Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Banned

Fujifilm devoloping modified sensor to fix X10 and X-S1 white orbs

QuoteQuote:
Fujifilm has released a statement explaining the causes of the 'white disc' blooming issue that affects certain images shot with the X10 high-end compact. The statement says the company is developing a modified sensor in response to the problem, that can also affect the X-S1 premium superzoom. It encourages X10 and X-S1 owners experiencing 'the white disc phenomenon' to contact their local Fujifilm service center.

Fujifilm has a long-standing history of delivering top quality products to the market. In response to our customers’ comments, we have worked hard to find an improvement to reduce the ‘blooming’ effect of the X10 and X-S1. Below are the actions we have undertaken.
1.In February, we announced a firmware upgrade for the X10 (version 1.03) which does reduce the white disc occurrence specifically in EXR mode. It works by identifying scenes that are likely to get ‘white disc’ blooming. When the camera recognizes such a scene, it automatically increases the ISO and optimizes DR (dynamic range). As the ISO increases, the white discs are less evident. * New firmware for the X-S1 will be available from March 21, 2012.
1.We will also develop a modified sensor, which will more universally resolve the ‘white disc’ blooming effect in all modes. We are working hard to make this new sensor available from late May 2012.
Fujifilm devoloping modified sensor to fix X10 and X-S1 white orbs: Digital Photography Review

03-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not an owner of a Fuji (yet) but I wonder if the present owners will be able to send the camera for a refitting or simply will be able to just return the camera ?

Reading the posts at DP Review, one wonders what Fuji will actually do for the present owners.

JP
03-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Until I see the results of the new sensor, I won't let them have my X10 for any changes. The EXR setting is wonderful on my X10 just like it is, and Orbs are so rare as to be non-existent in my experience with the X10. Even the Orb shots I have seen by the "furious few" have been pretty much worthless in my opinion, and I would have deleted them if they didn't have any Orbs. This is my experience and my opinion.....others may vary, no doubt about it!
Regards!
03-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 Rupert. My first thought was "But, what if the new sensor has worse issues?" My X10 does fine and I wonder what I would be giving up to get rid of the rare Orb siting.

03-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I am not an owner of a Fuji (yet) but I wonder if the present owners will be able to send the camera for a refitting or simply will be able to just return the camera ?
When you fill out the form to send in the camera, there is a box to check that asks if you'd like the camera replaced with a referb of equal condition for faster turn around. At least I had that option when I sent my X100 in for the sticking aperture that affected a percentage of them.
03-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
+1 Rupert. My first thought was "But, what if the new sensor has worse issues?" My X10 does fine and I wonder what I would be giving up to get rid of the rare Orb siting.
I bet the vast majority are like us.....happy with what we have and not willing to lose it on account of a few Orbs that are rarely if ever seen in what we shoot. The X10 is so near perfect for what I am using it for, I won't take any chance on Fuji fouling it up.
Regards!