Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirror less systems

I went out at the start of January and grabbed a Nikon J1. I loved it. I got some great shots with it trying it out around the house. Then it got really ultra cold outside and I didn't want to go out and play. But I did take the camera everywhere, and did get a few interesting snaps.

Finally, almost a month later I got asked to go shoot some photos for a gym and get some photos of the instructors for one of the classes. I took the J1 and the K5. The photos I took with the J1 were really grainy and near useless, even at iso 400. Something I played around with and originally didn't mind the noise around 400. I went to the store and we found their demo J1 and V1's were doing the same thing! Apparently this is a known issue to the local nikon rep because after he did 3 resets the camera didn't have the noise issues anymore. Figure that out. Firmware update pending apparently.

So I exchanged for the NEX5N. As already noted until people are blue in the face, this camera rocks! It can deliver quality that can equal the K5 and other similar priced DSLRs for a smaller price tag and much smaller size.... but why haven't I used it?

I use it primarily for video, and I don't do a whole lot of it. I don't take it with me anywhere because I cannot fit it in my jacket as easily as the J1. I'm passed the return date, but I'm having major buyers remorse here.

I'm seriously considering hocking it onto the marketplace and try to get a V1 or a Q with the money.

Here is my pro/cons between the two systems.

NEX5n
Pros:
Awesome image quality
tilt screen is more useful than originally thought
panoarama mode is fun
decent manual controls

cons:
battery kind of sucks
too big to be pocketable take anywhere camera
too finky to be a K5 replacement

J1:
Pros:
pocketable
okay battery
incredibly fast AF
Just fun to use

cons:
manual mode sucks.
getting into different modes is annoying
pre-post-shot mode is annoying
has iso noise issues

Anyone wanna trade NEX5N for a V1 or J1? lol

03-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Once a camera gets past a pocketable size, it's use as a carry around all-the-time tool is pretty much out the window. My X10 barely makes the grade...if I have on a jacket with nice pockets, but otherwise I might just as well carry the K5. As for low light...the fast lens on the X10 makes low light shooting a breeze....almost any light will do fine.
Regards!
03-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You might be better of getting an Elph or S series from Canon, some of the Casios have good fps for slomo videos if you're looking for pocketability and full HD vids the current crop of backlit sensors would be better suited for your applications.
03-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
You might be better of getting an Elph or S series from Canon, some of the Casios have good fps for slomo videos if you're looking for pocketability and full HD vids the current crop of backlit sensors would be better suited for your applications.

Tell me more? I have never considered anything but interchangeables.

I am looking for something with good low light capabilities.

03-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a V-1, a NEX-5 and a NEX-5n. I've sold my K-7 and I'm selling my K-x. I've sold most of my K-mount lenses and with the exception of one, which I will use with the NEX, I'm selling the rest.

More than anything I hate having a millstone hung around my neck. I couldn't careless how functional a DSLR is; it's way too big... and it's way too HEAVY. If IQ is the desired end all be all, then why settle for APS-C when there are full frame and medium format cameras - not to mention film?

So what if the NEX doesn't fit inside your pocket? You can painlessly pack it around or hang it from your neck much longer than a K-5! In any case, you shouldn't have a problem selling it as there is more demand than supply.