Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

NEX-5N electronic viewfinder

I am thinking of getting this to go with my Sony, but wanted to hear some opinions from those who have owned or do own this accessory for the 5N.

Worth the $$$?
Better than composing through the screen only?
Any negatives?

Thanks,

Jason

01-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have one. It is worth it to me. I find some things just easier to do with a viewfinder than with a LCD screen. While using the camera at waist level is cool, sometimes you just need the camera to be at eye level to get the shot and that's just easier to do with a viewfinder. Unlike a OVF, the EVF adjusts levels so you can see the scene. This allows stop down metering/focusing to work really well with legacy lenses.

Negatives? Cost. It's a big lump on the top of the camera, though that doesn't bother me. Can't use a flash and the EVF at the same time (though that isn't the EVFs fault).

Want an easy way to decide if you need one? Shoot live view on your dslr exclusively for a couple of days. If you can live with that (realizing that the LCD on Pentax bodies doesn't move) you probably don't need the EVF for the 5N.

hth, YMMV
01-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, worth the money.
Feels more natural than composing with the screen (dSLR bias).
Negatives are the cost and the fact that it's possibly fragile since it protrudes somewhat awkwardly. And, of course, that it's still an EVF, so it slows down in poor light.
01-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy one from a place that has a good return policy. You'll know soon enough whether it's worth it or not. I find it easier to compose with two eyes on a big bright high quality flip out screen than one eye in a tiny OVF / EVF.

01-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Here's a used one... Sony Nex FDA-EV1S OLED Electronic viewfinder: For Sale and Wanted Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Want an easy way to decide if you need one? Shoot live view on your dslr exclusively for a couple of days. If you can live with that (realizing that the LCD on Pentax bodies doesn't move) you probably don't need the EVF for the 5N.
I dont usually use liveview on my Pentax bodies simply because I have preferred a viewfinder for years and only use a "liveview" approach when using a P&S, and now my 5N. I have never been in love with any cropped sensor DSLR viewfinders...too dark and narrow. If only the 5N's viewfinder could be more FF viewfinder'like.

Another reason I am considering one is because when trying to manual focus with the screen only and in bright light (sunlight), it is just about useless. The viewfinder would certainly help here.

Regarding a shop that may let me return one after purchase if not satisfied after a few days....This is Greece, no such thing here like that (If there is and someone knows, please enlighten me).

Jason
02-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It quite useful, but sony didn't utilize it properly.
First, the VF design problem. The DR issue is not that hard as usually described even in high contrast scenes. The hood is too small (or it's shape isn't good) to protect from bright sunlight. It just didn't shade well, so eyes (my eyes at least) adapts to brighter environment brightness instead of EVF one and shadow details in it become practically invisible. But when shaded from the light, details appear. Not quite good, but enough for most cases (the problem will be resolved soon, Sony has just introduced their RGBW sensor with HDR video capabilities. 12-14ev would be enough). I also hope they will make better hood.
The second problem is selecting magnification area center. It's just done bad. There are better methods. They chose the worst.

02-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
Banned

Want an easy way to decide if you need one? Shoot live view on your dslr exclusively for a couple of days.
Sadly, LiveView on DSLRs doesn't yet match the implementation on MILCs. It is much poorer.
02-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still on the fence with this purchase...knock me one way or the other.

Jason
02-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Still on the fence with this purchase...knock me one way or the other.
In those cases I usually buy an item
02-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Me too, but at 300 euros....harder to pull the trigger.

Jason
02-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Me too, but at 300 euros....harder to pull the trigger.

Jason
As scarce as they've been you would be able to sell it at not much of a loss if you don't like it.
02-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Sadly, LiveView on DSLRs doesn't yet match the implementation on MILCs. It is much poorer.
True, but it will still give you an idea if you can live without a viewfinder. Only real flaw for Pentax owners is the fact that the LCD is fixed, so it's hard to accurately judge if a viewfinder is needed or not.
02-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #14
Banned

True, but it will still give you an idea if you can live without a viewfinder.
No, it doesn't. It just gives you the wrong idea that LCDs are a crappy replacement for a viewfinder - which isn't the case when LiveView is well implemented.
02-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am am aware of the difference between the Pentax Liveview and shooting through an LCD ala the LX3 and the NEX-5N. The way "Liveview" is implemented on the K-7/5 is pretty poor compared to the NEX-5n. The mirror being the problem in the K.

Anyway, I think I will purchase the viewfinder...Thank you to JHD for pointing out the used one over at DP. I am in contact with the seller and are working out payment details.

Thank again!

Jason