Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What would be your most anticipated non-Pentax camera this year?

For me, it'd have to be the Olympus XZ-2. If Oly manage to get a S100-level sensor behind their fast lens, add decent video capability, and perhaps shrink the body a little, it'd be my ultimate take-everywhere camera.

As photography enthusiasts, we spend a lot of time talking about higher-end products, but in addition to that, I like to imagine what I could really enjoy as a "daily driver".

Also, the new Nikon P7100 ergonomics look fantastic, how I'd love that in a pocket size!

As an aside, I'm led to believe that the Q image circle can handily take a 1/1.6" sensor size and maintain SR. Given that the current 1/2.3" Q sensor handily beats most 1/1.7" sensors, I'd love to see that IQ moving to a larger sensor in a Q mount. I think that as the Q was so long in development and waiting for the sensor that could do it justice, Pentax were perhaps a little fast to bring it to market. yes, they were right that the sensor was better than most of it's compact competition, but many of us (including me) and the press focused on the sensor size rather than the sensor quality. A Q with a 1/1.6" or 1/1.7" sensor with proportionally better quality than the current 1/2.3" would start to raise some eyebrows.

02-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The P7100 indeed looks like a great camera...and for my standarts it's pocketable (although in the high end compact section i find it hard to beat the canon s100...great price and features...with a faster lens than the g11 or g12, the only thing i miss about those is the external flash foot for strobist fun ).
But for me the most anticipated cameras are the replacements for the Nikon and Canon FF's...the d800 looks promising and now i'm aching to see the replacement of the 5dII...If it turns out to be the 22Mp, 61 af points, 6.9 Fps and it's price stays below 3000$ it's gonna be very very difficult to decide wich one to pick.
It'll boil down to the d800 high iso performance of the production models, to the comparison between the AF since it's gonna be hard to beat the one that the d800 incorporates, to the final price of the kit i'm going to buy...
It's a very exiting time!! we'll see if the rumors are right about the 28th february anouncement or the 2nd march one for the canon model.
02-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

How about a compact P&S with an APS-C ? (No, I am not alluring to the Canon G1X)...but the forthcoming Sony.

sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR5) A Sony surprise: A compact camera with APS-C sensor and fixed zoom!

Not sure I will buy one as my new NEX-5n is pretty much hitting all of my wants and needs at the moment, but the idea of this, as long as is the right design, is intriguing to me as a full time traveler.

Jason
02-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Fuji X-Pro looks pretty exciting to me. It is certainly different than all the others, and smaller than most in its sensor class.

Regards!

02-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
How about a compact P&S with an APS-C ? (No, I am not alluring to the Canon G1X)...but the forthcoming Sony.

sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR5) A Sony surprise: A compact camera with APS-C sensor and fixed zoom!

Not sure I will buy one as my new NEX-5n is pretty much hitting all of my wants and needs at the moment, but the idea of this, as long as is the right design, is intriguing to me as a full time traveler.

Jason

If they get it right that will be a slam dunk hit. Sony can be Hit and miss in the P/S department. sometimes they just nail it with a model with huge appeal and other times they seem to get lost.
02-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

Jason
Very interesting! With their R1 history, it's certainly within reason.

However, it'd be a big kick in the teeth to the NEX3/5 for most APS-C newcomers' needs.

Canon aren't yet even competing with their own mirrorless, but take a look at their DxO sensor scores for the G1X and it's either dumbed-down or a way of using old sensor stock.

The Nikon 1 and Canon G1X show there is a LOT of resistance to compete with their high-margin products. This is exactly the opportunity for Pentax/Sony/Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic/Samsung.

If I had to bet on these upcoming horses, I'd go with Sony for sensors and electronics.... and Pentax for compact primes and jpeg engines.
02-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
MAC

I've already bought my most anticipated camera, the Fuji X-Pro1.

Other than that I find the Olympus EM-5 interesting, if only because of its looks.

02-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
Banned

Sony NEX-9 with 36mp FF sensor and a K-mount.
02-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Sony NEX-9 with 36mp FF sensor and a K-mount.
+1 maybe
02-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The Fuji X-Pro looks pretty exciting to me. It is certainly different than all the others, and smaller than most in its sensor class.
Leica M10 with hybrid viewfinder (RF and EVF) and 36Mp sony sensor.
02-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
JFN
Veteran Member

An old 35mm film "compact" Leica or Voigtlander, if I find anything within a reasonable price range.
02-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

For all the OM-D folks. Here's a great piece by Kirk Tuck on G3 vs OM-D (scroll down 4 blog post):

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck
02-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sony FF 36mp SLR/SLT (not confirmed or announced yet, but this may be my FF choice when/if it happens)...
02-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm not gonna pick a favourite so it's all of them even the Holgas and all i want them to do is take a photo
02-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Fuji Xpro1 is still the most interesting.
Pretty tall claims that its better than FF.
But ISO6400 seems impressive indeed.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/fujifilm/1050199-fujifilm-x-pro1-singapore-la...ml#post7745579

Furthermore, they seem to have the fast small primes to pull off a successful system.

FF Sony will be SLT, I doubt FF NEX will be out this year since it has no good lenses and NEX7 hasn't even got a ROI due to the flood damage in Thailand.

I'd certainly be interested in the next PP DSLR, MILC and Q.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
For all the OM-D folks. Here's a great piece by Kirk Tuck on G3 vs OM-D (scroll down 4 blog post):

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck
Oddly very few of the so called mirrorless proponents (eg. Kirk Tuck, Steve Huff) seems to have taken much interest in G3 when it 1st came out. Perhaps over shadowed by the EP3 series of cameras and the utilitarian DSLR styling of the G3.
At least its getting some deserved time on VSL now.