Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
who's early reports.... Fuji's?
Probably

02-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Probably
Undoutedly, but then again they delivered the goods on IQ with X100 and X10. Then there's this guy who's an actual professional photographer (my apologies for the cut and paste job from another thread):

_DSF1797 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

"new images to come, we have had more time to shoot with it and the x-pro 1 is a brilliant little camera. Those who comment wanting a little more bang for their bucks should look at buying a Phase One, if that is out of the budget might I suggest the x100 or the x-pro1. I have images hanging in my galleries shot with the x100 sitting along side images from my 5D2 and my Phase and at 20x30inch you almost can't pick them. Now the x-pro1 is better again so I have total confidence that the prints will be amazing. Get out from behind your screens and take some photos, isn't that what it is all about?"

And there was that reviewer from from Europe who compared the image quality to his Nikon D3... but hey eventually somebody who shoots photos for a living will eventually complain along with the Pixel Peepers and that will justify the hilarious negativity, right? If I was a betting man, I'd bet if Pentax released the X Pro 1 a lot of people on this forum would be talking about what a great camera it's going to be. But hey, that would be a bit cynical right so I'll just leave it at that.

Perhaps a lot of the complainers just need to get a Phase One. That should do the trick. I'll be perfectly happy with the X Pro 1 and the D700. To be honest (I just print photos not stare at crop shots on a computer monitor so I'm kind of weird), I find the X100 to be as good as the D700 about 95% of the time.

But after having used a K5, D700, X100 and various MFT cameras, I find people generally see what they want to see on these camera forums. The K5 by the way is an outstanding camera.
02-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Early reports suggest that Fuji was not kidding that the X-Pro IQ meets or exceeds any FF camera currently out there.
The night shots I've seen on flickr were absolutely impressive and unlike anything I've seen from any camera. That capability alone is a reason. Add the build quality where each lens is built like a Limited plus they are compact due to the small registration distance, and you have a system that no DSLR can compete with.

I expect this to sell more than X100 and many Canon users will get it, if sales of X100 offer any hint - some may get it instead of a 5DIII and they'll feel they made a bargain too.

There are plenty of people having the money and interest to buy this system and Fuji knows that.
02-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The night shots I've seen on flickr were absolutely impressive and unlike anything I've seen from any camera. That capability alone is a reason. Add the build quality where each lens is built like a Limited plus they are compact due to the small registration distance, and you have a system that no DSLR can compete with.

I expect this to sell more than X100 and many Canon users will get it, if sales of X100 offer any hint - some may get it instead of a 5DIII and they'll feel they made a bargain too.

There are plenty of people having the money and interest to buy this system and Fuji knows that.
I saw those too. The ones from Hong Kong. The Nikon I have couldn't have taken those without a tripod. I do think they dropped the ball on the manual focus but I doubt that's going to put a dent in the sales. Most people (myself included) use auto focus now anyway. I've found the focus on the X100 and X10 to be really accurate.

Believe it or not there were folks on DP review whining about those shots. I thought they were pretty stunning. I was flabbergasted.

The X10 is really an amazing little camera.

02-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Who's early reports.... Fuji's?
Do a search Norm....there are several short reviews out there with plenty of examples. The lack of an AA filter apparently does wonders for the X-Pro. It isn't for everyone, and neither is the X100...which wasn't for me, but it didn't keep Fuji from selling a boatload of them.....and they are still a big seller a year later. I expect the X-Pro might do the same, but we can't know that just yet, so it is indeed speculation a this point.

On the other hand, if you go over to the K5 Forum, you can get the feeling the K5 is still speculation a year later......although I find no speculation whatsoever, it is superb. This is how it flows in the camera world. You like apples...I like apples and oranges. Some just like oranges......what's new about that?

Best Regards!
02-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I saw those too. The ones from Hong Kong. The Nikon I have couldn't have taken those without a tripod. I do think they dropped the ball on the manual focus but I doubt that's going to put a dent in the sales. Most people (myself included) use auto focus now anyway. I've found the focus on the X100 and X10 to be really accurate.

Believe it or not there were folks on DP review whining about those shots. I thought they were pretty stunning. I was flabbergasted.

The X10 is really an amazing little camera.
I second that...it absolutely is a tiny wonder! I can't imagine life without it.

Regards!
02-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I second that...it absolutely is a tiny wonder! I can't imagine life without it.

Regards!
You got it Rupert. Sometimes I think photography isn't fun for a lot of folks.

02-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everyone keeps talking about these mind blowing IQ shots they have seen with the xp1, has anyone got any links? I want to be blown away too
The shots Ive seen were very good but nothing to write home about.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 02-03-2012 at 01:45 PM.
02-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Everyone keeps talking about these mind blowing IQ shots they have seen with the xp1, has anyone got any links? I want to be blown away too
I collect all interesting information I found about the XPro1 here. You'll find the link to the flickr set there too.
02-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
You got it Rupert. Sometimes I think photography isn't fun for a lot of folks.
Stanley, you've noticed that too! Life is so short, and it's not all fun, but I'll be damn if I would spend my time and money on photography...or anything else that wasn't at least partly just fun to do. I see enough long faces in the world, and too many of them are on photographers that are as serious as a heart attack. It's a crying shame, this can be so rewarding and so much fun .....all at the same time!
You better enjoy today...in all eternity it will never come around again.

Best Regards!
02-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Once you get past the initail cost, you'll find you have a 3 lense system that pretty much should cover your daily walk about shoots.
Consider the same setup with a Canon 7D and 3 L primes.
02-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I collect all interesting information I found about the XPro1 here. You'll find the link to the flickr set there too.
Thanks for the link, I dont have time right now, but later tonight I will have a good look at it all.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 02-03-2012 at 11:33 PM.
02-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That price point is a crying shame from my budget point of view. I would have been in line if the price with lens was closer to $1500. With any luck, it may yet drop that low.

As for the people who believe that the X-Pro 1 is simply a fashion statement show a lack of understanding of this type of product. A small-form-factor digital body that is up to the full array of lens that it might be mounted to is a nice thing in its own right, but adding highly usable controls and a flexible viewfinder makes the deal.

I would consider that the X-Pro 1 is positioned to the Leica M9 ($7000 USD, body only) in much the same way that the Zeiss Ikon film rangefinder is positioned against the Leica M7 or MP. The value proposition is unmistakable.

Steve

(...may yet spring for a Zeiss Ikon...yes, it is that good...)
02-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
The shots look good, however to me it looks like a lot of NR is being applied in the jpeg - applied pretty well, but still applied.

Here's the first shot... It is good, but with this much NR, the K-5 would look just as good if not better:

(Shot taken by Hugo Poon)

Not slamming the Fuji, I think it's a pretty cool camera, but one of the things that's showing you is a very effective jpeg engine.

Last edited by jsherman999; 02-04-2012 at 11:11 PM.
02-04-2012, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The shots look good, however to me it looks like a lot of NR is being applied in the jpeg - applied pretty well, but still applied.

Here's the first shot... It is good, but with this much NR, the K-5 would look just as good if not better:
It is not OK to post that image. It does not belong to you, it is copyrighted by the author with "all rights reserved". You have also posted no link to the source and no attribution. Very bad!

FWIW, I asked hugo about his processing and he responded with an unprocessed image that he said was straight from the camera. Check the comments here for a link to it:

construction city... | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I don't care if it's the work of the JPEG engine, as long as it's what the camera can produce without my intervention. I didn't see such output from any other camera.