03-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the KO1 inspired them lol

03-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I remember handling the then-new Leica M3 at Thalhimer's camera department in Richmond, VA. I was perhaps 11 or 12. Mr Stanley Balderson, the manager of the department was most gracious in letting a youngster handle this new marvel; I was in the company of my Father. I don't remember the cost, clearly out of my budget, and my Father, an Ashaiflex IIa shooter, gently informed me that one camera system was quite enough. I was left with my dreams. The M3 was the finest rangefinder camera I've ever handled. I love my Vitessa L and Retina IIIc, but I'd trade them in a New York minute for a M3!

I still can't really afford a M3 and the two or three lenses to use with it. I don't remember the price back in the day but I have the impression that clean examples today probably sell for more than they did new. Of course we're talking deflated dollars...Hmmm....
03-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

You'll be delighted to know that my mother bought a lieca at a garage sale, clear in gout a dead spouses's stuff, for $5. She decided to give it to my son. My then father-in-law convinced my mother that it was too good a camera for my son , then 8, and bought it from her for, you guessed it 5 dollars. I never told my father-in-law to go f*&% himself, but he certainly deserved it. The man knew exactly what it was worth.
03-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You'll be delighted to know that my mother bought a lieca at a garage sale, clear in gout a dead spouses's stuff, for $5. She decided to give it to my son. My then father-in-law convinced my mother that it was too good a camera for my son , then 8, and bought it from her for, you guessed it 5 dollars. I never told my father-in-law to go f*&% himself, but he certainly deserved it. The man knew exactly what it was worth.
Jeez! When I go to garage sales I'm lucky to find a classic stapler!

03-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

One thing though. Why can't others build small lenses like Leica? The Sony 50 1.8 for the NEX is larger than the Leica 50 1.4. Pentax makes some small primes, but many are a little slow. By the way, I'd get the titanium version they had awhile back for about the same price.
03-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
One thing though. Why can't others build small lenses like Leica? The Sony 50 1.8 for the NEX is larger than the Leica 50 1.4. Pentax makes some small primes, but many are a little slow. By the way, I'd get the titanium version they had awhile back for about the same price.
completely different beasts. you aren't comparing apples to apples here. the leica summilux 50 1.4 is a mechanical manual focus lens. the sony is an electronic AF lens with on board focus motor. also, rangefinders by design can utilize lenses that are designed to focus much closer to the film plane, therefore can be made physically smaller on the exterior.
03-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
completely different beasts. you aren't comparing apples to apples here. the leica summilux 50 1.4 is a mechanical manual focus lens. the sony is an electronic AF lens with on board focus motor. also, rangefinders by design can utilize lenses that are designed to focus much closer to the film plane, therefore can be made physically smaller on the exterior.
your right about the MF but the lens to film (sensor) plane on a nex is even smaller so should allow a smaller lens, but the af offsets that. I think sony could make a smaller lens but only if they were Pentax (I mean really look at how small the limiteds are, you would think they could be designed for the shorter plane while remaining small.)

03-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Wow...I would have bought a ninja suit, give it to my wife, and send her in a quest to recover the 5$ treasure ! I would have given her a tent and food for few days, but other than that, until mission accomplished, she would have been on her own!