Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 808 is such a cool camera... i mean, PHONE! =))

One day, I think, even smartphones will have... various mount adapters! and compact lenses like the telephoto one made for Apple.

The Q lenses will still have use! lol

02-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The day smartphones rendered P&S cameras useless has arrived.

Now you just need to popularize it. I bet the next iPhone will feature similar specs. Then it's done, critical mass achieved.
02-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #63
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yay, about time for a game changer if you ask me! Now Pentax just needs to start making full-frame FF DSLRs and mirrorless camera's and well be in business

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #64
Veteran Member

If this Study/ project from Nokia started 5 years ago, it would be a bit late on the other manufactures and every camera manufacturer will have to re-think how to approach the market. This is shows how deep nokia's R&D.

02-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I think it's be fair to say that all imaging companies, Apple included, will have collectively soiled themselves at this news. This is a quantum leap.

Good for Nokia to have the balls to shake things up and not inch along incrementally. I guess it required a struggling giant to have both the resources and desperation to break the mold.
02-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #66
Veteran Member

I've been playing around with the full size sample images in lightroom.

The results are staggering. I can't believe they came from a phone.
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Has there been any speculation about the source of this sensor on Finnish discussion forums= As far as you know?
I would also be very curious to know. So far haven´t heard anything.

02-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
I would also be very curious to know. So far haven´t heard anything.
I've also looked, to no avail. What raises my suspicion that it might not be, is that on two videos where two separate Nokia employees talk about the camera, they specifically mention Nokia's proprietary algorhythms, imaging engine, etc, but NO mention of "Nokia sensor".

Selfishly, I hope it isn't theirs and that they haven't locked-in the supplier on exclusive terms, as I'd like to get hold of a device using this that doesn't run on Symbian or (in future) Windows Mobile.

This changes the saying "The best camera is the one you have with you" to "The best camera IS the one you have with you"
02-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Pentax seems to have realized this, since they're no longer pushing loads of cheap P&S models, but rather more interesting ones with 20x zoom (not possible with a smartphone) or underwater capabilities (not yet common among smartphones).
02-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Pentax seems to have realized this, since they're no longer pushing loads of cheap P&S models, but rather more interesting ones with 20x zoom (not possible with a smartphone) or underwater capabilities (not yet common among smartphones).
I hope they also put manual control on these cameras.... big plus against smartphones
02-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I hope they also put manual control on these cameras.... big plus against smartphones
Yes, I wish they would. My Optio W10 actually has manual focus, but unfortunately no manual exposure control (or semi-manual, like Av mode) except for exposure comp.
02-28-2012, 02:12 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Now you just need to popularize it. I bet the next iPhone will feature similar specs. Then it's done, critical mass achieved.
Apple is still busy catching up with the N8 cameraphone Nokia made 2 years ago. Maybe in 5 years or so, there will be an iPhone comparable to 808. Hardly any earlier.
02-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #73
Veteran Member

This thread is funny...

And now for something completely different... a 12mpx Nikon D700 for 2 grand! It WAS looking cool until I read this thread. I hope this is not some early April fools joke..
02-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjcassara Quote
PureView means they use all 41 megapixels to take the image, but they take clusters of 7 pixels, and average them to obtain a single pixel. Cropping just throws away the extra pixels, Nokia is using the extra pixels to reduce noise, so it's not just a marketing word.
Yes, well, they're cropping and then averaging a cluster of pixels -- which is exactly the same thing as downsampling, whether it is done in firmware or in Photoshop isn't really relevant. Granted, if they're doing the averaging in the analog domain before the ADC conversion takes place then it is likely to produce slightly better results, but it's still basically the same thing. It IS marketing-speak when they dream up special ™ ® words for this process. It makes a lot of sense to do it this way in a camera phone, but there's nothing new or unique about it. The news is they're using a sensor with an insane amount of pixels per square millimeter, so the process is likely to be far more effective than previous attempts to do pixel-binning and/or cropping in-camera.

It is ALSO a marketing lie when they claim that the pixel binning process somehow turns individial pixels in the resampled output picture into "true RGB pixels". Nope, sorry. A downsampled cluster of Bayer-filtered pixels is just that, a downsampled cluster of Bayer-filtered pixels. Sure, resolution and colour fidelity is better, but this is not a Foveon sensor or anything like it.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye:
I talked about equivalent properties and they DO change. You must consider a camera system, not a part like a lens. And cropping DOES change a camera as a system.
But the fact is that the "equivalent" focal length never ever changes. A picture taken at 35 mm-e is still 35 mm-e no matter how hard you crop it. As you know, focal length does not only determine field of view, but also depth of field and perspective, among other things, so it is completely useless to talk about the focal length changing in this case, because it does not. It's 8 mm (35 mm-e) no matter how you slice it.

It's not zoom in any sense that the word has ever been used thus far in photography; it's exactly like the common practice of taking a bird picture with a 300 mm lens and cropping it to a 600 mm-e field of view (because you have pixels to spare on your shiny new K-5.) Yeah, it now looks like the bird is closer, but it's still a picture taken with a 300 mm lens, and now you have less resolution per inch when printing. Cropping can not ever change the focal length, which is a physical property of the lens.

Last edited by Erik; 02-28-2012 at 03:45 AM.
02-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #75
Veteran Member

So does this mean its a direct competitor to the 645D and D800?