Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P&S replacement for K-x (have to sell it)

But as a college student who is getting ever poorer, I may have to sell my Kx and all related gear to get money for gas and cell phone bill.

But was wondering what would be a decent/suitable point and shoot replacement that is (hopefully) still a Pentax? or depending on the price/specs/etc it could also be from CaNikon SonyLympus too.

Thanks.

NOTE: I DON't have to sell it YET, if and when I do it will be relatively soon.

Last edited by CTR01; 01-29-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Clarification
01-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm going to move your thread to the P&S section and change the title to something more suitable. Sorry to hear you have to sell your K-x!

IMO Pentax point-and-shoots are behind the competition. Here's a great Sony for under $200:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX9 Digital Camera (Black) DSCWX9/B B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm going to move your thread to the P&S section and change the title to something more suitable. Sorry to hear you have to sell your K-x!

IMO Pentax point-and-shoots are behind the competition. Here's a great Sony for under $200:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX9 Digital Camera (Black) DSCWX9/B B&H
Thanks Adam for the info. That looks pretty good.

Hopefully, things will come through for me so that I won't have to sell it all.

But in case I have to sell my stuff I just wanna have a back up ready.
01-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Canon Powershot S95 is a very decent P&S - and has RAW support, and Lightroom, DXO etc know how to get the most out of it's RAW files. Also since it has been replaced by the newer S100, prices should be very good for the S95.

01-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

Edit: thanks again for the suggestion but prices for the s95 on amazon are well...out of my range should I have to sell my gear.
01-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sadly, you will most likely take a beating selling your current gear. If you cant afford the S95, the S90 is 95% the same camera and probably much much less nowadays. Also, the Panasonic Lumix LX3 and LX5 are also up there among the best P&S models, the LX3 being a bargain now.

Jason
01-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Sadly, you will most likely take a beating selling your current gear. If you cant afford the S95, the S90 is 95% the same camera and probably much much less nowadays. Also, the Panasonic Lumix LX3 and LX5 are also up there among the best P&S models, the LX3 being a bargain now.

Jason
Yeah this much I already knew, which is why I'm dreading having to sell my gear. Thanks for the additional recommendations.

01-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Selling a camera for realistically not much, then buying a replacement P&S for about 1/2 as much makes no sense.
01-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Selling a camera for realistically not much, then buying a replacement P&S for about 1/2 as much makes no sense.
you obviously didn't read the post and the part that says "Kx and all related gear" and then if you proceeded to my profile page you would see all my other gear that would also be sold. And actually there are some places where the white Kx in good or better condition sell for at least how much I got it for and then plus all the other gear so yeah...
02-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get any of the 7mp-ish Canon Powershots with manual controls that are compatible with the CHDK hack. A lot of them can be gotten for under $100, especially used.

Together with a tripod and a lot of research on technique, you can accomplish most photographic tasks with final file quality equal to or superior to what you'd get from a single handheld frame from your K-x. Stitching, supersampling, competent HDR, exposure-stacking NR... and all of it can be accomplished via free open-source software if you're willing to put up with their non-mainstreamness. RAWTherapee, GIMP, etc. Not quite Adobe, but they'll do the job. And of course once you can afford an SLR again, you can use all the same tricks to take already-great SLR output up into MF file territory.

Along with that you gain some interesting tricks like motion-detection photography (useful for wildlife camera traps or lightning photography), time lapse photography, extreme shutter speeds (often with flash syncing available, opening the door to some crazy strobist stuff), precision battery meter, and even useless junk like an on-camera calendar, calculator, and games.

As far as I'm concerned, you'll get greater capability spending $50 on a used A570 and a bit of spare time on getting the most out of it (thanks to CHDK) than you will by spending your money on a $200 Sony compact or even a high-end S100 or LX5. Think about it.
02-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What are you willing to spend on a compact as a replacement and do you have a certain size preference? Are you willing to buy used? It would save you money tremendously if you did. I see a used S95 on FredMiranda right now for $240 and an S90 for $165. If you prefer Panasonics, the LX5's seem to come and go anywhere from $250 to $290. If I were looking, it would probably be at those specific models. The other ones i'd consider (i.e. Olympus XZ-1, Fuji X100) are too expensive, quite often at DSLR pricing.

BTW, I used to own an S95 and it was a nice little camera. Probably the only one that can fit in your pant pockets out of the ones I've listed. Regretfully it was stolen when my car was broken into. I also owned an LX5 which was recently sold. Fun camera as well, especially if you like doing strobist stuff. I had a lot of fun sticking a wireless trigger in the hotshoe or even using big flashes. It looked ridiculous, but it was awesome to sync at 1/1000s or higher.
02-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CTR01 Quote
you obviously didn't read the post and the part that says "Kx and all related gear" and then if you proceeded to my profile page you would see all my other gear that would also be sold. And actually there are some places where the white Kx in good or better condition sell for at least how much I got it for and then plus all the other gear so yeah...
I read it. Most people put the info in their sig so we don't have to look at your profile. I assumed you had a kit lens and UV filter. Good luck :-)
02-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Get any of the 7mp-ish Canon Powershots with manual controls that are compatible with the CHDK hack. A lot of them can be gotten for under $100, especially used.

Together with a tripod and a lot of research on technique, you can accomplish most photographic tasks with final file quality equal to or superior to what you'd get from a single handheld frame from your K-x. Stitching, supersampling, competent HDR, exposure-stacking NR... and all of it can be accomplished via free open-source software if you're willing to put up with their non-mainstreamness. RAWTherapee, GIMP, etc. Not quite Adobe, but they'll do the job. And of course once you can afford an SLR again, you can use all the same tricks to take already-great SLR output up into MF file territory.

Along with that you gain some interesting tricks like motion-detection photography (useful for wildlife camera traps or lightning photography), time lapse photography, extreme shutter speeds (often with flash syncing available, opening the door to some crazy strobist stuff), precision battery meter, and even useless junk like an on-camera calendar, calculator, and games.

As far as I'm concerned, you'll get greater capability spending $50 on a used A570 and a bit of spare time on getting the most out of it (thanks to CHDK) than you will by spending your money on a $200 Sony compact or even a high-end S100 or LX5. Think about it.
Wow thanks for all this information, I will definitely review/consider all of this in the future...assuming I have to sell my stuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
What are you willing to spend on a compact as a replacement and do you have a certain size preference? Are you willing to buy used? It would save you money tremendously if you did. I see a used S95 on FredMiranda right now for $240 and an S90 for $165. If you prefer Panasonics, the LX5's seem to come and go anywhere from $250 to $290. If I were looking, it would probably be at those specific models. The other ones i'd consider (i.e. Olympus XZ-1, Fuji X100) are too expensive, quite often at DSLR pricing.

BTW, I used to own an S95 and it was a nice little camera. Probably the only one that can fit in your pant pockets out of the ones I've listed. Regretfully it was stolen when my car was broken into. I also owned an LX5 which was recently sold. Fun camera as well, especially if you like doing strobist stuff. I had a lot of fun sticking a wireless trigger in the hotshoe or even using big flashes. It looked ridiculous, but it was awesome to sync at 1/1000s or higher.
I am willing to buy used but usually like to buy used things in very good to like new conditions. At most I would probably spend $200 but obviously less would be better. Thanks for the info.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I read it. Most people put the info in their sig so we don't have to look at your profile. I assumed you had a kit lens and UV filter. Good luck :-)
Fair enough, just never got around to that yet I guess. Thanks.
PS: Does my signature look better now?