Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #46
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the "Real World"....if I had a dollar for very shot that I have taken with my X10 that was ruined by Orbs....I would have......$1.
.....and that shot was taken to purposely produce some Orbs. Orb shooters seem to do much better than me, I admit, but I never was all that interested in them to begin with, so I have little disappointment with my X10, just a ton of fun shots and fun times!

For fast and easy impromptu shooting with a small camera with a range of 28-228mm that will fit in your jacket pocket it fills the bill for most. If you can find a better camera with its advantages, just buy it, and let me know what it is!

Regards!

Quick snapping as I go about my day......it works for me!
[IMG] [/IMG]

02-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #47
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Look! Someone in NC got them a new X10! Must be a long time Fuji testing ground?

Mysterious orbs confound NC county for decades - Yahoo! News

Regards!
03-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #48
Banned

Original Poster
Fujifilm promises 'definitive solution' to X10 white orb problem

QuoteQuote:
Fujifilm has said it will provide a 'definitive solution' to the white orb blooming problem on its X10 enthusiast compact camera. No further details are available at this point but Fujifilm UK, speaking at the Focus 2012 show in Birmingham UK, said that it is aware of customer concerns and that there will be making a full statement on March 12th.
Fujifilm promises 'definitive solution' to X10 white orb problem: Digital Photography Review
03-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Look! Someone in NC got them a new X10! Must be a long time Fuji testing ground?

Mysterious orbs confound NC county for decades - Yahoo! News

Regards!
I don't know about you, but I would find it damn frustrating if I paid $600 for a camera which is defective:ugh:
I guess to some, $600 is not a lot of money.
Yet to others, they had to make sacrifices and save money to purchase this camera.

But i guess its ok to down play and make fun of other's misfortune

03-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #50

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I don't know about you, but I would find it damn frustrating if I paid $600 for a camera which is defective:ugh:
I guess to some, $600 is not a lot of money.
Yet to others, they had to make sacrifices and save money to purchase this camera.

But i guess its ok to down play and make fun of other's misfortune
I am a X10 owner and I do feel sorry for those who’s shooting style is affected by this problem. However I feel more sorry for the Kr user who have front focus problems, or the K-5 user who had stained sensors before the problem was resolved, or the D7000 user with hot pixels or oil getting on the sensor, etc. The list goes on. There is no perfect camera.
03-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #51

Free DeOrbIt tool

I think the "white orb" (excessive sensor bloom) issue is real and, even if it is rarely severe, it does seriously compromise the reliability of the Fuji X10 as a photographic tool in situations where there is only one chance to get the shot. So, after seeing that the firmware fix was not effective, I decided to try building a tool using methods from my computational photography research to reduce the artificial look of the orbs. A sample of what it does is in the image above. A WWW version of the tool, DeOrbIt, is posted at:

http://aggregate.org/DIT/DEORBIT/

Full C source code will be freely distributed once I've tuned it better.

In case you're wondering, I'm a professor of electrical and computer engineering at the University of Kentucky, so I'm doing this as a service to the community with the hope that I might get a research publication or two out of it. I don't even own a Fuji camera.

I would be interested in hearing if there are other cameras with this problem (somebody said Pentax Q might?). None of my modern cameras do. Some of my older digitals have similar issues, but more often produced incorrect color in/around saturated regions rather than large white orbs.

Thanks.