Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #2656
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for your thorough reply Rupert!

What you say makes perfect sense, and kind of how I felt deep down all along. To be honest, I am a pixel peeper and strive for the ultimate sharpness in all my photos. I view all my photos at 100% and any that do not immediately pass that test get trashed. I might keep less than 5% of the photos I take. Being that I do all my shooting here at home on my property, camera size is not an issue at all.

And I realize that nobody can speculate on the x20 yet - I was meaning to ask for a comparison with the x10 which you did - you read my mind!

I guess I get caught up in the hype with the new cameras - I am a bit of a gear junkie. The advent of that really neat looking viewfinder with the information in it just looks so good!

Thanks again Rupert - you put my mind at ease a bit and made me revisit my initial intentions with my image making.

03-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #2657
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Rico's Xpert Corner is excellent, and he is also a fairly frequent poster in seriouscompacts.com and fujixspot.com. He is always one of the first to get new Fuji gear (I think he's an official something) and will post many shots to demonstrate any Fuji he gets to shoot with. So, if anyone has an interest in other Fuji cameras, do check out both locations, and look for posts by flysurfer.
Sue: I agree both are nice sites. I just don't have enough time to visit often enough. I have seen many of your posts over at Seriouscompacts. Flysurfer seems very knowledgable. Are you using the X100 exclusively? I have a K5 and I sometimes wonder if I would be better off limiting my choices with a X100s.
03-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #2658
MSM
Veteran Member

@Rupert: Nice shots. I agree the X10 files and my K5 Raw files can be pretty close at times since I mostly view on my computer and not at 100%. If I am honest with myself (and I won't be) I know that I rarely print let alone print bigger than 8x 10. I have some LCD photo frames in my office that I upload shots to. So, it brings into question, perhaps I could get away with only shooting the Fuji X10. I just can't let go...
03-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #2659
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

MSM/Stan......We overkill. We do it with cameras and lenses we don't often really need, always striving for perfection, when most of the time something of much less ability will work just fine. It's part of what we do as addicted shooters, like a guy with gold plated golf clubs that wants to show his dedication and hopes it will make him a better performer too. Nothing wrong with that if it is affordable, but expectations and reality are two different things.

Still, the X10, which I like to call my "Toy Camera" is a fully capable camera and to even compare it....and compare it very favorably....with the K5 and some of the best glass Pentax makes is a tribute to its high performance. I can't go much further than that, everyone knows I am biased toward my X10, and with good cause in my view.
I hope the X20 will bring me the same satisfaction and joy.

Regards!

03-15-2013, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #2660
Veteran Member

Post Your Fujifilm X100/X10 Pictures

I haven't printed a photo in over a year. As I said earlier, sometimes when managing my photos on Flickr I have been pleasantly surprised to find one was taken with the X10 instead of a DSLR, as I thought it must have been on first glance.

I shot an event in 2012 using only the X10, knowing the photos would probably be web-only, and had nothing but positive comments on them. I shot the same event this year with the X10 and the K-5 (JPG and DNG respectively). The X10 did a better job on WB and in general the files were easier to PP than those from the K-5. But it is still a compact camera and has the limitations that go with that. But I very sincerely doubt that any of the people who received the photos or who will view the photos on the group's site will have the slightest idea they came from two very different cameras, nor will they care.

The X10/20 has qualities that I just don't get from a DSLR: easy handheld low-light shots; easy portability - I have the camera, hood, three spare batteries, linear polarizer, ND8, step-up ring, and lens tissues in a small belt pouch.

My only vehicle now is my motorcycle, and carrying a lot of gear is impractical and a pain in the butt and being able to get all the basic camera gear on my belt is a huge plus. I even have my lighting gear pared down to being motorcycle-friendly. A small fanny pack carries an AF200T, grid snoot, GorillaPod, radio trigger/receiver, and spare batteries. A compact Slik travel tripod and a collapsible 5-way reflector/diffuser finish out a kit I can carry in one hand.

And if you like doing outdoor Strobist shots in the daylight, there is NOTHING as liberating as being freed from the tyranny of the 1/180 maximum sync speed. I'll swap a few megapixels and a little peepability for that any day.
03-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #2661
Veteran Member

Hi All,
A point on Fuji RAW..................Since I use Lightroom, I don't care what RAW is being shot because I always upload into Lightroom and COPY AS DNG in the Import process.

