Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Perhaps they weren't sure which execs would be in jail now and which wouldn't?
LMAO

seriously though I think they planned for CP+ in February as they are rumoured to have a pro m4/3 coming it may be a better venue. the CES show normally has a whack of P/S and not much else, PMA joining up with them is slowly changing that

01-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Here it is...and it IS weather-sealed!

New Gear: Olympus Tough TG-320 | Popular Photography

Jason
01-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Retro OM-style m4/3 coming.

Olympus Set to Announce Retro OM-styled Micro Four Thirds Camera

43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) "Oh My Goodness"! Olympus is coming big :)

Jason
01-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am still waiting for the OM-5 which was rumored 15 years ago.

01-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I am still waiting for the OM-5 which was rumored 15 years ago.
Now called the OMD with a wee sensor that performs so-so

Seriously though I loved the OM lineup so this will at a minimum be pleasing to my eyes (Rather have the Fuji though if Oly doesn't have a spectacular new sensor up their sleeves- which I doubt with their troubles)
01-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Now called the OMD with a wee sensor that performs so-so

Seriously though I loved the OM lineup so this will at a minimum be pleasing to my eyes (Rather have the Fuji though if Oly doesn't have a spectacular new sensor up their sleeves- which I doubt with their troubles)
It reads like the debut will be February 8 according to several sites, to include CNET.
A weatherized 16mp Pen that looks like the OMs of old (I have a -1n, -2n and two -10 models. The built in EVF should win hearts to it, many are turned off by the Pen's optional detachable VF. Probably won't get one for a while, but looking forward to reading reviews for it. Sounds promising, let's see what it can do.
01-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It will have lots of drool factor, I'll give it that.

Otherwise, it does not sound to be anything more than a G3 with metal body, IBIS and Oly JPG processing of colors.
Not a bad thing actually as the G3 is already very good, so with IBIS and OLY JPGs, its 'kick ass'
The EVF is not pushing the standards enough (1.44 million dots is the same as their EVF2 and the one on a G3). The ones on the A77 and NEX7 have set the standard of what EVF resolutions should be.

Not pushing the tech developments of m4/3 by much, but I can see it pushing m4/3 visibility and sales with this camera.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-18-2012 at 07:04 PM.
01-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #23
Banned

A weather-sealed MFT camera would be great. I keep complaining that Olympus and Panasonic aren't producing higher-end camera models. Hopefully this will change that.
01-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The new kitlens is out already and it is weathersealed. Really only a kitlens, but still.
Ha. I'd buy one, and hope for more weathersealed lenses. I'll see.
Meanwhile I acquiered a Samsung nx100&200 with 20-50, 20, 30, 50-200 and 85 (1.4 - an absolute strong monster) for less than a K-5 with da*50-135. Had some luck. Oh, and with two flashes. Small ones, though. But for free. Paid for by selling some Pentax stuff and a bit of savings.
So, with a weathersealed Oly I could sell all my Pentax stuff - don't thing I will do so - and have Samsung for quality and Oly for fun, loose a heap of weight (the 85mm is heavy, but still not as heavy combined with a nx body as a K-5 with da*50-135) and still have weathersealing on the run.
These days I carry three bodies with lens attached and find it of great ease. The use of primes has never been more comfortable. Today will be an outing with a k5, a nx200 and a e-p3. It is great to juggle systems.
01-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #25
Banned

Olympus counterattack: Super built OM camera coming on February 8!

You want let the glory to Fuji alone? Olympus is also going to make a super quality old-styled body but unlike Fuji they will take the inspiration form their own OM camera history (click here to see the OM cameras on eBay). I will give you all the specs and than you can start to discuss if that camera is really going to be the first “serious” or “pro” Micro Four Thirds camera.

Olympus OM-D specs:
16 Megapixel m43 sensor optimized for High Dynamic Range
ISO 200-25.800
Built-in 1.44 Million dot electronic viewfinder (placed in the middle of the body)
Five-axis image stabilizer in body.
packed with an GN10 flash.
FAST AF and 3D tracking
610.000 dots 3 inch OLED swivel screen
Weather sealed magnesium body in classic OM camera design
two kinds of leather style. black ones is more artificial, and silver ones is more natural.
Two dial button left and right beside central penta part,and another dial button side at release button.there have other one small button in left of release button.
Grip curve looks like Olympus E-P3,but this one continues to the bottom of camera,paste with leather.Leather has also paste at both side of lens mount.
Width 121mm, weighs 425g
Price: $1100
Worldwide shipment in late March

At a first glance it looks like the Olympus OM advantage over the X PRO 1 lies in: Built-in IS, weather sealed body, cheaper price, swivel screen, probably faster AF.
Fuji X PRO 1 advantages: Image quality, hybrid viewfinder.

Hot times!
Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | Olympus counterattack: Super built OM camera coming on February 8!
01-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) First Olympus OM-D leaked image!

If this has a good EVF, good sensor, manual focusing aids ala Sony and Ricoh... then I think I will take one and a 25/1.4.
01-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #27
Banned

the only thing I find really exciting about this, is that it may do two things: 1. further increase the amount of small compact high quality cameras, that utilize metal parts, and proper knobs, wheels, etc for the most essential settings. and 2. it may push Pentax to go back and look at some of its classic SLR's as a starting point for their own new camera. broadly speaking, if the is a hit for olympus, we may get a digital MX, LX, ME super, etc for ourselves. of course it will probably be disappointing to most, but id love a digital pentax built around a similar concept.
01-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
You want let the glory to Fuji alone? Olympus is also going to make a super quality old-styled body but unlike Fuji they will take the inspiration form their own OM camera history (click here to see the OM cameras on eBay). I will give you all the specs and than you can start to discuss if that camera is really going to be the first “serious” or “pro” Micro Four Thirds camera.

It's nice to see that Olympus is continuing their homage to the past. While Fuji has been headlining their retro style cams since the X100, people forget that Olympus started all this with the EP1 and its very similar styling to the Olympus Pens of old.

I just picked up an EPL1, 12mm f/2 and 20mm 1.7 lenses. The lenses are such a difference from the DSLR world and handle like jewels. Look forward to this new body. While I doubt I will be one of the first in line for the OM-D or whatever its called, I will be following it very closely.
01-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm with Taurus, not going to be the first in line, since I just picked up E-P1 with 17mm f2.8 and OVF kit, but will be watching what unfolds with this OMD...

New Fuji was on my "to buy list" but, for me personally, not having in-body IS, was pretty much a deal breaker, and the price point was over the top as well. I think that suggested/speculated price on the new Olympus is far more reasonable for my pocket, and I've tried 45mm f1.8 and 25mm f1.4 and loved them instantly...

Regards,
D
02-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster