Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seems like Fuji is almost there. Maybe I will buy the Xpro 2, but the AF is the big thing for me with fast kids and slow hands. I know that is not a concern for many of you. I sure wish they'd sell that sensor to Pentax. Thanks for the links they were a good read.

03-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Here you go (sorry it was Leica lenses or some kind of manual focus lens). And I'd still bet the NEX 7 is probably better for manual focus. I'm going with the X Pro but if I wanted to mount Leica or whatever lenses I'd do the NEX 7.

Street Photography with Fuji XPro1 | F8 Photography Hong Kong

So my final thoughts are as follows:

Recommended for street photography – A BIG YES.

Recommended to switch if you already have a Leica M9 – personally NO, but I think many will….

Recommended for manual focus with Fuji lenses – NO WAY!

Recommended for manual focus with M lenses – YES, REALLY WORKS GREAT.

Recommended for anyone wishing to switch from DSLR or looking for travel photography camera – YES YES YES.

So, I won’t be swapping it for my Leica just yet….but I can still highly recommend the camera, its ergonomically great, looks the part, and I personally haven’t had any serious issues with autofocus.
03-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #78
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Luminous Landscape review Part II:

Fuji X-Pro1 Review - Part 2
I read it all. Not all that encouraging in several key areas, in particular the AF and the Auto ISO that isn't so auto. Still, if the IQ was impressive, it might be reason enough for the reviewer to be excited.....however, I didn't see anything he posted that might have impressed me....did you?

Since I will not buy anything that doesn't offer a zoom or two, I will have some time to see what real world shooters have to say and what images they produce that will make shooting with a "quirky" camera worth the hassle. For some reason I am being reminded of some of my experiences with the X10.....you love much of what it can do but hate how it does it, and may never live long enough to figure out all the twists and turns in how it operates. There is a certain amount of intrigue in using a machine that requires you to try and outsmart it, but I'm not sure paying a premium price to do a crossword puzzle is a joy that will endure for any long term. Beta testers will no doubt have the answer in a short time, and I'll be watching.

There is a market for the adventurous, and those that prefer to be challenged by their equipments idiosyncrasies, although the ability to have equipment that is simple and straightforward, works almost flawlessly, and produces great results seems like a great idea to most...I would assume?

Regards!
03-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I read it all. Not all that encouraging in several key areas, in particular the AF and the Auto ISO that isn't so auto. Still, if the IQ was impressive, it might be reason enough for the reviewer to be excited.....however, I didn't see anything he posted that might have impressed me....did you?

Since I will not buy anything that doesn't offer a zoom or two, I will have some time to see what real world shooters have to say and what images they produce that will make shooting with a "quirky" camera worth the hassle. For some reason I am being reminded of some of my experiences with the X10.....you love much of what it can do but hate how it does it, and may never live long enough to figure out all the twists and turns in how it operates. There is a certain amount of intrigue in using a machine that requires you to try and outsmart it, but I'm not sure paying a premium price to do a crossword puzzle is a joy that will endure for any long term. Beta testers will no doubt have the answer in a short time, and I'll be watching.

There is a market for the adventurous, and those that prefer to be challenged by their equipments idiosyncrasies, although the ability to have equipment that is simple and straightforward, works almost flawlessly, and produces great results seems like a great idea to most...I would assume?

Regards!

the more I read your posts the more I think it is probably the wrong camera for you Rupert (the X10 is just not the same thing really though it seems a very capable little camera for what it is). I know they have zooms on the way but really this system is not going to be overly zoom friendly. Your K5 will be much better at that. Maybe you should wait for Photokina and see what the DSLR lineup will look like with Pentax. I'm betting there will be at least one item to kill your CBA for a while
If OTOH you are looking for a small prime solution with good iq that has some limitations but also some benefits (ie great for streets and travel maybe not so hot for action) then this may well be the best current solution.
As I move away from live music coverage this camera makes more sense for a lot of what i currently am focused on(Travel, Streets, landscapes) and given it's iso capability it can certainly shoot live events in a pinch (currently i focus manually at them 90% of the time anyway so focus speed isn't a major concern as long as i can prefocus a zone and trip the shutter at the right time

