Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
What advantages would I be getting at 36 megapixels that would offset the large files?
This depends on your personal style. Many styles don't need that high a resolution.

I am actually addicted to highest resolution studio shots. But another consideration is that my crop lenses keep their full resolution and that with a more accurate AF. Of course, the latter argument would apply to a Pentax FF more than a Nikon or Sony

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I do have a question for Falk, I always respect his opinions and expertise. For average printing within the range of 16MP which do you think might give better results...within that range. The new 36MP sensors or even 24MP sensors or the new Fuji 16MP sensor with no AA filter?
It really depends what is average. For average printing, there may not be any difference anyway. So, assume you print large enough to fully exploit ~20MP, i.e., DIN A2+ size at least (240dpi 16" x 24"), i.e., you have something like the Epson 3800.

At low ISO, sharpening really recovers every extra blur added by the AA filter. Assuming you don't have too much blur from other sources (lens, focus, motion blur etc.). In such situations, effective resolution will be lower than 16MP as would be from the Fuju sensor too -- with an advantage for the Fuji. The same holds true at high ISO where 100% sharpening is not really advised.

So, under ideal circumstances (e.g., in the studio), K-5 and Fuji w/o AA resolve the same (K-5 needs more sharpening, Fuji needs extra treatment of color Moiré artifacts). A 24MP would be just a tad sharper here.

In less than ideal circumstances, Fuji and a 24MP camera with AA filter probably have comparable resolutions after post processing. A 36MP would still be ahead of both, esp. as the D800E variant is expected to have no AA filter too.

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I like the 36MP but with a leaked price of 4,000 Euros it doesn't have the price appeal of the previous Sony FF
Oh, this high?
If the rumored prices of the D800 turn out to be correct (MSRP $4000, €3000), I assume A99 goes for €3000 too. We'll have to await street prices.

QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
As for the D800:

I'd like the D800 to have a small form factor and a price closer to 2000.
I agree.
But let's wait and see. The D800 is said to be a tad smaller than D700, with the vertical grip being separate. So, no D3/D4 monsters. And the MSRP of $4000 could quickly turn into a street price below $3000. There was that Texas online shop rumor offering D800 preorders at $2700 ...

01-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Is everyone making poster sized prints now? I'm just not understanding how you will see the difference between a 16 megapixel sensor at say 11 x 14 and a 36 megapixel sensor. Maybe there is, I haven't tried one. My printer won't even print larger than 13 x19.
01-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

At $2700 I would buy the D800 even with the large files. I read it was going to be $3500 so that was a wait until next year thing.

On the megapixel race, I always shoot outdoors, never use a flash, ect. So I probably don't need it, but if it's smaller and lighter than the D700 that's worth a lot to me. I just got back from hiking with my dogs this AM with that camera and the 24-70. That combo feels like it weighs a ton after a couple of hours.

Thanks for your input. I wasn't sure about that. All my Nikon lenses are FF. I use a lot AI-S lenses (20, 28, 50, 200) in addition a few FX formatted auto focus ones (24, 35, 85, 105 and that ridiculous sized zoom).
01-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just got back from hiking with my dogs this AM with that camera and the 24-70. That combo feels like it weighs a ton after a couple of hours.
Very true. I think currently nothing beats my K-5 with a DA* 60-250 (or a Limited) when on a hike. But a D800 could be nice in some other situations.

01-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Very true. I think currently nothing beats my K-5 with a DA* 60-250 (or a Limited) when on a hike. But a D800 could be nice in some other situations.
Trust me if I had to do that one all over again I would pass on it. I just have to force myself to use it. I have a feeling it's going up for sale soon.
01-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the reply Falk......I like to be informed, even though I am not in the same league as most here. I could be pretty well satisfied with nothing but my little x10 for most all of what I shoot, but I do like to have more reach and more resolution for certain circumstances. The K5 has pleased me greatly.......the X-Pro.......? Maybe I will, I do want to get back to portrait shooting....part of that question will hang on just how good those Fuji lenses turn out to be. We don't have to wonder about or Ltd's, do we!

Regards!
01-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I would not be surprised to find out Sony is testing more that one sensor right now. 32MP would be plenty and if they can do away with the AA filter it would really be a awesome performer. I don't see any reason to break the 40MP barrier with a camera right now.

