Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus XZ-1 Photos thread

Time to start one for this camera

I got mine just before Christmas as a dive camera, but I love it for surface use too. Compact, great low-light capability with its 1.8 lens, and very nice controls/menus/operation. It's small enough to go with me everywhere...

Oly's first immersion in the waters of Puget Sound

macro mode - this guy is only an inch and half long... Kinda washed out, I had the strobe set too high that time.

Second dive, a little better results with more practice. Another macro shot, he's about an inch long...

A dorid nudibranch ("sea slug") on a rusty steel tank...

A "lumpy" - about 3/4 inch in length...

A young wolf eel in a pipe. Cute lil' critter

Any other XZ-1 owners, feel free to pile in with your shots!

Jim

02-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good idea, Jim, The XZ is definitely deserving of its own space. Your underwater shots are just great, I really like the starfish one. Olympus blues strike again
02-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey Jim, I ended up getting the XZ-1 specifically for diving as well. I'll post some "not so great" shots after work, but I was wondering what kind of underwater setup you had in terms of strobes, grip, and tray. The only thing I have is the PT-050 thus far, so I'm in search of opinions on some other accessories. Thanks!

-Tän
02-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here's one

02-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Good idea, Jim, The XZ is definitely deserving of its own space. Your underwater shots are just great, I really like the starfish one. Olympus blues strike again
That was definitely hte best shot from that first dive Got a lot more that weren't exactly worth keeping... I do like the colors!

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Hey Jim, I ended up getting the XZ-1 specifically for diving as well. I'll post some "not so great" shots after work, but I was wondering what kind of underwater setup you had in terms of strobes, grip, and tray. The only thing I have is the PT-050 thus far, so I'm in search of opinions on some other accessories. Thanks!

-Tän
This is hte package I bought from this shop in Seattle (I like going to a brick and mortar store, especially for something as complicated as a diving rig, and these guys are great!): link

I also added a small focus light that attaches to a small arm mounted in the hotshoe:

When the main strobe fires it shuts itself off, so you only get the strobe's effect.

Next thing I get will be either a second strobe or a continuous video light, but I have a few other pieces of dive gear that are higher priority for now.

Here's one

Nice! Good vibrant greens there...

Jim
02-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Jim, those are great pics but i won't be joining you in those waters anytime soon. That's a cool set-up you have. Taking the xtra light is a great idea. Theres not much color without light.

Heres a few recent XZ pics

02-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm liking the LX5 system.

02-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I'm liking the LX5 system.
Umm, ok... Not quite sure how that relates to a thread for Oly XZ-1 pics though. But we'll let it slide anyway

Jim

One more shot - the Christmas lights on the Parliament building in Victoria, British Columbia. Handheld shot - no support other than leaning on a waist-high railing... Love the low-light processing!

Last edited by RoxnDox; 07-10-2014 at 08:06 AM.
02-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Its brilliant for night or low light! I've been amazed. I never thought I would get starbursts on any other camera than my K-5 (or equivalent)

Its great for Street

For closeup

For just about anything at all!

02-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote

Heres a few recent XZ pics
Love those people shots, especially the one with the gold mask and weird green eyes, brilliantly effective!
02-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Jim and kyteflyer... those are great nite pics. The XZ is very versatile and just convenient to carry. Heres some nite pics from winter in chicago

02-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh nice shots. I do envy you lot your snow. I spent a winter in the northeast many years ago and I just loved it. Of these, I think the first is pretty magical with all those tiny lights in the trees.
02-22-2012, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

And one from me. I hadnt realised when I was playing with this in PS, that it was the XZ in use. For some reason I had convinced myself I had used the K-5. I'm not sure whether thats saying something about the XZ, or the K-5

02-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Oh nice shots. I do envy you lot your snow. I spent a winter in the northeast many years ago and I just loved it. Of these, I think the first is pretty magical with all those tiny lights in the trees.
I was in it for a couple of weeks and escaped to florida. I'm enjoying the warm weather... and lest i forget, thanks for encouraging me to get this camera! its a great tool!
02-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I was in it for a couple of weeks and escaped to florida. I'm enjoying the warm weather... and lest i forget, thanks for encouraging me to get this camera! its a great tool!
So... umm... after I get the Canon G1X will I encourage you some more? LOL (Thats a long way off, I'm kidding)

You're doing some great work with it, so is Roxndox.

I love mine, but I also get carried away and need to get back to basics with the GRD3, and to do more with the K-5 which is languishing a bit. Had it out last week a couple of times but its been stored in an alternative bag again and ...