Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8142 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2022, 11:42 AM   #4831
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as good as my M4/3 kit is, I'm thinking of selling it to fund a future project....

anybody else run into that and decided to keep the kit or sell it?

what pushed you in that direction?

05-14-2022, 02:15 PM   #4832
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
as good as my M4/3 kit is, I'm thinking of selling it to fund a future project....

Hmm, I've only had my m4/3 gear for 3 months, so perhaps I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I've been very satisfied with it, perhaps even a bit more than I anticipated. That said, I've been doing much less picture-making over the last half-year or so than in the past, and I've been divesting myself of much more gear than I've been acquiring.

Is there something you find lacking from a technical standpoint - DOF control, high-ISO performance, etc - or is it simply a case of "the thrill is gone"?
05-14-2022, 02:34 PM   #4833
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Hmm, I've only had my m4/3 gear for 3 months, so perhaps I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I've been very satisfied with it, perhaps even a bit more than I anticipated. That said, I've been doing much less picture-making over the last half-year or so than in the past, and I've been divesting myself of much more gear than I've been acquiring.

Is there something you find lacking from a technical standpoint - DOF control, high-ISO performance, etc - or is it simply a case of "the thrill is gone"?

I'm wondering if that honeymoon-phase is fading for me....

I have the E-M1, which is genuinely a sweetheart camera, but I find its images somewhat noisy (at higher ISO) and nothing I can't produce with my current range of Fuji/Pentax bodies...

I'm wondering if I simply am itching for more of a challenge in my photography and this isn't it....
05-14-2022, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #4834
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the E-M1, which is genuinely a sweetheart camera, but I find its images somewhat noisy (at higher ISO) and nothing I can't produce with my current range of Fuji/Pentax bodies...

I'm wondering if I simply am itching for more of a challenge in my photography and this isn't it....
Based on what you post here on PF, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to using the E-M1.

It seems to me that there are only a couple of obvious use cases where m4/3 has a leg up on other systems - you want the option of small gear, and you want a lot of "reach". And with the E-M1 you've pretty much duplicated your K-3 and X-H1... just like I did with the Panny G9 and Pentax K-3 II

Is your "future project" photography related?

05-14-2022, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #4835
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My honeymoon is just starting with micro4/3 with a G9 and an M1miii. I am very happy with both but my main interest is “urban wildlife” at a local preserve. In fact, I feel like I’m getting better results than I ever did with my Pentax gear. And at my age, I don’t plan to change camera systems again. At least I hope so, but then we all apparently like to experiment with different gear.
05-14-2022, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #4836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the shade

Last edited by Kiddo70; 02-27-2023 at 12:57 PM.
05-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #4837
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Based on what you post here on PF, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to using the E-M1.

It seems to me that there are only a couple of obvious use cases where m4/3 has a leg up on other systems - you want the option of small gear, and you want a lot of "reach". And with the E-M1 you've pretty much duplicated your K-3 and X-H1... just like I did with the Panny G9 and Pentax K-3 II

Is your "future project" photography related?

it is photography related, but possibly with a Foveon sensor...

05-14-2022, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #4838
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it is photography related, but possibly with a Foveon sensor...
05-14-2022, 08:17 PM - 2 Likes   #4839
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a difference an hour and an angle make...

(Sigma 56/1.4)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
05-15-2022, 03:20 AM - 5 Likes   #4840
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hornbill. Pany GX8 + Pan-Leica 100~400mm @ about 210mm. Re-post from several years ago.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
05-15-2022, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #4841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blue Dasher

Last edited by Kiddo70; 02-27-2023 at 12:57 PM.
05-15-2022, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #4842
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pany GX8 + Pan-Leica 100~400mm @ 200mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
05-15-2022, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #4843
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Technically, bit of a difference between E-M1 and current sensors, quite a bit better. I'm keeping mine (E-M1 II that I picked up for travel and have enjoyed). That said, the newer Panasonic sharpening and colour appearance appeals to me better than the Olympus. I haven't posted much recently from mine, but am still using it (today!). It prints well (I have a 13x19 printer) and posts well. I love the ergonomics/performance of the mid and larger size bodies - they just work. I do like the pixel shift, night modes and am looking at getting a 30 or 60 mm to use for focus stacking. Overall the sensor is adequate (not superb) for what I do and the metering and focus better than anything I had with Pentax. Depends if you like futzing with these features. Video is also important to me, the Olympus works really well with high quality. I love also that it is a nail driver and great for backpacking.

Lenses hold me. I love the 45mm Oly 1.8. Well recommended to you. I also have the Panasonic 15mm Leica, but have not enjoyed that as much as anticipated, the 12-60 Lumix kit lens is a good solution for me most of the time..

I did enjoy messing around with my Fuji system more (I still have my 23 and 14mm lenses but have not used them since selling my camera over a year ago), but I got to the point where I didn't enjoy using the body I had due to the ergonomics and EVF size. If I go back to Fuji it will be to a stabilized body with a large EVF.

I had a Foveon for a short while, liked the output, hated the processing - too time intensive for me. Since you use more jpg, you should be OK from that side. I'm considering picking up an A7RII with a 24mm FL for landscape work, but really Fuji or Pentax would be fine for me there.

Hopefully helpful.
05-15-2022, 12:14 PM   #4844
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Technically, bit of a difference between E-M1 and current sensors, quite a bit better. I'm keeping mine (E-M1 II that I picked up for travel and have enjoyed). That said, the newer Panasonic sharpening and colour appearance appeals to me better than the Olympus. I haven't posted much recently from mine, but am still using it (today!). It prints well (I have a 13x19 printer) and posts well. I love the ergonomics/performance of the mid and larger size bodies - they just work. I do like the pixel shift, night modes and am looking at getting a 30 or 60 mm to use for focus stacking. Overall the sensor is adequate (not superb) for what I do and the metering and focus better than anything I had with Pentax. Depends if you like futzing with these features. Video is also important to me, the Olympus works really well with high quality. I love also that it is a nail driver and great for backpacking.

Lenses hold me. I love the 45mm Oly 1.8. Well recommended to you. I also have the Panasonic 15mm Leica, but have not enjoyed that as much as anticipated, the 12-60 Lumix kit lens is a good solution for me most of the time..

I did enjoy messing around with my Fuji system more (I still have my 23 and 14mm lenses but have not used them since selling my camera over a year ago), but I got to the point where I didn't enjoy using the body I had due to the ergonomics and EVF size. If I go back to Fuji it will be to a stabilized body with a large EVF.

I had a Foveon for a short while, liked the output, hated the processing - too time intensive for me. Since you use more jpg, you should be OK from that side. I'm considering picking up an A7RII with a 24mm FL for landscape work, but really Fuji or Pentax would be fine for me there.

Hopefully helpful.
thank you...

my entire kit is listed for sale in the Marketplace....
05-15-2022, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #4845
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
thank you...

my entire kit is listed for sale in the Marketplace....
All the best with the sale!