation capabilities
Bokeh
View Finder
Battery life
Gimmicky Macro/Supermacro modes

Overall, it’s amazingly built compact camera, it is pleasure to hold and look at, IQ is very good for such little guy. But… And this “but” is for me personally…

I’m a sucker for a shallow dof to begin with, and this camera, with it’s small sensor - subject isolation is definitely something I wish it was capable of (unfortunately not so much), and that is my biggest gripe.

I’m used to learning the treats of DSLR lens first, and make the lens do the work, based on how I want my subject/object to appear. Not the case here… Even on the close up, DOF is huge, Macro or super macro modes are only available via control buttons, which activate it’s capabilities, and only at the widest setting (not through the entire range).

View finder, glad it has it, but, I feel like I have no control over the focus, since there is no confirmation in the viewfinder. Almost like taking a gamble? Point, compose, hear the beep, and hope that the camera got it right (and it does most of the time, quickly too) Excellent screen to use as an alternative, bright, customizable info, but eats the battery rather quickly.

I guess my expectations were somewhat false… I thought the lens with this focal range, and F2.0-F2.8 would be able to perform close to DSLR lens, but unless I’m inches away from the subject, inherited huge DOF of this camera becomes very apparent, and subject isolation that I often want - does not exist. Almost feels like a P&S with few manual controls available.

It is probably worth every penny, it is very nice little camera with tons of options, great IQ and exceptional built, but for my personal “likes”, lack of adequate viewfinder with at least visual focus confirmation in it and huge DOF - we have not fallen in love with each other on the outdoors or indoors…

I will keep it for a week, will play with it, will see if our relationship will improve...

Regards,
D

11-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the insight. I'm looking forward to your comments after a week. I had thought of getting one myself as a 2nd camera for travel due to the build quality, viewfinder and larger sensor (as compared to the Q).
11-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice personal review - thanks!
Quick question though... is it my monitor or do the raspberries seem limited in DR?
11-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, will see in a week, just need to call Crutchfield, to see if there are any limitation of shutter actuation... I love the way it feels, but just can't get over the view finder and DOF for now...

John - I don't have any high-end monitors, but on my laptop and 22" Gateway Faroudja, I don't see any rough dynamic range separations. But if I had to guess, right lower corner? Maybe someone with a nice, quality monitor can tell me? DR was set at 200% if I'm not mistaken for that snap.

One thing I forgot to mention, red/burgundy/purple tones - excellent detail on the camera screen!

Regards,
D

11-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
John - I don't have any high-end monitors, but on my laptop and 22" Gateway Faroudja, I don't see any rough dynamic range separations. But if I had to guess, right lower corner? Maybe someone with a nice, quality monitor can tell me? DR was set at 200% if I'm not mistaken for that snap.
Okay thanks.
It's probably on my end.
My monitor is from the 1920's anyways(should have known better).

BTW. I really like the X100. I've been meaning to buy one for the wife for our 15'th anniversary.
11-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Almost feels like a P&S with few manual controls available.
isn't that exactly what it is?
11-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Hmmm...I think you should have known that a small sensor would not deliver great DOF and creamy bokeh? It is one of the reasons so many keep hollering for FF sensor cameras. Perhaps you should have purchased the x100 with a large sensor...but then again, you would be limited to a 23mm fixed lens.
There are trade offs in every camera, but for a small camera, the x10 hits the spot for me. Maybe you will fall in love with it....maybe not. It will never replace my K5, but it is so handy for a walkabout camera, and so excellent at how it performs as such, I don't think I could live without it after my first week!
I also have the leather case.......just to look at it in that case is almost reason enough to own it! Lens hood coming next week......Yes...I'm in love!
I go around shooting everything in sight with it......even a big pot of Possum Stew!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
Rupert

11-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the quick review. Those raspberries look fantastic on my 32" samsung monitor. I've been looking for a replacement point n shoot and i think this is it.
11-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I also have the leather case.......just to look at it in that case is almost reason enough to own it! Lens hood coming next week......Yes...I'm in love!
You know you're in love with something when you start buying presents for it
11-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
isn't that exactly what it is?
That is exactly what it is.

Jason
11-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sounds to me that you are not in love with the X10. Can you take it back before the return window closes?

Jason
11-21-2011, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is still plenty of time, but I don't want to give up so quickly on very capable compact camera yet... I do like the fact that I don't have a way of changing a lens, it is quick "grab and use" little thing.

I'm actually quite impressed with the way it interprets colors, overall metering and very accurate AWB imo. Details on white (and does not have tendency to blow out the reds):

And some darker things...

I think as long as I understand it's limitations, I could make a good use of it's fine points... Will see...

Regards,
D
11-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
You know you're in love with something when you start buying presents for it
You can push it too far Twitch.......When I put the x10 on Mrs Rupert's pillow next to me the other night, and asked her to sleep in the guest room......I went a little too far. My x10 is now in hiding....and so am I!
Regards!
11-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You can push it too far Twitch.......When I put the x10 on Mrs Rupert's pillow next to me the other night, and asked her to sleep in the guest room......I went a little too far. My x10 is now in hiding....and so am I!
Regards!
LOL Too funny, Rupert!!!

Well, here is the last shot with my X10:

It is a beautifully built camera, exceptional image quality, it is beautiful to look at and to hold. But at the end, it is the lack of DOF control through the lens and bokeh - is what was a deal breaker for me. Yes, you can somewhat control DOF, but it is done via software in the camera, and to me it is not the same... She's going back to Crutchfiled...

Regards,
D
11-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #15
Banned

Since I have two MFT bodies , four MFT lenses and adapters for all of my K-mount lenses I would go for the GX1 instead that is smaller than the X10 and has a larger sensor for DOF control. But my GH2 is much smaller than my K-7 and is about the same size as my Canon SX30 IS so it's easy to bring on day trips etc.