Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Someone made mention in another thread that we're now to a point that sensors are really, really good. Now, going forward, the optics will have to be better to really appreciate any perceptible improvements.

02-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This whole nonsense of you can't put anything but the best glass on the great body is just that, nonsense. If it's not, then put your money where you mouth is and get the Otus. Surely, it's not too expensive for you. You MUST have the best glass! Sell a kidney, whatever it takes!

On photo.net there is an accomplished wedding photographer that uses the 5d3 with a 28-135 as her main lens. OMG! She should be run out of business by torch and pitchfork wielding forumites. How dare she team up a great body like the 5d3 with that, that, THING.

The Travel writers Travel Photographer of the Year, Susan E. Frost uses a 7d with a 28-135 and a 17-40. She does very well, doesn't have to shlep heavy glass all over to get the shots she sells. Heck, that body even sucks. It's got a noisy, low dynamic range sensor. She'll fail for sure. Except she didn't.

If your goal as a photographer is to simply take the most technically correct photos then by all means get the best you can afford and be prepared to feel like any weakness in your images is down to your gear. It has to be the gear, not you.
02-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
This whole nonsense of you can't put anything but the best glass on the great body is just that, nonsense. If it's not, then put your money where you mouth is and get the Otus. Surely, it's not too expensive for you. You MUST have the best glass! Sell a kidney, whatever it takes!

On photo.net there is an accomplished wedding photographer that uses the 5d3 with a 28-135 as her main lens. OMG! She should be run out of business by torch and pitchfork wielding forumites. How dare she team up a great body like the 5d3 with that, that, THING.

The Travel writers Travel Photographer of the Year, Susan E. Frost uses a 7d with a 28-135 and a 17-40. She does very well, doesn't have to shlep heavy glass all over to get the shots she sells. Heck, that body even sucks. It's got a noisy, low dynamic range sensor. She'll fail for sure. Except she didn't.

If your goal as a photographer is to simply take the most technically correct photos then by all means get the best you can afford and be prepared to feel like any weakness in your images is down to your gear. It has to be the gear, not you.
if more photographers practiced techniques as much as they went around forums and cried about what someone else is using we would all be a lot better. I'm at work...preventing me from going out and shooting. but if I could I would! One of my friends uses a K20D and kit lens and produces some of the most stunning images. Then here I am with arguably the best Pentax glass available from retail today and he's running circles around me. Flickr - Bad, bad panda! Come on. We want photos.