Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone switched from a K-5 to a Canon 5D Mk II?

Like many Pentax users, I too have been considering switching brand for a FF DSLR. But the cost of the whole system switch has stopped me from doing it. One day I decide I'm happy with my K-5, the next I lust for the benefits of FF again. (Not to mention the third day I decide to head to MILCs )

Anyway, the Canon 5D Mk II price seems to be slowly coming down and today (for a 1 day special price reduction), a local store is to my understanding selling the body only for sub-1600 €. And that is becoming a reasonable price. Of course buying such a camera would make me sell most of my Pentax gear even though I hate the selling process. And getting EF lenses is another question not discussed here.

Has anybody here switched from a K-5 to a 5D Mk II? What did you find better in the Canon? Did you miss something from the K-5? Do you regret switching or are you happy to have made the decision?

02-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think that the 5D Mk II has a quite outdated AF system. It is not the same as the 7D´s AF at all.
Also looking at the comparison of the two cameras at dpreview the k-5 seem to have a better rating in many things.
However, I do not have personal experience of that camera.
02-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My impression is that even though the 5DII's AF is not the latest, it still outperforms anything Pentax. However, buying into FF means bulkier kit which can be a drag to carry. An array of high performance FF lenses won't be cheap either.
02-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'll notice weight has increased, your wallet will be lighter after every lens purchase, much lighter ",)

I made the switch to a 7D when the K7 was released had a K200D at the time, i went with primarily the faster AF body and needed to build my bag to a basic 3 lens bag, 3 zooms right away the cost was the noticeable difference followed by the immediate increase of weight, thankfully a lighter wallet balanced things but my photos remained the same and i still use "auto" ",)

02-12-2012, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
from k-5 to 5D

I switched from k-5 to 5D. With the 5D II, some of these pros may be extended even further.

Things that are definitely better
- viewfinder in 5D is bigger and brighter
- center point AF performance still beats the k-5 in low light, specially in accuracy. Whoever disses 5D AF performance are either talking about the non-center points, or they are comparing it to the Nikon D700 - which is exceptional in AF speed and accuracy.

Things that are somewhat better (and subject to challenge)
- I find 5D low light images come out better than k-5.

Things that *I find * subjectively better
- with the FF, and Zeiss lenses, there is a distinctive rendering hard to achieve in k-5.

Things that I miss
- the auto ISO mode (whatever it is called)

cheers,

Abhi