03-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #80
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
currently i focus manually at them 90% of the time anyway so focus speed isn't a major concern as long as i can prefocus a zone and trip the shutter at the right time
its amazing to me that this tecqnique is lost on so many people today. it is so wonderfully effective. when I was one of the photographers a few days ago covering the St. Patrick's parade for the newspaper, I also carried my freshly CLA'd spotmatic and Zeiss manual focus. one of the photographers for a particular parade entry (the Budweiser coach, being pulled by clydesdales) asked me how I was getting shots so quickly with that camera. manual focus, manual advance, etc. my only response before moving on was 'zone focus'. I don't think he had any idea what I was referring to, as he looked rather dumbfounded.
03-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
its amazing to me that this tecqnique is lost on so many people today. it is so wonderfully effective. when I was one of the photographers a few days ago covering the St. Patrick's parade for the newspaper, I also carried my freshly CLA'd spotmatic and Zeiss manual focus. one of the photographers for a particular parade entry (the Budweiser coach, being pulled by clydesdales) asked me how I was getting shots so quickly with that camera. manual focus, manual advance, etc. my only response before moving on was 'zone focus'. I don't think he had any idea what I was referring to, as he looked rather dumbfounded.
well when i started out way way back AF didn't exist good metering was done with a hand held meter (the built in one being ok for non critical work really no better than sunny 16 for me)
I shot sports this way when i was in school no motor drive. managed just fine to get some good shots. Sam still holds for the music (in fact since i stopped using my AF gear and used my MF gear more at live music i shoot less frames with a higher hit rate

and for street shooting zone focusing is very reliable as long as you can judge distance and allow a stop of error on the lens distance scale (ie shoot f11 and use the f8 distance scale - with apsc it's really f11 and be there )
03-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #82
Banned

and for street shooting zone focusing is very reliable as long as you can judge distance and allow a stop of error on the lens distance scale (ie shoot f11 and use the f8 distance scale - with apsc it's really f11 and be there )
not really necessary when shooting on 35mm format though. my thing with using an internal meter, is knowing what you are metering instead of just pointing the camera and centering the needle. I do a lot of 'pre-metering' when using a spotmatic. a quick meter or two for a particular scene and then don't use the meter after that for consecutive shots. this makes one of these old cameras incredibly fast, but this is a bit of thread topic.

03-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #83
Pentaxian

the more I read your posts the more I think it is probably the wrong camera for you Rupert (the X10 is just not the same thing really though it seems a very capable little camera for what it is).
I think so too, Rupert. It looks like its shaping up to be kind of like the X100 but to a lesser degree. If you don't like working around a camera's short comings, it may not be the camera for you. But be patient and see what gets fixed by summer.
03-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #84
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
the more I read your posts the more I think it is probably the wrong camera for you Rupert (the X10 is just not the same thing really though it seems a very capable little camera for what it is). I know they have zooms on the way but really this system is not going to be overly zoom friendly. Your K5 will be much better at that. Maybe you should wait for Photokina and see what the DSLR lineup will look like with Pentax. I'm betting there will be at least one item to kill your CBA for a while
If OTOH you are looking for a small prime solution with good iq that has some limitations but also some benefits (ie great for streets and travel maybe not so hot for action) then this may well be the best current solution.
As I move away from live music coverage this camera makes more sense for a lot of what i currently am focused on(Travel, Streets, landscapes) and given it's iso capability it can certainly shoot live events in a pinch (currently i focus manually at them 90% of the time anyway so focus speed isn't a major concern as long as i can prefocus a zone and trip the shutter at the right time
Eddie, that is a fair enough evaluation, and although I have tried very hard to like this camera, it just may not be right for me. That is no reflection on the camera, but I also don't need a racehorse, even though I do love horses. Still, I will keep watching, and even if it ends up not being the camera for me, I will get to enjoy what others can do with it, just as I have with the X100.
I have been so impressed with my little X10...for its intended purpose...that it has made me a Fuji follower without a doubt. Sooner or later they will have another camera that I can love as much as my little X10.
Regards!
03-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Eddie, that is a fair enough evaluation, and although I have tried very hard to like this camera, it just may not be right for me. That is no reflection on the camera, but I also don't need a racehorse, even though I do love horses. Still, I will keep watching, and even if it ends up not being the camera for me, I will get to enjoy what others can do with it, just as I have with the X100.
I have been so impressed with my little X10...for its intended purpose...that it has made me a Fuji follower without a doubt. Sooner or later they will have another camera that I can love as much as my little X10.
Regards!
one thing i've always liked about fuji is they generally take a path different than everyone else and fill a niche. in medium format they produced a great range of cameras that filled holes the big guys ignored