Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
A good point. But I'm guessing they make most of their money of lenses for other mounts.
that's the pitiful part. they might have as well stick to producing lenses if that was their intention. opportunity lost for other prospect buyers, not from dedicated Sigma camera users.

02-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Given the price of the SD1, I don't expect these to be reasonable in price.
They'll be the same price as what they replace.
02-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
that's the pitiful part. they might have as well stick to producing lenses if that was their intention. opportunity lost for other prospect buyers, not from dedicated Sigma camera users.
I've only used the DP's. There is something to the Foveon technology but I wish a big camera maker like Nikon or Canon would try it out. It really can (when the stars align) produce pretty stunning images. I'd love to try something like the SD1 and might have it the original price hadn't been so high. In the end I went with a Nikon D700 and now I'm not willing to have another DSLR and have money invested in Nikon lenses. One DSLR is all I want. I'm not a huge DSLR user and really like compact cameras. Most of my time is spent outdoors with three medium to large sized dogs in tow so compact cameras work for me. I will probably get these once they are priced right.
02-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
They'll be the same price as what they replace.
That's what I want to believe.

02-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I've only used the DP's. There is something to the Foveon technology but I wish a big camera maker like Nikon or Canon would try it out. It really can (when the stars align) produce pretty stunning images. I'd love to try something like the SD1 and might have it the original price hadn't been so high. In the end I went with a Nikon D700 and now I'm not willing to have another DSLR and have money invested in Nikon lenses. One DSLR is all I want. I'm not a huge DSLR user and really like compact cameras. Most of my time is spent outdoors with three medium to large sized dogs in tow so compact cameras work for me. I will probably get these once they are priced right.
Couldn't agree more. There's something incredible about their images at times.

Not that I'm advocating yet another mount, but I think I'd be at the front of the queue if they offered this body with both the 19mm and 30mm lenses.
02-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Couldn't agree more. There's something incredible about their images at times.

Not that I'm advocating yet another mount, but I think I'd be at the front of the queue if they offered this body with both the 19mm and 30mm lenses.
Me too. I'm waiting to see what they do with the pricing. I'm out on the D800 because of the 36 megapixels and maybe of Nikon completely if a reasonable FF camera isn't released by them. Reasonable as in 18 megapixels not 36. Definitely in on the Fuji X Pro and fence sitting on the Olympus. To be honest I've always thought DSLR's were kind of ugly so I'm not really knocked out by the style of the camera. The DP's right now are much better than the MFT as long as you know how to use them and what their limitations are. They work better for me. If the price comes in right I will forget the Olympus and go with the Sigmas.

I wonder when they will announce the pricing. I really don't want to get that Olympus but I have a some good MFT lenses. I really liked the format at first but got tired of it when I got the X100. I actually prefer the EP 2 in terms of styling to the new Olympus.

Anyway, I really want these but they have to be priced right. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If not I'll stick with the X series until the price comes down.

It would be really great if they made one body with two/three lenses. I only need 28, 50, 85.
02-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
Pentaxian

SInce I had a little time this morning...I poked around a bit.

QuoteQuote:
It really can (when the stars align) produce pretty stunning images.
Did you see the stunning images produced by the guy with the pinhole camera and the year long exposures?

I downloaded one of their sample pictures, the first thing that struck me was 14 mp and 2640x1760.
I'm looking at my K-x and 4288x2828 is 12 Mp. Sigma is still doing the funny math.

Really as someone who sells prints... I'm not sure 2640 is even manage able. I prefer to print at at least 120 dpi and I prefer 200 or over. At 200 dpi max size is 13 inches. I do unframed prints in bins that small... for people to look at while they are deciding to buy a more expensive print. But we don't really sell anything that size.

My K20D, has 2,000 more pixel width. That's capable of producing 4 times the image size as a print at the same resolution.

You have to ask, what does the sigma do different. Tess' image, we've never printed it or posted it. I just went to the smart folder with sunset and looked for something similar to the sigma, looking through the images I realized, our lenses are sharper and provide much crisper image detail, even when viewed at 100 percent crop. A 100% crop is what you see when you open the 2600 image on my monitor, because it fits on my screen. I have to say, I almost groaned when I opened it.

Sigma's sample image..

Our cast off image.

For a second there I was dreaming about buying one of these just because I've always thought the technology should produce great results... once again.. nothing special images, and really bad math.

But hey... I had an hour to burn, I'm retired.

02-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I don't like DSLR's so the Sigma's are a better fit for me because I like to carry small cameras. Same reason I use a X100 and GXR. If I'm going to lug around a DSLR I use a Nikon D700. Personally I don't care for either photo so it's kind of a moot point to me. But that's just me. Both photos are nice. It's not my type of landscape photography. I tend like Edward Burtynsky for this type of thing. I'm not really interested in landscape photography much so I'm not the best judge of it. I sometimes shoot trees when I'm out walking my dogs because there's nothing else out there on the hiking trails, but I get bored with it pretty fast. I'm really more interested in William Eggleston, Robert Frank, or someone like Diane Arbus. They are great photographers to me.
02-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I wasn't looking for a comment on the photos... the point was, this camera doesn't give you superior pictures. I could do the same thing with my Option W9 if you want. Clearer pictures, larger pixel count...Even smaller and easier to carry, fits in your pocket, and is shock proof an waterproof. I'd love to give Sigma some props here, I'm just not seeing it.
02-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Isn't the 14mp spec one the older version? That's a 5mp x 3, so it must be upscaling in the camera. The new ones should have 16mp of true resolution before scaling.
02-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #26
Pentaxian

You are right with that... I just went to their site and downloaded a photo from the DP1 sample images , didn't pay any attention to whether it was the new camera... but, based on past performance... just saying.
02-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
Banned

Photos: Albums
Sigma was the first to bring to the market compact cameras with large sensors and they are still struggling to build an appealing model. Why is it so hard for them to just provide an ILC camera around their Foveon sensor? I'd be interested in that too if they would make it. And you'd think they would learn something from watching what Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, and Fuji have been doing with the concept they pioneered.
02-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The whole point of the new Sigma's is the new 46mp sensor. Divide that by 3 to get what you'll have pixel wise for printing. There sensor is three layers deep. They count the mpix on all three layers and that is how they arrive at 46, but in reality your going to get an image the size that a 15mpix sensor puts out, but that image will be nice, very nice.
02-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
The whole point of the new Sigma's is the new 46mp sensor. Divide that by 3 to get what you'll have pixel wise for printing. There sensor is three layers deep. They count the mpix on all three layers and that is how they arrive at 46, but in reality your going to get an image the size that a 15mpix sensor puts out, but that image will be nice, very nice.
of course, but paying $9,000 for it doesn't make any sense especially it came down to $2,500 only after a year. the funny part about Sigma is how they tried to justify the $,9000 body only price on manufacturing costs while they offer a $7,500-$8,500 SD1 + lens combo where the SD1 body would be valued at $6,000-$6,500. I'd say Sigma just went way over their heads believing it would get some significant sales. they would had sold a lot if they just stuck with the $1,500 price before the launch.

it is tougher competition now considering that most cameras have an average of 16MP to 24MP sensors and the upcoming cameras are rumored to go as far as 30-40MP resolution. whatever advantage that Sigma could had gained the past year is now lost. and they can't compete head on even with their price drop now compared with other cheaper camera options with great performance.
02-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm not speaking to the SD1 - which was priced insanely to say the least, but I was replying to why the new DP's would be preferable to the old - the sensor so you can go beyond and 8x10 print.