Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need A Little Help With Minolta Gear...

Over the past few months quite by I've somehow managed to acquire a nice lot of Minolta gear including two cameras, 6 lenses, and a 2X converter. I'm finding a looking up a lot of this a bit confusing. Minolta used so many names on their lenses. I can't tell if anything here is better or not. I'm trying to make this up as a sell lot so hopefully I can pay for my black SPII to be fixed but I don't know what to price it all at. I could really use some help any info or opinions you might be able to give. Anyone here familiar with Minolta gear? I think I read somewhere that the Rokkor X lenses were good, but I can't remember now. Thanks!

List:

Minolta XG-M
Minolta X-700

MD Celtic 28MM 1:2.8
MC Soligor 28MM C/D Wide Auto 1:2.8
MD Rokkor-X 45MM 1:2
MD Rokkor-X 50MM 1:1.7
MC Phoenix/Samyang Auto Zoom 1:3.5-4.5 28-70MM
MC Super Albinar Auto Zoom 1:4.5 80-200
MC/MD Soligor Tele-Converter 2X

Last edited by magkelly; 04-08-2012 at 08:51 PM.
04-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I sold an MD Celtic 135/3.5 I got in a box of stuff with a STak 135/3.5 which is what I really wanted on eBay last year. Only got $10-11 for it. Suggests the Celtic name is not considered premium.

I even got $33 for a 135/2.8 Prinz Rexetar, with box and orignal papers that I bought in the same box. I had expected to have the prices fall the other way around.

Both were in good to excellent condition - appeared virtually unused.
04-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the Celtic name is sort of like the K mount Takumar, if you know what I mean, or the Nikon E series. They are better than their reputations... I have the 28/2.8 Celtic and it is a fine lens, I see little reason to upgrade.

The two Rokkor-X's are also good ones, again I have both, and have enjoyed using them. Really nice Minolta glass. But (still) low priced as they are very common.

The MD's are easy to use on the mirrorless cameras such as the NEX or micro 4/3's... Adapters aren't that much, and I've seen excellent results. So there is a modern platform for these, and thus prices may begin to rise.

Of the others, the Soligor might fetch a bit more than the Celtic, but the others are bottom-feed.
04-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #4

I have an XG-M, and also an X-700. The -M was made for perhaps two years tops, the X-700 was in production for about 18 years. Some folks say the later 700s made in China were not quite as well made as the earlier production models from Japan. If I recall, the XG-M was made in late '81 and '82, the X-700 may have been introduced in '82. I don't have any experience with the Celtic lenses, just the Rokker X and some aftermarket lenses. They didn't have the following of Nikon in professional circles, but have a reputation for being sharp, contrasty and well made lenses.

There was also an X-570 which some folks preferred over the 700, not a large seller though.

My Minoltas were purchased from Ebay vendors; as a starving college student in the early '80s I often drooled
over the back page cover ads for the 700 in Pop Photo. Now I have one. And I need to shoot it more!