Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Plus the K-01 IQ will smoke the OM-D.
What do you mean by IQ? Is it the ability to shoot clean high ISO shots? Is it the ability to obtain smaller depths of field? More megapixels? There is no doubt the K-01 will have a better sensor (it is larger), but the real question is whether the OM-D will be good enough. As long as the new camera can perform as well as my k200D at base ISO and better than at high ISO (not hard to do, since my k200d tops out at ISO1600), I will be happy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I like Olympus, but they look to be heading down a dead-end with M4/3.
I don't understand this statement. Is there something I am unaware of (I mean this seriously, don't want to buy into a mount that is going away)? It seems to me that Olympus has been investing heavily in the micro 4/3 format. I a unsure if they would be doing this if it were in danger.

02-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like a camera, what's wrong with you people? Gorgeous? pullease
02-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It looks like a camera, what's wrong with you people? Gorgeous? pullease
Looks like a "Baby" DSLR......nothing wrong with that if you like the looks. I have a "Baby" X-Pro, the X10 and I love it and its looks! Everyone is different......or we would all drive those hideous Beetle Bugs!

Looks matter, but just what look matters, varies considerably, doesn't it? I love blondes, but Mrs Rupert won't let me have one......and if I get one, she assures me my new budget will not let me keep her!
Regards!
02-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's about time Apple started lending a hand in the design dept with some of these maufacturers

02-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #35
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
It's about time Apple started lending a hand in the design dept with some of these maufacturers
I cannot imagine Jonathan Ive letting this out the door based on appearance. If anything, the chimney AND dial would have been gone and replaced by touch screen controls. I think that is one of the other things that bugs me about the camera. If they wanted to minimize external controls, why not drop the chimney/dial and use a touch screen interface?
02-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To each their own, but have you ever used those touch screens?

I personally find them extremely unfriendly for many reasons... First - too sensitive, easily touched intentionally and off goes your settings... Second, and one huge reasons why I personally dislike them so much - with manual, scroll dials, once you get to "know the body", you change the settings to accommodate for the subject/shooting conditions without looking at the camera/screen. The body of the camera with all of it's controls becomes an extension of you and your creativity.

Touch screens - thanks but no thanks, I'd like to feel what I'm doing and concentrate on the scene/subject vs. did I touch the right button here/there

Regards,
D
02-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #37
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
To each their own, but have you ever used those touch screens?

I personally find them extremely unfriendly for many reasons... First - too sensitive, easily touched intentionally and off goes your settings... Second, and one huge reasons why I personally dislike them so much - with manual, scroll dials, once you get to "know the body", you change the settings to accommodate for the subject/shooting conditions without looking at the camera/screen. The body of the camera with all of it's controls becomes an extension of you and your creativity.

Touch screens - thanks but no thanks, I'd like to feel what I'm doing and concentrate on the scene/subject vs. did I touch the right button here/there

Regards,
D
I find the screen on the Lumix G2 to be a little under- rather than over-responsive. Personally, I prefer buttons and dials, but the TC would to have fit the LCD only theme. It is much more useable when the camera is not at your eye.

02-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I like it, especially compared to the K-01. A lot of people are saying it just looks like a traditional SLR, but I bet it will still be smaller and lighter. The GH2 is similar in this way, where it looks like a traditional SLR, but if you've ever held one in person it's smaller and lighter than your typical DSLR. I for one, like the touch screens being implemented, especially the ability to set focus points wherever you want on screen. And even so, it looks like the Olympus has plenty of manual controls without having to take your eye away from the viewfinder. I see two dials and two function buttons within proximity of where your thumb and index finger would be. I'm going to guess you can probably program the 4-way buttons on the back as well.

Anyhow, as I've dabbled with different cameras in the last few years, I've developed two tastes. One body for traveling and another for the studio. If this Olympus is weather sealed and light (in comparison to a normal DSLR), this will probably end up being my travel camera. For me, it has the looks and more importantly, the IBIS. I've held a GH2 with the Leica 25mm 1.4, and boy, what a nice light-weight combo. This Olympus would take the cake since it would have IBIS that the Panasonic lacks.

