Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Played around with Sony NEX 5n

So I was wandering around Best Buy, just killing time, and I played around with the Sony NEX-5n. I really love the way it looks and feels in my hand, but one thing i really hated was how there was no front and rear dials that you use to change aperture or shutter speed. You have to adjust one by spinning the thumbwheel, then press down, then adjust the other one by spinning the thumbwheel.

Seems really cumbersome
I understand that they are going for a "clean" look, but i dont want it at the expense of quickness.

12-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah, the UI/ergonomics are not ideal, but that's what the NEX-7 is for, I guess.
12-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yeah, the UI/ergonomics are not ideal, but that's what the NEX-7 is for, I guess.

I see for your sig that you have the 5n, how does it effect you in actual shooting conditions?
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, I'm in Av mode 95% of the time, so having one dial is good enough for me in most cases.

Custom functions can be assigned to most of the buttons, too, which helps.

12-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No need to use the dial - the touchscreen works well. The dial also works as cursor keypad, and the up/down also works when changing a selected parameter.

I can control up to 10 shooting parameters through a combination of the custom button, various soft keys and the touchscreen. I must admit, I didn't like the user interface at first, but now I am really used to it and not really missing the front dial.
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Can't stand touchscreens, personally, and it requires pulling the camera away from my face (I shoot with the EV1S 95% of the time).
12-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Can't stand touchscreens, personally, and it requires pulling the camera away from my face (I shoot with the EV1S 95% of the time).
I'm the opposite. Don't think I'll ever go back to viewfinders. I wish all cameras have touchscreens - point to focus is so useful and natural. And using the touchscreen to change a parameter is nice.

12-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I'm the opposite. Don't think I'll ever go back to viewfinders. I wish all cameras have touchscreens - point to focus is so useful and natural. And using the touchscreen to change a parameter is nice.
Thank you Christine for all of your inputs and photos. I find it useful but I have a difficult time with it in touching it at the wrong time when I am engaged in shooting. I find the touch screen great to use:
  • in picture display, all the swiping reminds me of a smart phone
  • in selecting AF point when Focus area is using Flexible spots -- I find this very helpful
  • perhaps other times for quicker access while in menu

Since I am using a LCD protector that acts like a shield as in this picture

With the help of the protector, my wrong doing with the touch screen is minimized and I manage to leave it ON and I find it useful but I will say it really take sometime for one to get used to.

Cheers,
Hin
12-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I'm in Av mode 95% of the time, so having one dial is good enough for me in most cases.

Custom functions can be assigned to most of the buttons, too, which helps.
I am 98% in Av mode. The extra dials in NEX 7 will be useful and handy. However, the 5N has three programmable soft buttons and I find them pretty handy for my use with 5N and the absence of the dials don't really steer me as a big minus. It is quite refreshing to say the least.

However the 5n has a small body size and I have small hands and even I find the soft buttons not located in the most convenient location. The good upper button is already taken for the shortcut to menu and the best custom key stay in the middle in the control dial that allow you to have 5 short cuts to your choices of customized shortcuts. And there is the Right key and bottom soft button.

I programmed my custom for
  • Iso
  • Focus area -- I toggle from flexible spot to center quite often
  • AF mode -- I toggle between AF, MF and DMF quite often
  • Creative Style -- I toggle between B&W and Std on a minute basis
  • Picture Effect -- I may be swapping this out soon but I like the Rich b&w and some funky style to explore with

And I program the bottom soft key for one of the following in order of priority
  • MF assist -- this is a must for me as I use it with peeking focus with MF lenses
  • Quality -- A raw/jpg/raw+ toggle
  • AEL -- locking of AE

And for the Right key area in the command dial
  • AEL -- locking of AE
  • MF assist -- this is a must for me as I use it with peeking focus with MF lenses

I sometime repeat the MF assist in soft key because when Flexible spot is used in AF area, the bottom soft key is used for Focus point and it can't be programmed.

Cheers,
Hin
12-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Thank you Christine for all of your inputs and photos. I find it useful but I have a difficult time with it in touching it at the wrong time when I am engaged in shooting. I find the touch screen great to use:
Apparently this is how I use a camera - photo of me using the Nikon J1:
Attached Images

12-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Apparently this is how I use a camera - photo of me using the Nikon J1:
That camera looks like something my wife would have when she was a Mary Kay consultant.