Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #31

I had a K5, have D700 now. Pretty much what's been said already: autofocus, ISO, controls.
It's not just noise that's better at higher iso, it's better colors (in my opinion)

I felt that with thin DOF with FF, what's the point of megapixels if you can't get the shot in focus.

I don't know how to explain this, but the D700 autofocus is in another class. To say it's "better" than K5 is a glaring understatement. This was the biggest jump for me, more so than FF bokeh and high ISO.

12-23-2011, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the original 5D and have had D700. First off, both are terrific systems. As said before, D700 has the better AF system. Some people say that if you like zooms you should go with Nikon, and if you like primes you should go with Canon. I don't agree. Both systems have awesome lenses. And there is always Zeiss, if you are willing to autofocus.
With 5DII, you get the extra resolution and the video. But you also get banding issues.

Another thing is Canon's controls are very wierd. I don't like the big wheel at the back. Nikon is better in this aspect.

I would suggest you also consider the 5D (original) if you can get a used one in good shape. It is a VERY high performing camera, even today. High ISO performance is very close(half a stop) to that of 5DII and D700. Low ISO is right up there, except lower resolution than 5DII. And the next point is subjective - but the image quality out of 5D, I feel is better than 5DII in terms of color reproduction. With 5DII, Canon went a little aggressive in rendering.

If I have to pick one iconic Nikon DSLR, I will pick D700. If I have to pick one iconic Canon DSLR, I will pick the 5D (not the 5DII).

End note - I had the D700 when I bought a k-5. And the D700 spoiled my experience of k-5. I never got the 'WOW' factor. Because many things in k-5, which were big improvements, still fell short of D700...like AF accuracy, high ISO, viewfinder, etc.

cheers,

Abhi
12-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Nice thread!

I have also been pondering between the Nikon D700 and Canon 5D markII. I went to a local camerastore to handle them and to me the Nikon felt more familiar. Heck, at first it took me quite a while to figure out how to switch the power on in the Canon. AF speed and the build quality was also better in the Nikon. One thing that has been keeping me away from the Nikon are the Nikon colours! Yes, the camera feels very nice but IMHO the colours seem to be very cold and especially the skin colours and the colour of the blue sky seem unnatural to my eyes. Maybe itīs something that can be easily corrected in PP, but still itīs something that annoys me.

I guess Iīm just too used to the Pentax colours..
That's funny... mostly I find that my Pentax gear has a distinctly cooler white balance tendency than my Nikon stuff.

edit: at least the K-5 does... my K-7 and older cameras didn't.
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you guys shoot JPEGs or can you tell the color difference from processed RAWs???

12-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
That's funny... mostly I find that my Pentax gear has a distinctly cooler white balance tendency than my Nikon stuff.

edit: at least the K-5 does... my K-7 and older cameras didn't.

Yes, well unfortunately I have no experience from the K-5 or K-7. Iīm still shooting the K200D, which has the same CCD sensor as K10D. Thereīs no science behind my claim, itīs just a feeling that I have when looking through the pictures. Maybe I need to get some D700 RAW files and try to handle them in lightroom.

Oh, and Dexmus, thanks for the tip! I have been considering the 5D as well, as the prices are quite low now.
12-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Back when these cameras came out, you'd most likely have one or the other based on if you did, say, a lot of landscape and wanted larger prints verses action and high ISO.

But for a general purpose camera, you'd then start considering all the other things about a camera touched on in the posts.
12-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Do you guys shoot JPEGs or can you tell the color difference from processed RAWs???
If it matters, comparing RAW shots from my D40x and K200D I saw zero differences in colors. The chip sets were supposed to be similar if not the same so any differences for those two cameras should have come down to software.

12-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I where to pick i would go the way of the D700 just because i dont do video, the D700 speaks in volume of its capabilities

cheers
12-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another vote for the older Canon 1Ds or 1D.

While Canon isn't as warm and friendly as Nikon or Pentax, it has the advantage of 10 years' worth of full-frame pro cameras out there in the marketplace. You can buy a 1Ds, if you shop, for $500. Spend the money you save on good glass.

The 1Ds Mark II is about the same price, or a bit cheaper, as the 5D II and quite cheaper than the D700. Its autofocus smokes both of those. (As do the original 1Ds and 1D models).

What you lose are some nice technical bells and whistles that some people now think are necessities: Good quality screen for chimping, auto ISO, great high-ISO shooting, auto-clean sensors. The original 1Ds is also very slow to write to the card. The batteries are huge.

There is a workmanlike charm to the big, heavy, nearly indestructible pro 1D-series bodies.

I bought an old 1Ds a while back and love it for landscape and portraits. The image quality is gorgeous. And for the money I didn't spend on a 5D II, I could have bought myself a new 16-35/2.8...

Anyway, it's a cheap way to see whether you like full frame.
12-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #40
Inactive Account

D700 is a total no brainer, if you value AF capabilities. I also love the way the sensor renders skin tones and have drastically reduced my overall PP with Nikon compared to when I shot Pentax - it just doesn't need fixing.

Flash use on Nikon is a complete godsend. I pair the D700 with a few SB700's and have no problem making a daytime shot look like it was taken at night.

I have a dedicated camera for video (which I rarely shoot anyway) and I'm not interested in working with massive file sizes like the Canon. 12MP is more than enough for canvasses and prints that I've done up to 30".

D800 doesn't interest me in the least. What I needed out of a camera was found in the D700. It's an incredible machine.

c[_]
12-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #41

Photos: Albums
I would get the D700 due to ergonomics, AF, and flash.
01-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
One thing that has been keeping me away from the Nikon are the Nikon colours! Yes, the camera feels very nice but IMHO the colours seem to be very cold and especially the skin colours and the colour of the blue sky seem unnatural to my eyes. Maybe itīs something that can be easily corrected in PP, but still itīs something that annoys me.

I guess Iīm just too used to the Pentax colours..
I agree completely about the colors. I'm really sensitive the the crazy green grass that comes out of the Nikons. Pentax has much nicer greens to my eyes anyway and I don't like having to do much color correction in post.

I like Canon's colors slightly more than Nikon, but agree with many others the Nikon ergonomics are better on the Nikon and Canon's I've tried.
01-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I agree completely about the colors. I'm really sensitive the the crazy green grass that comes out of the Nikons. Pentax has much nicer greens to my eyes anyway and I don't like having to do much color correction in post.

I like Canon's colors slightly more than Nikon, but agree with many others the Nikon ergonomics are better on the Nikon and Canon's I've tried.
Color rendition is easily fixable via color targets, it doesn't matter.
01-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've read comments about not liking Nikon EDIT: *colors* before too. Is there really such a difference also when shooting raw?

Last edited by Raffwal; 01-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.
01-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Color rendition is easily fixable via color targets, it doesn't matter.
I see that and similar time and time again, yet I also see forum posts of folks that are unable to do that with much fussing and fighting.

So say I wanted to make a D5000 files look like a Pentax K20d what would I need? Please list the software or other items I'd need and some general steps if you can.