Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Leica has introduced another way of avoiding colour moiré that doesn't need an AA filter.

07-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
D800E in the studio

Just a little still shot in the studio ...

(please, click for full resolution image)

The image is nothing special. But I still think it shows stunning detail (e.g., look at the peaches' hairs).

I compared this shot with what I can get from a Nokia 808 Pureview cell phone camera. It's actually amazingly close. The full story and Making-Of is found here:

-> Falk Lumo: The iCamera (Nokia 808 Pureview) Part II: In the studio ;)
07-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Which lens did you use on the D800E for this shot falk?
07-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Which lens did you use on the D800E for this shot falk?
It's in the EXIFs: 24-70/2.8G at 28mm f/8 in order to match the 808's equivalent setting.

Using the D800E alone, I would have tried to get more DoF. But aperture is not something you can control with the 808. Sure, a large format camera with tilted focal plane, or focus stacking, would have been in order here. But the shot wasn't meant for sale

Last edited by falconeye; 07-25-2012 at 05:42 PM.
07-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #155
Veteran Member

I didn't DL the file so I never checked the EXIF.. I usually do things like that but for some reason just didn't this time. I've been waiting to test the Tamron 24-70 before deciding what to buy in that focal range. The few shots I took with a 24-70 I borrowed (from a guy standing next to my in a camera store) are not worthy of using to judge that lens. But as I really do need VR (I drink too much coffee) I thought I'd wait and see what the Tamron offered ;-)
07-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I compared this shot with what I can get from a Nokia 808 Pureview cell phone camera. It's actually amazingly close.
I agree in terms of resolution (there is a big difference, but I agree it isn't as big as one may have thought).

In terms of colours and tonal gradation I think there is no contest.

Some of the differences are down to different processing, but the small sensor image has visibly less dynamic range (surprise, surprise) and features less smooth gradation. The small sensor image does not look bad, but in comparison to the big sensor image it screams "digital".

I do not think this effect -- which I observed before when comparing different formats -- can only be explained by differences in colour depth.
07-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
In terms of colours and tonal gradation I think there is no contest.
I agree from the looks of it.

But I refrain from judging if such differences are fundamental or due to post-processing. This would require a careful examination which I did not have the time to do.

I agree with your statement when applied to results out of the box though. Which may partly be due to the fact that the 808 produces JPG only and that I had to spread the histogram to remove some effect from the 808's missing lens hood.

The main reason I showed the image above was that I actually liked the D800E's output very much. The 100% view really doesn't look crop at all, very medium-format like. An impossible goal for the cell phone

07-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #158
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
(click for original, source: Na prvi pogled... Nikon D800/D800E )

I'd say, from a pure technical point of view, this quality is in one league with medium format.

I link it here because there aren't many samples of the E yet.
Girls should not be shot with such level of detalisation! -1 for that camera.