Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #3106
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm super excited and hoping to be posting my own X100 shots here soon.
Look forward to seeing your X100 work here soon. You have some nice shots in the Pentax Gallery!

I am going to go out and recruit some X10-X20 shooters for this forum so I won't be all alone here with my Toy Camera. I'm like Rodney Dangerfield, my Toy Camera gets no respect among all these high end X cameras on this Forum. Maybe I will buy all of Otis' squirrels a X20 and let them post here? No telling what they might post!

Regards!

06-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #3107

Photos: Albums
Hey folks! Proud to report I am a new owner of a Fuji X100S. First impressions (as the battery charges) = WOW! I love the feel in hands. You can tell it's a finely built camera, it has a great assembly quality and a very nice feel to it. Anyways, here are a few shots I took with my K-5 (could they be its final ones?...). I'll try to take the mandatory beer shots as soon as I have a chance.

Fujifilm X100S

X100S with a 1970's Minolta Hi-Matic F

Last edited by Into The Lens; 06-17-2013 at 10:11 PM.
06-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #3108
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
Hey folks! Proud to report I am a new owner of a Fuji X100S. First impressions (as the battery charges) = WOW! I love the feel in hands. You can tell it's a finely built camera, it has a great assembly quality and a very nice feel to it. Anyways, here are a few shots I took with my K-5 (could they be its final ones?...). I'll try to take the mandatory beer shots as soon as I have a chance.

Fujifilm X100S
X100S with a 1970's Minolta Hi-Matic F
Congrats.

I think you'll still shoot your DSLR after the honeymoon is over with this camera. There will be times when you need a longer lens, no doubt. With the marco capability of X100, it's almost like having two lenses was my experience. I certainly felt like I could get more picture variety with my X100 than I could with a 35mm prime on my DSLR because of that macro.
06-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #3109
Veteran Member

Congrats Ben. I agree with Tuco.

06-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #3110
Veteran Member

Congratulations!!.....but I am still hoping for a few X10/20 shooters to show up here and help me out.

Regards!
06-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #3111

Thanks guys. I'll most definitively still shoot the K-5. I bought the Fuji as a (compact) second body to carry around at festivals and for photo walks in the city, but mostly to carry with me in my bag at all times. I think the X100s with it's fixed focal length makes for a nice challenge too. It will force me to rethink my photography. I also ordered a FA-31mm for the K-5 that will complement the Fuji very well along with my FA-50mm 1.4. Two bodies plus two light lenses in a camera bag. My back will thank me.

I just remembered that I have a celebration with some friends next Saturday. The guy who owns the house where the party is taking place is a rep for a big brewery here in Canada, so I promise to post a few beer bottle shots early next week.

Cheers! (prepping up for Saturday...)
06-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #3112
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
I just remembered that I have a celebration with some friends next Saturday. The guy who owns the house where the party is taking place is a rep for a big brewery here in Canada, so I promise to post a few beer bottle shots early next week.

Cheers! (prepping up for Saturday...)
Good deal.

There are a couple of gotchas the X100 has for the uninitiated. One that might help with that beer shot. The camera can automatically be focused via the shutter button of course as well as pressing the AEL/AFL button when set to manual focus. But the two methods behave differently.

When auto focusing via the shutter button, the camera has a minium focus distance before you need to physically set it to macro mode. That can leave you wondering why a shot is OOF when you happen to be on the borderline.

However, when in manual mode and using the AEL/AFL button for auto focus, it will automatically go into macro shooting range if it needs to. No missing a shot so easily. So I made a habit out of shooting manual and pushing AEL/AFL button for focus anytime I started getting close to things. And it really isn't a bad way to focus the camera for general purpose either.

The other gotcha is the 1/2000 shutter speed limit when the lens is not stopped down to f8 and more. On a sunny day and the shutter speed is showing red, think of that first.

Enjoy.

06-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #3113

Thanks for the heads up Tuco. Will most definitely check this out.
06-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #3114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A couple from a wee recce this morning with the X100 - always visit spots in the cold light of day to see whats what before going out for a dawn.

06-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #3115
Veteran Member

From a couple of weeks ago, morning coffee with a friend

06-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #3116
Veteran Member

It's that time again!...time for a squirrel...Otis, to be specific.

X20
[IMG] [/IMG]

Crop from the full frame Raw done in Spix. Not bad for a Toy Camera!
[IMG] [/IMG]

With the X20 you get as close as you can, then about two feet closer.....but the zoom does make a world of difference when shooting wild and dangerous animals like Otis!

When the squirrels have retired, here come the raccoons to rob what was left in the feeders.
X20
[IMG] [/IMG]

I had some leftover roast turkey and the mama was glad to get it! She's not afraid of me, but won't get too close...and neither will I!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Gotta keep her fed, babies are coming soon!
[IMG] [/IMG]

It's not my Bigma, but it's not bad for a Toy Camera!
Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 06-05-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Add
06-05-2013, 08:11 PM - 2 Likes   #3117
MSM
Veteran Member

@Rupert: No fear, I will join you in representing the X10/20. Here are a few from the X10. I love the X10. I know that it is a small sensor but it is fun to use, zoom is nice and the macro is really nice. I have to admit I am leaning on getting a used X100 or new X100s. I just don't know if I can pull the trigger. This thread is pushing me though.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]
06-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #3118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Rupert: No fear, I will join you in representing the X10/20. Here are a few from the X10. I love the X10.
Man alive, am I glad to see you here! I feel so all alone and outclassed, but those shots you just posted are living proof that a small camera can do a great job too!
I too have had the X100/X-E1 temptation, but that fixed lens on the X100 is not for me, even though the shots are fabulous. The X-E1 and Pro are too much a duplication of my K5's abilities to justify either, but I am still considering them.
No matter, the X10/X20 is about as handy as a camera can get for my needs, and the IQ is well within the range of my needs for the purpose I bought it for. I've never had a more fun camera, and it makes every day a fun day for me. I though I might tire of my X10, but I never did...never even got close to tiring of it! If I go, my X10/20 goes with me!

Keep me company here, I love to see X10/20 shots, and it is obvious you have some great ones!

Regards!
06-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #3119
MSM
Veteran Member

Thanks Rupert for the kind words. I will try to post more often. I do check this thread out most days. I agree with you that the X series are just fun. I too thought I might get tired of the X10 but I just love using it. Occasionally, I see the limitations in the DR and think I need the X100. Fortunately, the XE1 doesn't appeal to me. I guess I like the idea of a fixed lens for my 'other' camera.

Mark
06-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #3120
Veteran Member

Here's a set from a recent hike out to Beacon Rock SP on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge. I have been wanting to shoot my X100 for a whole day in just B/W for fun....it was mostly cloudy that day, so I figured it was a good day for it. Shot a few frames with my MF camera as well, but these were all on my X100 set to monochrome mode.....Sarah took a couple shots as well.

-
-

-

-
-

-

-