Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It would be odd if I proved that, because I never said it.
You implied it when you said this:
QuoteQuote:
If you have proof there is demand, I'm sure you can get the attention of Pentax execs... if not, quit writing like there is.
Either there is no demand or there is a demand.

I don't get the anti-ff people, will your aps-c cameras suddenly disappear when pentax releases a ff camera? No? they're still there? Then whats the problem?

I particularly don't mind if pentax releases an ff or not now, I've got 2 cameras from different manufacturers one lens each that complement each other in focal lengths, ideally I'd like to ditch the nikon and stay with Pentax but if they don't provide what I want then I won't mind ditching Pentax instead.

03-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
You implied it when you said this:
I implied that there was insufficient demand, which would imply that there is demand, but that there is a magic number at which a company is willing to risk investment in a new product. What I don't know is if there is enough interest to appeal to the execs at Pentax. And noted that I don't know what they are looking at so it's impossible for me to declare them incompetent. Unless not hiring Andre Agassi or Mario Sharapova to be their spokespeople was a huge mistake.

QuoteQuote:
I particularly don't mind if Pentax releases an ff or not now, I've got 2 cameras from different manufacturers one lens each that complement each other in focal lengths, ideally I'd like to ditch the nikon and stay with Pentax but if they don't provide what I want then I won't mind ditching Pentax instead.
I don't mind that you don't mind..
03-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #48
Veteran Member

For people mainly shooting telephoto's, they probably don't appreciate the issues as well as those who like wide-angles and fast standard lenses. Being able to produce the same DOF with a slower lens setting on a 50mm operating on a FF sensor allows the same DOF that would possibly need a wide open 30mm at F1.2 or less. For people who like everything to be sharp though, there's probably no point in changing up.
03-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Folks, in the various posts I've made, I said "EI-2000" when I meant to say "EI-3000". I seem to make that mistake when I think of the camera that came after the EI-200, I just add another zero. Sorry! Doh!

Wait!!! There was an EI-2000, and the EI-3000 was the same camera but with some improvements! Doh! I knew I was right/ and wrong at the same time!

03-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
For people mainly shooting telephoto's, they probably don't appreciate the issues as well as those who like wide-angles and fast standard lenses. Being able to produce the same DOF with a slower lens setting on a 50mm operating on a FF sensor allows the same DOF that would possibly need a wide open 30mm at F1.2 or less. For people who like everything to be sharp though, there's probably no point in changing up.
There is no question it is harder (sometimes impossible) to achieve the same exact 3D effect of a sharp subject against a blurred background in APSc with current generation lenses as in FF. Of course 24x36 has limits compared to 120 - but that didn't make 24x36 an inferior format.

But this argument is like the shutter speed and AF speed arguments against Pentax made by those who want to shoot fast action sports or celebrity candid - Pentax can't really do what they want as well as something else, either. But that doesn't make the K-5 worthless, doesn't doom Pentax to failure and doesn't mean nobody ever needs APSc. It just means there might be a better tool for a segment of the total market. So if you need the better tool, buy the better tool, sell your services and do what you can (if anything) with a Pentax.

If Pentax Ricoh Imaging believes it can profitably compete in one or more of those segments we will see improvements in Pentax technology - or maybe a FF sensor and the attendant support for the segment that really uses FF. I believe PRI will start building a more professional system beginning next year. It won't be one body; it won't be a few lenses; and it won't be cheap.

If I am wrong Pentax users who just want to take pretty pictures for Flickr might have to wait a bit longer.