Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8140 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2019, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #2881
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Landscape_with_K1 Quote
Any other E-PL1 users around?
The E-PL1 was my first m43 camera, which I purchased back in 2012 for about $140 (new). It is a camera Olympus had to sell at a big discount (it was originally $550). I found the camera great color but produced rather noisy files, even at base ISO. Late in 2012 I converted the camera to an IR camera, in which capacity I have used it since.

Here's a "false color" infrared shot, using the Oly 17/1.8 lens:

Last edited by northcoastgreg; 11-17-2019 at 02:06 PM.
11-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #2882

Photos: Gallery
Can someone advice me with lenses - are e.g. Panasonic MFT lenses compatible with Olympus MFT?
11-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #2883
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can someone advice me with lenses - are e.g. Panasonic MFT lenses compatible with Olympus MFT?

Totally! I have both Pany & Oly bodies and lenses, and they interchange perfectly with the small exception of some special features, such a dual shake reduction or special focusing ability that is camera-body based. Example: Some Olympus bodies can focus-bracket and stack in the camera body, but only with a limited number of Oly lenses. My pany G9 will focus bracket with any lens, Pany or Oly, but it doesn't stack in the camera, you have to do it in PP.
11-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #2884
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
The E-PL1 was my first m43 camera, which I purchased back in 2012 for about $140 (new). It is a camera Olympus had to sell at a big discount (it was originally $550). I found the camera great color but produced rather noisy files, even at base ISO. Late in 2012 I converted the camera to an IR camera, in which capacity I have used it since.

Here's a "false color" infrared shot, using the Oly 17/1.8 lens:
Nice, I've thought about doing an IR conversion on a cheaper M4/3 body, how much did that cost?

11-18-2019, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #2885
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Nice, I've thought about doing an IR conversion on a cheaper M4/3 body, how much did that cost?
I seem to remember it cost $200, but that may have been a one time deal, and it was seven years ago. But I do remember that, at least at that time, conversions of mirrorless cameras cost less than conversions of DSLRs. On the plus side, because the E-PL1 focuses with its sensor, you don't have to worry about calibrating lenses or anything of that order. The IR raw images don't come out all that sharp, so a lot of sharpening has to be added in post, which can be challenging when combined with the E-PL1's noisy sensor.

Another IR image taken with Oly 17/1.8:

11-19-2019, 12:11 AM   #2886

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Totally! I have both Pany & Oly bodies and lenses, and they interchange perfectly with the small exception of some special features, such a dual shake reduction or special focusing ability that is camera-body based. Example: Some Olympus bodies can focus-bracket and stack in the camera body, but only with a limited number of Oly lenses. My pany G9 will focus bracket with any lens, Pany or Oly, but it doesn't stack in the camera, you have to do it in PP.
Good to know, thanks! I was thinking about making my E-PL1 into a pocketable family holiday camera but it turns out the lenses are quite expensive, especially pancake primes. (With Pentax, you get used to basic lenses being free on eBay). So I will have to do with the kit 14-42mm.
11-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #2887
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's also an issue with purple fringing when using Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies due to the lower amount of uv filtering on some Panasonic lenses. This happens because Panasonic uses a stronger filter in their sensor's covering glass than Olympus which adds stronger filtering to each lens. So when using the Panasonic lenses you run the risk of purple fringing unless you use a strong uv filter. Personally I've not seen a big problem with it but it can be shown to occur.

