Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I have heard that also.
The only issue is that Sigma has horrible quality control on their gear and getting one that focuses properly is like playing russian roulette. Their lenses are optically great (especially the 50 and 85) but it doesn't matter how good a lens is if it can't focus properly.

02-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience with Sigma gear isn't that bad. Ex- lenses seem to do quite well on Pentax bodies and at least in the US, if you need focux adjustment, you can send it off and get it back in a few days. It just seems like HSM works better on Nikon/Pentax bodies for some reason.
02-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #63
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The only issue is that Sigma has horrible quality control on their gear and getting one that focuses properly is like playing russian roulette. Their lenses are optically great (especially the 50 and 85) but it doesn't matter how good a lens is if it can't focus properly.
Just curious, is your opinion based on personal experience, or from what you've read/heard from others on the interweb? I've now owned quite a number of Sigma EX lenses and all have been great for me.

The only one I've ever returned was a Sigma 50 in Pentax mount. I switched to Nikon and the lens was still within my return window, so I swapped it for the same lens in Nikon.

c[_]
02-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Just curious, is your opinion based on personal experience, or from what you've read/heard from others on the interweb?
Both (having owned a few). The one Sigma lens I really liked was the 15-30, but then again if the AF was off on such a wide lens it probably would not have been noticeable. I also had the misfortune of owning a DP2; I had to go through three cameras (new) to get one that worked, and it died six months later.

02-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #65
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Both (having owned a few). The one Sigma lens I really liked was the 15-30, but then again if the AF was off on such a wide lens it probably would not have been noticeable. I also had the misfortune of owning a DP2; I had to go through three cameras (new) to get one that worked, and it died six months later.
That sucks about the DP2

What Sigma EX lenses did you have that had questionable quality?

c[_]