For studio work, I don't care about the weight, so bring on the full frames (c'mon Pentax).
02-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Isn't the big problem with the OM-D the fact that it's going to cost a HUGE amount? Why not just get a proper SLR instead? The advantage of the K-01 is that it's a quirky design with fantastic IQ for enthusiast users in a cheap package. This is a quirky design with fantastic IQ at reasonable ISOs for apparently semi-pro users. M43 was never meant to be an expensive system. Olympus failed with professional 4/3 systems in the past, and they were absolutely stunning cameras, fantastic in almost every way.

What's the point in the OM-D? People can't even bring themselves to accept that APS-C can deliver for professionals, nevermind M43.

This, much more so than the K-01, is an example of form over... well, common sense I guess. And at the price this thing will cost, form alone might not cut it. It may have class leading AF, fabulous build quality, amazing lenses and awesome manual controls, but then it's design is clearly intended to make it look retro, rather than functional, so it's already lost a notch there.

Agh, I just wished the OM-D was going to be a more sensible camera, rather than such an expensive one :[
02-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Put me in the category of folks who absolutely love the look of this camera. All I have to do is pick up my 'program plus' and then the K-5 to know which I would prefer holding or should I now say caressing.

I wish it had a built in flash, but I am willing to overlook quite a bit when it looks like this. I wonder whether that voigtlander f0.95 lens would work with this?

02-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Put me in the category of folks who absolutely love the look of this camera. All I have to do is pick up my 'program plus' and then the K-5 to know which I would prefer holding or should I now say caressing.

I wish it had a built in flash, but I am willing to overlook quite a bit when it looks like this. I wonder whether that voigtlander f0.95 lens would work with this?

The amount of glass on that (still not announced) 75mm 1.8 is impressive. It looks so much larger than the 12mm f/2 and 45mm f1.8.
02-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Isn't the big problem with the OM-D the fact that it's going to cost a HUGE amount? Why not just get a proper SLR instead? The advantage of the K-01 is that it's a quirky design with fantastic IQ for enthusiast users in a cheap package. This is a quirky design with fantastic IQ at reasonable ISOs for apparently semi-pro users. M43 was never meant to be an expensive system. Olympus failed with professional 4/3 systems in the past, and they were absolutely stunning cameras, fantastic in almost every way.

What's the point in the OM-D? People can't even bring themselves to accept that APS-C can deliver for professionals, nevermind M43.

This, much more so than the K-01, is an example of form over... well, common sense I guess. And at the price this thing will cost, form alone might not cut it. It may have class leading AF, fabulous build quality, amazing lenses and awesome manual controls, but then it's design is clearly intended to make it look retro, rather than functional, so it's already lost a notch there.

Agh, I just wished the OM-D was going to be a more sensible camera, rather than such an expensive one :[
I believe it's rumored to be $1200 in price; it does appear to be quite expensive when you can pick up a K5 for less (mind you the K5's initial price was more than the OM-D). Oh well, guess I have to wait a couple of years before the price becomes more reasonable
02-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
I was thinking it might either be an odd folding flash or the hump might have the same accessory port (most of the PENs) + some other port. Size wise, it would appear to be about the size of the E-P3 (L X W) and a bit taller but not as tall as the E-P3 + VF2. Adding both of the extra grips shown would really bump up the size.
Hrm. Really not familiar with their other recent models, myself: I haven't actually seen much of anyone using those EVIL's out and about. (It seems this town's all about the smartphone cameras. )

I do like the grips idea, though. Teeny cameras in the cold are hard to steady, I always found. Helps to have a little weight to bear up against, if not a grip. I do just love the design, ...old school on a smaller scale.
02-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Put me in the category of folks who absolutely love the look of this camera.
Have to agree with you on that indeed... Though not interested in the grip or the battery pack (still want to keep it it as small as I can)

I wish it had a built in flash, but I am willing to overlook quite a bit when it looks like this
It can certainly help, but to be honest with you, I learned how to love the natural light somehow... My E-P1 has not built it flash, and I don't seem to miss it either.

Regards,
D
02-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Really, I fail to see the point of this camera. Expensive, sub-par IQ, boring design. 70's rangefinders are good looking, but 70's SLR's, well, not so much.

There must be something wrong with me, I also think the K-01 looks terrific and has the right "package" in terms of features and sensor.