01-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I do have a question for Falc, I always respect his opinions and expertise. For average printing within the range of 16MP which do you think might give better results...within that range. The new 36MP sensors or even 24MP sensors or the new Fuji 16MP sensor with no AA filter? I realize this would be mostly speculation, but I viewed some X-Pro low light 3200 and 6400 shots last night and they were spectacular.)
I probably (definitely) do not have nearly as much experience as Falc, I feel I have some insight into this. My dad has a Nikon D80 with a 10MP sensor (I think, might be a 12MP sensor). He routinely prints large 36x40 canvas prints. They look great, and I am fairly picky. The truth is that some of the interpolation software you can purchase for these printers is fabulous. Yeah, I know it is not real resolution, but it is hard to tell the difference unless you closely examine the print. Of course you want a sharp photo (no camera shake), a good lens, and a decently low ISO setting.

I could see a sensor with more that 12MP being better due to the ability to crop more (16-24 might be nice). However, for most people (and even most pros) an old DSLR will provide enough resolution (at least at low ISO settings). This isn't to say that there is not a niche group who needs the larger resolution. I believe this camera will appeal to the same audience who were interested in medium format cameras.

I think in most situations you would find the difference between the 36MP, 24MP, and 16MP prints a wash (as long as you are printing correctly).

Cheers.
01-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #24
Pentaxian

What advantages would I be getting at 36 megapixels that would offset the large files?
  1. Your crop lenses still shoot at 16MP.
  2. You get a free (and optimal) 1.5x TC (compared to 16MP) and/or more cropping potential, when you see an "image within an image".
  3. You can do macrops (macro shots that are done with a non-macro lens, achieving the magnification through cropping).
  4. You need less shots for stitching panoramas (for a given resolution).
  5. The AA filter can be made weaker (compared to lower resolutions).
  6. Image noise is finer-grained.
I guess the list could be extended.

I'm dreading the thought of Lightroom chewing through such large files, but maybe it struggles more with larger display sizes compared to larger RAW files.

Last edited by Class A; 03-29-2012 at 03:21 PM.
01-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
  1. Your crop lenses still shot at 16MP.
  2. You get a free (and optimal) 1.5x TC (compared to 16MP) and/or more cropping potential, when you see an "image within an image".
  3. You can do macrops (macro shots that are done with a non-macro lens, achieving the magnification through cropping).
  4. You need less shots for stitching panoramas (for a given resolution).
I guess the list could be extended.

I'm dreading the thought of Lightroom chewing through such large files, but maybe it struggles more with larger display sizes compared to larger RAW files.
That's what I would dread. I have an IMAC and I bet it would struggle. However #5 and #6 would be a big plus. I don't have any APSC lenses for Nikon. I've never done a panorama. I don't think I can with my printer. Anyway, I just don't have that kind of patience in front of the compuuter.
01-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've never done a panorama. I don't think I can with my printer. Anyway, I just don't have that kind of patience in front of the compuuter.
It's OT, but ...
Panorama stitching with e.g., three 16MP photos using Autopano Pro is rather fast and (almost) automatic. Just make sure you have enough main memory. Sometimes, I don't even put my wide angle. Taking three photos is easier ... Things start to slow down if you exceed 100MP though ...
01-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It's OT, but ...
Panorama stitching with e.g., three 16MP photos using Autopano Pro is rather fast and (almost) automatic. Just make sure you have enough main memory. Sometimes, I don't even put my wide angle. Taking three photos is easier ... Things start to slow down if you exceed 100MP though ...
Thanks. You know I'm going to look into that. The college I work is closed for a week in March. I'm taking the dogs camping and will be doing a lot of outdoor shooting. That might be something interesting to try. I'll have a couple of days when I get back to try it out on the computer. The software is Autopano Pro?

I'm kind of worried about the trip. My newest rescue dog was abandoned at a State Park. It took me two weeks to catch her. She's just 1 year old and is quite the hunter so I have to keep my eye on her. Her nose gets in the way of her brain and ears a good bit. She's gotten better.

Thanks so much for the information!!!! I actually love the panorama shots I've seen.
01-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Microsoft ICE is also a very easy to use but powerful (and free) panorama tool.

I have also had good results with Hugin.
01-31-2012, 06:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
microsoft ice is also a very easy to use but powerful (and free) panorama tool.

I have also had good results with hugin.
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #30

Thanks. You know I'm going to look into that. The college I work is closed for a week in March. I'm taking the dogs camping and will be doing a lot of outdoor shooting. That might be something interesting to try. I'll have a couple of days when I get back to try it out on the computer. The software is Autopano Pro?

I'm kind of worried about the trip. My newest rescue dog was abandoned at a State Park. It took me two weeks to catch her. She's just 1 year old and is quite the hunter so I have to keep my eye on her. Her nose gets in the way of her brain and ears a good bit. She's gotten better.

Thanks so much for the information!!!! I actually love the panorama shots I've seen.
Not only can you shoot a panorama to give you a wider angle of view for landscapes but you can also use it to give you a wide angle with a shallow depth of field look.

Very curious to see what Nikon announces/confirms regarding the D800!