Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2022, 06:21 PM - 3 Likes   #5116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm getting tempted by the Olympus 12-45 and 40-150, but the Panasonic 12-60 and 45-175 are standing in well (Olympus JPGs just working as well). Travels:

Heading for the hills
by Aaron, on Flickr

Winter landforms
by Aaron, on Flickr

08-10-2022, 02:44 AM   #5117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I was interested in the very oldest buildings, a farmstead whose oldest structure dates from about 1650. My wife on the other hand, was very taken by the most modern farm area, from 1940~50 because much of the layout, buildings and equipment was much the same as what she grew up with (her father ran a Jersey cow heard). She was especially struck by a tractor identical to one her father used. That tractor was still in use when I visited her parents to become acquainted after M and I agreed to marry. In fact I drove it to bring in hay, the one agricultural activity her father still pursued. He had sold the milk cows by the time I arrived, but still cut and baled hay which he sold. He later gave up cutting hay and rented the land to a strawberry-raising enterprise.
We also have something similar. I will not give a direct link, so as not to be mistaken for advertising. The oldest building dates from the first half of the 16th century. I had a lot of fun with this park. I go there regularly, but without a camera. There is a reason to correct the situation. Something that echoes the history of the family is doubly impressive. https://www.google.com/search?q=THE+ETHNOGRAPHIC+OPEN-AIR+MUSEUM+OF+LATVIA&o...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by Ivan; 08-10-2022 at 02:53 AM.
08-10-2022, 02:58 AM   #5118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
We also have something similar. I will not give a direct link, so as not to be mistaken for advertising. The oldest building dates from the first half of the 16th century. I had a lot of fun with this park. I go there regularly, but without a camera. There is a reason to correct the situation. Something that echoes the history of the family is doubly impressive. THE ETHNOGRAPHIC OPEN-AIR MUSEUM OF LATVIA - Google Search

I went through the images of buildings in that park in the Wikipedia article. The most interesting to me were the very large tavern, much larger than any other building, and the tiny little "Russian" Church = presumably Eastern Orthodox church.
08-10-2022, 12:59 PM - 7 Likes   #5119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Black bear/Pink salmon
OM-1 150-400 @150

08-10-2022, 02:54 PM   #5120
Pentaxian

So, a question for you M4/3 guys and gals... how pocketable is an Olympus Pen + pancake lens? For jeans pockets and cargo shorts pockets. I've been looking at compacts but I could get one of those old 12MP bodies (E-P, E-PL, E-PM) + a pancake for cheaper than most capable compacts, even in the used market... and while not the latest and greatest, it would still give me great snaps when it's not practical to carry a DSLR around my neck.

I'm talking about carrying the body + lens attached... I can already carry a K-S1 and the HD DA 18-50 (or HD DA 21) on separate cargo pants pockets, but it's a bit of a hassle to have to put the camera + lens together for any picture I want to take, and then apart again when I'm done...
08-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #5121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So, a question for you M4/3 guys and gals... how pocketable is an Olympus Pen + pancake lens? For jeans pockets and cargo shorts pockets. I've been looking at compacts but I could get one of those old 12MP bodies (E-P, E-PL, E-PM) + a pancake for cheaper than most capable compacts, even in the used market... and while not the latest and greatest, it would still give me great snaps when it's not practical to carry a DSLR around my neck.

I'm talking about carrying the body + lens attached... I can already carry a K-S1 and the HD DA 18-50 (or HD DA 21) on separate cargo pants pockets, but it's a bit of a hassle to have to put the camera + lens together for any picture I want to take, and then apart again when I'm done...
I suspect one of those bodies with a pancake lens would fit a cargo-pant pocket, BUT, I strongly recommend looking at a Sony RX100m6. It's a bit pricey and the lens is not good good in low light, but the 1" 20mp sensor and the excellent 24~200mm FF equivalent lens deliver amazing IQ for such a tiny camera. I've posted numerous images on PF taken with this little jewel of a camera.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC RX100 VI review: Digital Photography Review
08-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #5122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I suspect one of those bodies with a pancake lens would fit a cargo-pant pocket, BUT, I strongly recommend looking at a Sony RX100m6. It's a bit pricey and the lens is not good good in low light, but the 1" 20mp sensor and the excellent 24~200mm FF equivalent lens deliver amazing IQ for such a tiny camera. I've posted numerous images on PF taken with this little jewel of a camera.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC RX100 VI review: Digital Photography Review
Thanks for the suggestion but that is way out of my league... I'm talking about a 60 dollar E-PL1 kind of thing, with a 100 or so dollar pancake lens...

08-10-2022, 05:38 PM   #5123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the suggestion but that is way out of my league... I'm talking about a 60 dollar E-PL1 kind of thing, with a 100 or so dollar pancake lens...
It's jacket pocketable, but (EPL1 and 17mm) just a bit big in my experience for a cargo pocket. I'd also suggest looking for a second hand Ricoh GR "classic" if that FL works. Definitely pocketable (clean your pockets...). The GM1 and the 17mm Olympus (F2.8) or panasonic 20mm will fit the bill.
08-10-2022, 06:15 PM   #5124
Pentaxian

The GM1 sounds like it would fit the bill, but still costs quite a bit. I'm guessing something like the E-PM1 would be about the same size in practice...
08-10-2022, 08:05 PM   #5125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The GM1 sounds like it would fit the bill, but still costs quite a bit. I'm guessing something like the E-PM1 would be about the same size in practice...
Yes, effectively the same, probably better colours too. I gave my GM1 away to another PF member a few years ago, still have my GM5. The 12-32mm zoom or 14-42 EZ may also be good lens options for you.

Edit: the Panasonic gx000 series might be also worth checking.
08-11-2022, 12:18 AM   #5126
Pentaxian

Don't forget Panasonic cameras are many without stabilization. 17mm f2.8 is small and versatile.
08-11-2022, 06:26 AM   #5127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Edit: the Panasonic gx000 series might be also worth checking.
Size wise with a pancake lens maybe. They do have IBIS and lens stabilization. But the price range is probably out of bounds.
08-11-2022, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #5128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my favorite subjects

Last edited by Kiddo70; 07-17-2023 at 09:00 AM.
08-11-2022, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #5129
Pentaxian

I'm talking about a 60 dollar E-PL1 kind of thing
There's a very good reason why the E-PL1 goes for $60. It may be the cheapest ILC ever made. Whether it fits into a cargo pocket is irrelevant. I don't think the camera's durable enough to be carried that way. The LCD screen is a bit on the fragile side. I got a crack in mine just from carrying it around my neck. And it's 12 MP sensor is astonishingly noisy --- seemingly more so than the sensors typically found in cell phones. It does, to be fair, produce amazingly beautiful colors. But that's about all that can be said for it. Olympus tried to sell it new at $549, and at that price they had very few takers. I ended up buying mine for $130. Eight months later, Olympus was still trying to get rid of them. Does that mean that the camera isn't worth $60? No, that's it a fair price for the device. But it's not a camera for carrying in cargo pants. It's just too fragile for that.

With an EM-5ii + Oly 100-400:

08-11-2022, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #5130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Almost obscured

Last edited by Kiddo70; 07-17-2023 at 09:00 AM.