Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2024, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #6106
Pentaxian

(Panasonic GX80, Pentax DA*200/2.8 @ f/2.8, ISO12800, 1/200s, LRc Denoise)

02-10-2024, 09:25 AM   #6107
Pentaxian

I like the last photo better.
02-10-2024, 11:48 AM   #6108
Pentaxian

Regarding the OM SYSTEM 150-600mm f5-6.3 IS. A lens for people who find it expensive to buy a fast Olympus 150-400mm F4.5. Created under 4/3 Of course it would be lighter and more compact. The optical design has been slightly improved. As a result, it is almost as sharp and contrasty, focuses slower, darker, but cheaper. Let it be). What is the most important thing for a telephoto? Sharpness, it's all there. As for price and weight. Very tiring, again. You need to compare lenses of the same quality and aperture, and everything will be clear. I somehow decided to calculate a set of universal zoom f2.8, wide angle primes, standard f1.2 and portrait lens. Olympus and canon. All this was almost twice as heavy and almost twice as expensive. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/?. With the tele range it's even worse. Sometimes there is no comparison. Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS USM Lens, Maybe with this, well, probably yes, and the weight is the same and the price is nicer, again Full Frame. There the matrix is not noisy up to 12000 ISO. I almost realized what nonsense I wrote. Sorry.
02-10-2024, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #6109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shore spider on buttercup - G9 + Canon EF-S 55-250 STM + Raynox DCR-150...

(if you right-click and select open image in new tab, you can see a larger version)

Last edited by luftfluss; 02-13-2024 at 10:53 AM.
02-11-2024, 06:58 AM - 3 Likes   #6110
Pentaxian

Here´s a bit better exposure.. I edited those last two with my laptop in a dim living room:

Panasonic GX80, DA*200/2.8 @ f/2.8, ISO10000, 1/200s, LRc Denoise 45%- a bit too much for tiny MFT but still some noise left.. details suffer already)
02-12-2024, 05:46 PM   #6111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photons To Photos tested the Panny G9 II's sensor, and found a pretty hefty penalty in dynamic range when shooting with the electronic shutter.

02-19-2024, 09:01 PM - 4 Likes   #6112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Photons To Photos tested the Panny G9 II's sensor, and found a pretty hefty penalty in dynamic range when shooting with the electronic shutter.
How does it compare to the G9?

Walking hands

Checking the newest mural in town.
Lumix GM1 + Lumix 8/3.5 fish-eye

02-19-2024, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #6113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
How does it compare to the G9?
The original G9 seems to be very similar to the G9 II's mechanical shutter performance.

Some folks are questioning the measurements provided by Photons to Photos, though. What I've been reading is that maybe the problem is the combination of electronic shutter + high speed shooting mode, where the G9 II's "dual-gain" circuitry is bypassed in order to maintain fast burst rates. I haven't seen anyone put forth a definitive comparison, though.
02-21-2024, 06:25 PM   #6114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lucha Libre

Lumix GM1 + Oly 12/2
12mm f/3.2 1/250 ISO200

Old Church

Lumix GM1 + Oly 12/2
12mm f/2 1/50 ISO6400

02-23-2024, 06:15 PM   #6115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
The optical design has been slightly improved.
It's not the design that has been improved. OMS is using the exact same design. What they have done is improved the coatings and the glass used in the lens. For example, Sigma uses four FLD elements and two SLD. These are both a lower type of low dispersion glass, which Sigma uses to reduce the cost of the lens. OMS replaced the four FLD elements with Super ED elements and the two SLD with ED elements. There's likely other elements they've upgraded. Given that this lens has 25 elements in total, upgrading the glass to get the lens to perform to OMS and m43 standards (which are higher than Sigma standards) is going to significantly raise the price of the lens.

