Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8130 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2020, 12:59 PM - 4 Likes   #3271
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Taken with the kit Pany 12-32. At 12mm, f/5.6, 1/13th.

10-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #3272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
M.Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 4-5.6 - E-PM1
That cheeky little thief!
10-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #3273
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That cheeky little thief!
Needless to say I just discarded this pumpkin to the garbage... the 3rd in less than the month is done.
10-27-2020, 02:16 AM   #3274
Pentaxian

M.Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 4-5.6 - E-PM1
You seem to have bought a lens, how are your impressions?

10-27-2020, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #3275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sumac. Pana GX8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
10-27-2020, 05:55 AM   #3276
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
You seem to have bought a lens, how are your impressions?
Hey Ivan, so, I've taken it out once (I just got it); true kit lense so it is not impressive, but quite capable.

Out of the box, felt like I was going to crush it with my hands from just grabbing it... true plastic everything! I have a 58mm metal hood, it just unbalances the whole thing... And lets not talk about using it at 150mm with the hood LOL.

I am pleased with how quick it is in good light, and how much more effective it makes the PEN camera (as it lacks a viewfinder). Shooting in Auto or semi-Auto = that is the reason I wanted the lens. It will be used mostly for family gatherings and such occasions were I want to get some shots but I do not have the time to set up my manual rig. I will try a few artsy shots here and there, but I am not loosing sleep in figuring out the small controls in the camera to set up my every shot.

So far, happy with the acquisition. I still need to push the lens a bit more to really get a feel for it; but I much doubt I'll be using it for more than point-and-shoot applications (and I am ok with that).
10-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #3277
Pentaxian

Hey Ivan, so, I've taken it out once (I just got it); true kit lense so it is not impressive, but quite capable.

Out of the box, felt like I was going to crush it with my hands from just grabbing it... true plastic everything! I have a 58mm metal hood, it just unbalances the whole thing... And lets not talk about using it at 150mm with the hood LOL.

I am pleased with how quick it is in good light, and how much more effective it makes the PEN camera (as it lacks a viewfinder). Shooting in Auto or semi-Auto = that is the reason I wanted the lens. It will be used mostly for family gatherings and such occasions were I want to get some shots but I do not have the time to set up my manual rig. I will try a few artsy shots here and there, but I am not loosing sleep in figuring out the small controls in the camera to set up my every shot.

So far, happy with the acquisition. I still need to push the lens a bit more to really get a feel for it; but I much doubt I'll be using it for more than point-and-shoot applications (and I am ok with that).
For get-togethers ... It might be dark. Advice if possible, use M mode with auto ISO. You can be guaranteed to use the maximum aperture and shutter speed within a reasonable range of 60-120, and even lower. If People will pose for you. Auto modes can have unpredictable results. Or the priority of aperture with a fixed iso, for the maximum that you can agree to. Fully open aperture. I hope I did not offend you with my advice. I would like to see raw files from this lens at different focal lengths. It is really very small and lightweight.

10-27-2020, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #3278
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL - I know what you mean. That lens doesn't inspire confidence in the build but it works fine. I had the Panasonic 35-100 (f4-5.6) and 45-175 f4-5.6 already so the Oly was an easy one to let go.

Quick to focus I assume is what you mean? Yes the lens is not slow to focus and it worked well enough. My main concerns:

1) Lack of a hood.
2) Size compared to 35-100
3) Range compared to 45-175
4) Build quality

None of those are deal breakers and I think if you got it for a good price you should just enjoy it. I would add a hood - maybe a nice rubber one if you can find one that size.

Finally - for what you are saying you will use it for I assume these are outdoor situations and you have a lot of distance - the lens should be good for that.
10-27-2020, 09:34 AM - 4 Likes   #3279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
For get-togethers ... It might be dark. Advice if possible, use M mode with auto ISO. You can be guaranteed to use the maximum aperture and shutter speed within a reasonable range of 60-120, and even lower. If People will pose for you. Auto modes can have unpredictable results. Or the priority of aperture with a fixed iso, for the maximum that you can agree to. Fully open aperture. I hope I did not offend you with my advice. I would like to see raw files from this lens at different focal lengths. It is really very small and lightweight.

Here's a few samples taken today; I went aperture priority to keep if fully open. No offense taken, always open to hear suggestions

It is not bad at all...

PS - I DM'd you re the RAW files

---------- Post added 10-27-20 at 12:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Quick to focus I assume is what you mean? Yes the lens is not slow to focus and it worked well enough. My main concerns:1) Lack of a hood.2) Size compared to 35-1003) Range compared to 45-1754) Build qualityNone of those are deal breakers and I think if you got it for a good price you should just enjoy it. I would add a hood - maybe a nice rubber one if you can find one that size.Finally - for what you are saying you will use it for I assume these are outdoor situations and you have a lot of distance - the lens should be good for that.

Quick to focus, yes

I do a lot of outdoor entertaining, so yes, that is the purpose... Also, while a bit long for "group" shots, I'm OK with this, I've never taken anything shorted of 50mm (crop sensor) to a gathering, and I've done well enough.

---------- Post added 10-27-20 at 12:55 PM ----------

I did mention it looks funny with the metal hood I have (OEM hood for my Super-tak 200/4)

Last edited by edom31; 10-27-2020 at 09:56 AM.
10-27-2020, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #3280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL - I love the hood. There's nothing wrong with using automatic exposure modes and aperture preferred is a good choice.
10-27-2020, 07:22 PM - 5 Likes   #3281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although the Pany G9 has really quick AF, at agility meets I still found I got more keepers by prefocusing in MF.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
10-28-2020, 10:32 AM - 5 Likes   #3282
Veteran Member

Got fairly inexpensive OM-D (M-10) recently, I had a few of them a while back but sold them, I guess I'm back in M4/3 game again.

Few test pics (somewhat edited) with Helios 44-2

Last edited by fiveseven; 10-28-2020 at 02:16 PM.
10-28-2020, 05:05 PM - 3 Likes   #3283
Veteran Member

10-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #3284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
dfa 28-105 adapted on the panasonic g95.
How do you control the aperture?
10-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #3285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
How do you control the aperture?
The adapter has a ring that moves the aperture lever. I've seen them called "Pentax DA to MFT" (or another mount), mine's a cheap $20 one and it works well enough for my occasional use. It doesn't give any markings and the throw is about 45 degrees, so it's guesswork how much you stop down.