In the same IMPORT process, I copy the original RAW off into another hard drive for future use (if necessary), but seldom have gone back to retrieve the original RAW.
03-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #2662
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I haven't printed a photo in over a year. As I said earlier, sometimes when managing my photos on Flickr I have been pleasantly surprised to find one was taken with the X10 instead of a DSLR, as I thought it must have been on first glance.

My only vehicle now is my motorcycle, and carrying a lot of gear is impractical and a pain in the butt and being able to get all the basic camera gear on my belt is a huge plus. I even have my lighting gear pared down to being motorcycle-friendly. A small fanny pack carries an AF200T, grid snoot, GorillaPod, radio trigger/receiver, and spare batteries. A compact Slik travel tripod and a collapsible 5-way reflector/diffuser finish out a kit I can carry in one hand.
I don't make many prints, but those shots that I get a couple times a year that really stand out get a nice large print.

I can see in your situation where a small camera with all the great controls and IQ would be very important. I do all my shooting at home on my property so camera size isn't an issue for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Hi All,
A point on Fuji RAW..................Since I use Lightroom, I don't care what RAW is being shot because I always upload into Lightroom and COPY AS DNG in the Import process.

In the same IMPORT process, I copy the original RAW off into another hard drive for future use (if necessary), but seldom have gone back to retrieve the original RAW.
I never thought of that. I am just starting out with Lightroom now - I'll have to find some x10 raw images on the internet to harvest and try that out.

03-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #2663
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I shot the same event this year with the X10 and the K-5 (JPG and DNG respectively). The X10 did a better job on WB and in general the files were easier to PP than those from the K-5.
The Wedding:Lacie's Wedding - a set on Flickr

*I used the K5 and Tokina 28-70 ATF 2.8-I have tons of experience with both.
*Mrs Rupert used the X10 and had about 1 hour of experience with it and no camera expertise. She doesn't know aperture from A-hole.

Look them over, the files are marked Pentax or Fuji. The bride and her family didn't know which was which, and like Mike said, didn't care. They all printed very nicely, and when it got pitch black dark the X10 still functioned and the K5 wouldn't even fire.

The bride and he mom's favorite shot.
Fuji X10 shot by Mrs Rupert.
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

The bride wanted this shot, it was pitch black, the K5 would not focus or fire. Mrs Rupert, hand me that X10! She did, and I got the shot. Not perfect, but they got a memory the K5 wouldn't give them.
[IMG] [/IMG]

I rest my case!
Regards!
03-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #2664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Sue: I agree both are nice sites. I just don't have enough time to visit often enough. I have seen many of your posts over at Seriouscompacts. Flysurfer seems very knowledgable. Are you using the X100 exclusively? I have a K5 and I sometimes wonder if I would be better off limiting my choices with a X100s.
No, not exclusively x100 but I find as time wears on, I tend to pick that up much more frequently than the K-5. However, much as I love the X100, there are some things it just cant do as well as the K... so its both, for me (and an XZ1 and Ricoh GRD3)
03-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #2665
Veteran Member

Fujifilm X20
03-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #2666
Veteran Member

Just a couple of shots to give a rough idea of the effectiveness of a linear polarizer on the X20.

Is there a reason people pay from two to four times as much for a circular polarizer?
03-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #2667
Site Supporter

Is there a reason people pay from two to four times as much for a circular polarizer?
Phase detection autofocus (PDAF) gets confused by linear polarizers. Most SLRs use PDAF, so most SLRs shouldn't use linear polarizers.

Contrast detection AF doesn't care whether linear or circular.
03-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #2668
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Phase detection autofocus (PDAF) gets confused by linear polarizers. Most SLRs use PDAF, so most SLRs shouldn't use linear polarizers.

Contrast detection AF doesn't care whether linear or circular.
How do I tell it is a linear or circular polarizer? Some of them are not marked.
03-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #2669
Veteran Member

from yesterday‘s street festival, X00.

03-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #2670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
How do I tell it is a linear or circular polarizer? Some of them are not marked.
If it isn't marked, I would assume it is linear. If it is labeled "PL", it is linear. If it is labeled "CPL", circular.

Fujifilm X20