When OEMs use introduce these so-called "rebadges" into their lens lineups, there's always some element of upgrading involved, in large part because the OEMs have higher standards than companies like Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina and they're not going to sell lenses under their labels with inferior glass in them.
02-24-2024, 06:30 AM   #6116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
It's not the design that has been improved. OMS is using the exact same design. What they have done is improved the coatings and the glass used in the lens. For example, Sigma uses four FLD elements and two SLD. These are both a lower type of low dispersion glass, which Sigma uses to reduce the cost of the lens. OMS replaced the four FLD elements with Super ED elements and the two SLD with ED elements. There's likely other elements they've upgraded. Given that this lens has 25 elements in total, upgrading the glass to get the lens to perform to OMS and m43 standards (which are higher than Sigma standards) is going to significantly raise the price of the lens.

When OEMs use introduce these so-called "rebadges" into their lens lineups, there's always some element of upgrading involved, in large part because the OEMs have higher standards than companies like Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina and they're not going to sell lenses under their labels with inferior glass in them.
Very useful comment. Thank you. I didn't delve that deeply into the technical details. I only knew about some improvements. Your comment suggests that this is no longer Sigma, this is OM. They cannot cost the same. Quality control and materials are different. The optical design is the only thing that unites them. I've heard that even the type of glass makes a big difference. Two identical lenses, different image quality. Quality control also costs money.
02-26-2024, 08:45 AM   #6117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First review of the new OMS 150-600 I've seen that includes measurements: OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-600mm F5.0-6.3 IS Review | PCMag

QuoteQuote:
Pros

Extreme telephoto zoom for Micro Four Thirds
Optical stabilization supports handheld use
Adjustable zoom tension
Magnesium tripod collar with Arca foot
IPX1 splash protection

Cons

Expensive
Underwhelming sharpness through much of the range
Teleconverters compromise picture quality
02-26-2024, 02:14 PM   #6118
Pentaxian

First review of the new OMS 150-600 I've seen that includes measurements: OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-600mm F5.0-6.3 IS Review | PCMag
I read the review. I couldn't find full size sample images. Maybe I didn't search well. But I found sigma in reviews. If OM systems managed to improve the image in the 400-600 range, then super. You need to look at real pictures. For a micro, maximum sharpness at f8-11 is somehow not very good.

---------- Post added 02-27-24 at 12:17 AM ----------

A very interesting and useful observation. I always knew that there was something wrong with the electronic shutter).
02-26-2024, 09:14 PM   #6119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
I read the review. I couldn't find full size sample images. Maybe I didn't search well. But I found sigma in reviews. If OM systems managed to improve the image in the 400-600 range, then super. You need to look at real pictures. For a micro, maximum sharpness at f8-11 is somehow not very good.
The Sigma 150-600 F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports lens, which the OMS 150-600 is based on, fared much better in PCMag's review. Of course, these are singular samples.

When it comes to ascertaining the sharpness of a lens, I would prefer to view test results rather than images (although ideally both), because I don't always know the skill level and processing choices that went into the sample image. For things like bokeh, rendering, etc. of course I want to view "real pictures"

QuoteQuote:
A very interesting and useful observation. I always knew that there was something wrong with the electronic shutter).
With most cameras released over the last few years, there is usually only a small or nonexistent penalty for using electronic shutter. For example, here is the comparison of the Panny GH5 II...
Attached Images

02-28-2024, 04:24 AM   #6120
Pentaxian

The Sigma 150-600 F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports lens, which the OMS 150-600 is based on, fared much better in PCMag's review. Of course, these are singular samples.

When it comes to ascertaining the sharpness of a lens, I would prefer to view test results rather than images (although ideally both), because I don't always know the skill level and processing choices that went into the sample image. For things like bokeh, rendering, etc. of course I want to view "real pictures"

With most cameras released over the last few years, there is usually only a small or nonexistent penalty for using electronic shutter. For example, here is the comparison of the Panny GH5 II...
To be honest, I didn't see anything at all. There is nothing in this article that will help me form my own opinion. We have to wait. More reviews will appear. As for the electronic shutter. I love conspiracy theories. I came across amateur reviews that showed real pictures in the dark. This applied to Nikon mirrorless cameras. So, with the electronic shutter there was more noise, and overall the picture looked worse. There was something else, but I don’t remember anymore. So maybe they’re not telling us something? And in the case of G9 it turned out to be an annoying mistake). Don't take what I write seriously).