11-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #2888
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There's also an issue with purple fringing when using Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies due to the lower amount of uv filtering on some Panasonic lenses. This happens because Panasonic uses a stronger filter in their sensor's covering glass than Olympus which adds stronger filtering to each lens. So when using the Panasonic lenses you run the risk of purple fringing unless you use a strong uv filter. Personally I've not seen a big problem with it but it can be shown to occur.
Wow/ thanks for the info. I did not know that. It was a real toss up for me between the oly and the pany. I went with a DC-G9. Coupled with native lens you are supposed to get 6 stops worth of shake reduction. I also read were either Olympus or Panasonic has or is about to complete development of a 42mp sensor .... fascinating technology.
11-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #2889
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly I shoot a number of Panasonic lenses on a Oly em1 and I haven't noticed a problem. I have the 20mm f1.7 which is one of the worst offenders and it seems fine.
11-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #2890

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Been a long time since posting here because my K-5 and K20D are both out for servicing and have been put on hold due to parts backorder from Japan.. No choice but to keep shooting with my E-P2 (which I really like) and a borrowed Nikon set-up (D300 and some big zooms, which I really can't get used to).

Anyway, I recently got a K to M4/3 adapter that can control aperture so I can use my DA lenses (10-17 12-24, 17-50, 70-200 even!) on my E-P2.
I have just been thinking about buying a K to M4/3, what brand did you buy? Are you happy with the product so far?
11-19-2019, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #2891
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KieranCoughlan Quote
I have just been thinking about buying a K to M4/3, what brand did you buy? Are you happy with the product so far?
I use a Fotasy with aperture adjustment but that's hard to find. Here's one that's similar but maybe a bit cheaper? Pixco Lens Adapter for Adjust Aperture Lens Adapter Pentax A to Micro 4/3 M43 GH4 GM1 GX7 GF5 GH2 E-M5 E-PL6 Camera Adapter amazon.com : Pixco Lens Adapter for Adjust Aperture Lens Adapter Pentax A to Micro 4/3 M43 GH4 GM1 GX7 GF5 GH2 E-M5 E-PL6 Camera Adapter : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #2892

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I use a Fotasy with aperture adjustment but that's hard to find. Here's one that's similar but maybe a bit cheaper? Pixco Lens Adapter for Adjust Aperture Lens Adapter Pentax A to Micro 4/3 M43 GH4 GM1 GX7 GF5 GH2 E-M5 E-PL6 Camera Adapter amazon.com : Pixco Lens Adapter for Adjust Aperture Lens Adapter Pentax A to Micro 4/3 M43 GH4 GM1 GX7 GF5 GH2 E-M5 E-PL6 Camera Adapter : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Thank you 🤓
11-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #2893
Pentaxian

Another question about 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapters:

I got an Olympus e-500 a while ago mainly to use as a test bed for 4/3 lenses and accessories I buy and sell on eBay (a long story that began with me buying a dead camera with a good lens and trying to find a way to test the lens before selling it on). A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 14-42 Zuiko very cheaply, and was astonished when it arrived with an Olympus MMF-2 adapter attached. As it happens I'd been thinking of getting some sort of mirrorless camera, mostly for testing things like Leica-mount lenses, the main stumbling block was the cost of the actual lenses in this format - I needed a lens for it because I usually try to take pictures of the thing I'm selling with the same camera as the test shots so that I don't end up mixing up which shots go with which lens. The lens and adapter meant that I could look for a cheap body without worrying about lenses, and I ended up getting a Lumix GF2 for £20 on eBay UK.

If anyone doesn't know this lens, here's an album of shots with another on my e-500
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150868539@N02/albums/72157711164155762

Bearing in mind that my main use for both cameras is for testing lenses, and that I don't particularly want to use the e-500 for anything else, is there any reason why I shouldn't sell the e-500 on and use the Lumix with the adapter as my test body for 4/3 lenses?

And a question about the Lumix - is it supported by any tethering software, preferably for Mac? One other use I might have for it is photomicroscopy, but I'd really like to connect it to my laptop and use the live view to focus etc. on a bigger screen.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 11-22-2019 at 08:01 PM.
11-25-2019, 05:20 AM - 3 Likes   #2894
Pentaxian

Some from the weekend:

11-25-2019, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2895
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A woven thing intended for human repose. I can't quite call this a "chair" or "sofa" or "hammock" or "stool." I saw a young couple sharing one of these, and it did bring them closer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo