Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8130 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2022, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #4561
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
If it wasn't for the quest for smaller and lighter, would you have kept the KP ? Is there anything game-changing to motivate the switch ? Assuming lenses of comparable quality on both systems
Game changing, I don't think so. There are lots of small differences but I don't think I've had the camera long enough to add them up yet. I would say at this point that the smaller, lighter, simpler is my main reason for switching. Over time I may come to view that differently but at the moment, no game changing difference.

02-21-2022, 03:40 PM   #4562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
AND, do not purchase less than exactly what you want. If you do, you'll be thinking all the time of what you could have had instead.

"Never" happens. :innocent:
02-21-2022, 03:42 PM   #4563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
There's always a bit of luck involved in these things. This particular bird lives in the neighborhood. I hear him all the time. But rarely does he come out where he had be seen.

Another bluejay, shot with same combo from inside the house:
Impressive even through glass.

I've had a time keeping my windows clear this winter.
02-21-2022, 08:47 PM   #4564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OMS OM-1 was being hyped as the "WOW" camera, but to me it is looking like the new Panasonic GH6 might be more deserving of the hype.

02-21-2022, 08:52 PM   #4565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The OMS OM-1 was being hyped as the "WOW" camera, but to me it is looking like the new Panasonic GH6 might be more deserving of the hype.
I agree but I might be biased because my first serious camera was a Lumix.
02-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #4566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
I agree but I might be biased because my first serious camera was a Lumix.
ON paper, at least, the GH6 looks more impressive than the OM-1, but for some folks the extra 1/2 pound of weight will be a non-starter.

The proof will be in the shooting. I'm looking forward to seeing what level of divergence in image quality we see between the 2 sensors.
02-22-2022, 04:55 AM - 5 Likes   #4567
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

E-M1 with Lumix G 20mm f1.7 ASPH II

02-22-2022, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #4568
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
You've posted other images of the knitted sox-in-progress here and there, usually including the hands at work (wife's?). That's a really pretty colored yarn being used, and obviously highly skilled hands doing the work. I always take time to marvel at the skill that goes into handiwork that I could not image doing myself..
02-22-2022, 05:56 AM   #4569
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

You've posted other images of the knitted sox-in-progress here and there, usually including the hands at work (wife's?). That's a really pretty colored yarn being used, and obviously highly skilled hands doing the work. I always take time to marvel at the skill that goes into handiwork that I could not image doing myself..
thank you - my wife is a skilled creator; whether with yarn or fabric, she's amazing...

I do not have the skill or patience to do what she does, but I am happy to document her work....
02-22-2022, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #4570
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
thank you - my wife is a skilled creator; whether with yarn or fabric, she's amazing...

I do not have the skill or patience to do what she does, but I am happy to document her work....

As a trivial aside, when I was a kid (believe it or not I was young once) I learned simple knitting - knit and pearl - just for fun, but I never managed more than a a square pot-holder with a checkerboard pattern (knit so many, then pearl the same number). It was too loosely knitted to serve its intended function despite the praise from my mother. Learning just a little bit of a manual task such as knitting gives you more appreciation for the skill of someone whose fingers fly without their owner seeming to think for a moment about what their hands are doing. I also tried simple carving - block of balsa wood and a set of Xacto knives. Ever since I've been in near disbelief at what so many sculptors have created from marble with just hammer and chisels.
02-22-2022, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #4571
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's the heart of winter here

E-M1 II and PZ 45-175. JPG.

Winter on the fields
by Aaron, on Flickr

Lake Simcoe
by Aaron, on Flickr
02-22-2022, 01:01 PM   #4572
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ON paper, at least, the GH6 looks more impressive than the OM-1,
The proof will be in the shooting. I'm looking forward to seeing what level of divergence in image quality we see between the 2 sensors.
The overviews are starting to appear, this one is by a "moving pictures" reviewer mainly.

Most of my M43 kit is Oly but complimented by a few Pana pieces.

All the top bodies these days start at 2000 U$,it will be interesting how the market reacts to these latest big 2.
02-22-2022, 03:26 PM   #4573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ON paper, at least, the GH6 looks more impressive than the OM-1, but for some folks the extra 1/2 pound of weight will be a non-starter.

The greater pixel count of the GH6 looks interesting, if it translates into better IQ (more lens than sensor limited?). The claimed 7.5 stop stabilization, if it is real rather than an advertising gimmick, is impressive. It implies that a 300mm lens could be safely hand-held down to a shutter speed of about 1/2 second. Sounds like a fairy tale. The extra weight is a bummer. The whole point of MFT is compactness and reduced weight, although the majority of weight reduction is in much smaller lenses with equivalent FOV of FF and APS-C lenses.

Panasonic seems to be concentrating on its FF digital cameras and some reviewers I've seen are calling the GH6 "the last and best Panasonic MFT camera."
02-22-2022, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #4574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The greater pixel count of the GH6 looks interesting, if it translates into better IQ (more lens than sensor limited?). The claimed 7.5 stop stabilization, if it is real rather than an advertising gimmick, is impressive. It implies that a 300mm lens could be safely hand-held down to a shutter speed of about 1/2 second. Sounds like a fairy tale. The extra weight is a bummer. The whole point of MFT is compactness and reduced weight, although the majority of weight reduction is in much smaller lenses with equivalent FOV of FF and APS-C lenses.
I can reliably do 1/2 sec with the kit lens at 60mm on my G9, so that's 5 stops. I'm confident I could do better with a somewhat larger, heavier lens.

QuoteQuote:
Panasonic seems to be concentrating on its FF digital cameras and some reviewers I've seen are calling the GH6 "the last and best Panasonic MFT camera."
Some Youtuber named Gerald Undone said that, IIRC. I think he was simply trying to generate clicks, but he certainly did generate talk. I could see a future where Panasonic no longer produces stills-oriented m4/3 cameras, though.
02-22-2022, 10:37 PM - 6 Likes   #4575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunday evening my coyote friend came by for a visit. A little bit earlier this time, I could see him (her?) walking through the woods, so I grabbed my G9 and, this time, Tamron Adaptall-2 400/4 and boogied over to the field.

We had several days of high winds here in NJ - "high winds" by our standards - so there was quite a bit of garbage strewn about, and my coyote seemed to find a few morsels therein.

Although it wasn't as dim compared with the evening before, it was still poor light: all my photos wound up being pushed to at least ISO 6400 equivalent, shooting mostly wide open. Pretty impressed by the detail the G9 retained despite all the sensor noise, and the Tamron 400/4's sharpness wide open was better than I expected given how demanding the small m4/3 sensor is.

The third shot was at f/4.5, the rest at f/4. #1, 2, 3, 5 all had minor or no crop, while #4 had 73% of the frame cropped away.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 

Last edited by luftfluss; 02-28-2022 at 10:08 PM.